Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case for mandocaster

Default Re: Case for mandocaster

The prettiest/nicest looking cases I've seen are by G&G and they are rectangular cases styled as an exact copy of the old 60's Fender cases and are available in those colors and linings. Probably a custom order thing, but I was in a guitar shop and saw a rectangular "Fender" style tolex case on the counter and assumed it had a mandocaster inside...........I opened it and nope -- it was empty! It was a brand new G&G case. I asked the employee and he said it was for a Keisel/Carvin headless Allan Holdsworth guitar that he was working on for a customer. Anyway, end of discussion and I didn't measure it, but sure looked like it would be a great case for mandocaster.......cases on their website list at $400 and are discounted at $200 for direct sales, but again that model and its dimensions are not listed on the Keisel website.....a phone call might be in order. Otherwise, possibly call G&G direct. Super nice looking case like they used to build 50 years ago! NFI.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Anyhow, it’s quite a nice case. Well made but probbaly not so rugged that you’d want to be slung around by baggage handlers. The Mandostrat fits; just. It’s not what you’d call a snug fit as the top and bottom edges of the mandolin body over-ride the case padding to some extent but there is ample padding in the case lid to stop the mandolin moving around once the lid is closed.
    Thanks for the feedback Ray. So do you reckon a decent enough step up from a padded gig bag or similar?
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Ray. So do you reckon a decent enough step up from a padded gig bag or similar?
    I’d probably look for something better fitting and stronger if it was for an acoustic mandolin but it’s perfectly adequate for a block of wood with strings. Personally, I hate gig bags - I only keep my solid body Godin guitar in one because it came with it and it never goes out of the house - they stop an instrument getting scratched but they wouldn’t offer much protection if someone stood on it.

Some of may cases are worth more than I paid for the Mandostrat so it’s a matter of horses for courses. I have a TKL “F” style case, hardly used and gathering dust, but the ‘strat doesn’t fit in it.

5. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Beanzy 

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Well, it’s arrived - no thanks DHL. <snip>
    Oh mate, don't get me started on DHL!

I ordered a Gear4Music Double Neck back at the first of July, shipped DHL from the UK. Should have taken about a week, aye? Bloody thing took near on a month, because while I paid for end-to-end from DHL, they handed it off to the bleeding USPS, which doesn't service my address on account of I don't have a physical box at my house (security issues, I have script-by-mail, and there are teens in the neighborhood--only a fool would have a mailbox with that combination--it's not so very long ago I was a teen, I remember those days). So rather than *call* me, they sent it return to sender. That started this long kerfuffle where I was on the phone 2-3 times a day with DHL AND the USPS trying to find my bloody package and get it to me.

Ultimately, I had to drive to the DHL International Hub nearly an hour away from my house and pick it up before they shipped it back to the UK. Not a pleasant experience. And to this DAY, the USPS thinks they have the package, and it's "out for delivery," has been since July 27, at 0710 hours.

Anyroad, back *on* topic, that's good information to know about the case. Good starting place if I decide to get a Mandocaster after all, though likely, with the way things are going in my life, it'll end up hung on the wall behind my computer. The spouse is on me about getting my instruments "up and out of the way," so I need to get on that game here soon, methinks.
    Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.-Geralt of Rivia

Serve... Save... Slave... Slay... I've sins aplenty, aye. But regrets? Not so much.-Fray Myste

It's the best and strongest steel that goes through the hottest fires.-Me

Hello,
    I hope I'm right here.
    I was looking for a GOOD protecting softcase for one of my Almuse electrics and found

https://www.blueheroncases.com/

In 2019 I bought my first case and I am still convinced of its quality. Yesterday I ordered a second case. They make them made to measure.

http://www.uli-boesking.de/teletele/...blueheron1.jpg
    http://www.uli-boesking.de/teletele/...blueheron2.jpg

I have travelled several times with the Almuse in the BlueHeron case by plane. The instrument still is of good health

... or a REAL case

http://www.uli-boesking.de/teletele/...se_sketch1.png
    http://www.uli-boesking.de/teletele/...se_sketch2.png

sorry - next week I'll post real photos. The case is like my guitar case: a trolley. The mando case has a tele handle.

http://www.uli-boesking.de/teletele/...guitarcase.jpg

Prices are more or less same softcase and flightcase: about / slightly over EUR 300,00