Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collings Tailpiece Strap-button Removal

Default Re: Collings Tailpiece Strap-button Removal

Some companies seem to enjoy doing things in annoying ways and I feel it’s the job of cafe contributors to uncover them. There’s the insistence by Fylde in always putting a fretboard marker on the wrong fret - which annoys the hell out of me everytime I head for a top D without thinking, and now there’s Collings gluing in the endpin. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be their only foible. There’s the tuners with odd length shafts and if you should want to add a pickguard, they’ll fit one for you but they won’t sell you one - great if you live on the opposite side of the Atlantic. Caveat emptor.

Same on my MT. I can tell when the humidity drops when the end pin won't stay in.

Collings glues end pins on their guitars too, but to their credit they fit them to the collar. Not all manufacturers get that detail right. They simply don't want the end pins coming loose. They glue the tuner bushings in too. The bushings are easier to get out than the end pins. Plastic end pins can be loosened more simply than the ebony ones. I tend to break those, so I'm more apt to drill them.

FWIW, I glue my endpins as well....but very little, just a drop from the point of a toothpick. That's enough to keep an endpin in place during normal use, but I can easily break it free if I need to get it out. Again, that works better with plastic.