Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case for mandocaster

Default Case for mandocaster

Hi everyone,

I’ve just bought a fender mandocaster and am looking for a case for it.

The originals came with a small a small version of the fender tweed case. Something like that would be great but the options seem really limited. Hard cases are either form fitted, for f or a mandolins, and soft cases have too much room as they are for thicker bodies, meaning it’s loose inside bouncing about and pulls the case out of shape making it uncomfortable to carry.

I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas of the best options for me or what they have found for their mandos. I’d also rather not spend £200 on the original 60s tweed case that’s up for sale on reverb!!

So for style I’d go for a mando size tweed case but failing that a gig bag that fits it well would be good. I’m based in the UK.

Any help much appreciated!

Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

Default Re: Case for mandocaster

Unfortunately £400 is WAY beyond what I’d look to pay!

I still don’t have a case for mine but some people hav suggested a “gun” case. I doubt whether these are as available in the UK as in the US but it might be worth looking. Please let us know how you get on.

When I bought my reissue 4 string when they first came out, a soft case was available through fender. I got one. Fits well and protects it. Lots of storage too. I jazzed mine up with a moongazer bridge, an almuse pickup and les paul jr. pots..it screams now and plays in tune. No thin sounding E string on this one now.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Thanks Vernon, these are definitely mods I’m looking at, thanks for the bridge info too it’s a question I was saving for later. Do you have a photo of the case, might be able to find something similar. Thanks.

The Almuse pickup is a worthwhile upgrade and it takes longer to put the strings back than to fit it. I’m not sure whether the Moongazer bridge is currently available though.

Blog Entries

This looks decent https://www.southernukulelestore.co....t-and-soprano/
    currently out of stock there, but maybe give them a call to see whn they reckon they"ll have more.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

That looks good, thanks.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I use a tenor ukulels case for mine. I need a towel under the headstock, otherwise it fits perfectly. Mine also came with a soft case, so I use whichever is most appropriate.

The uke case cost about 70.00, whereas a custom case was gong to be about the cost of the mando...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    currently out of stock there, but maybe give them a call to see whn they reckon they"ll have more.
    just saw Thomann have them https://www.thomann.de/gb/risa_abs_c...or_ukulele.htm they give internal dimensions as ; 72 cm x 23 cm x 5,5 cm
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Thanks a lot!

I have one of the Fender Mandocaster re-issues. I've never cared for gig-bags and needed a case when I bought it. I purchased the Gator GC Mandolin case and have been very pleased. It's a solid case, not crazy expensive and holds the mandolin well.

Here's the case on the manufacturers website. https://www.gatorcases.com/products/...e-gc-mandolin/
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    They're possibly a tight fit for a Mandostrat but I've got one coming on Wednesday - I'll keep you posted.

16. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Beanzy 

Great! Thanks, that would be good to know.

Would like to see the results of this, as I'm seriously contemplating buying one of the Harley Benton Mandocaster knockoffs, and a hardcase would not go amiss.
    Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.-Geralt of Rivia

Serve... Save... Slave... Slay... I've sins aplenty, aye. But regrets? Not so much.-Fray Myste

It's the best and strongest steel that goes through the hottest fires.-Me

Pelican Case.

'Some of the toughest cases in the world. I used them in the military, on Mount Everest, and for 25 days on a raft down the Grand Canyon....oh yeah, and 500+ gigs & thousands of non gig days....

They have 100s of sizes & colors, one like this is close:
    https://www.pelican.com/us/en/produc...u=1700-000-110
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

My go to case for almost all my instruments is a hardshell rectangle from Access bags and cases.

Exclamation Re: Case for mandocaster

My Godin A8 fit in an F case.

When I got my 8 string Fender FM 61,
    I got the case they made for them at the time..

we still had a local music store back then..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks so far everyone. It seems the cases are really expensive, £200+ and even then quite bulky, or really cheap and I’m pretty certain the mando wouldn’t fit in! I think I might look at making one in the style of the old fender tweeds.

Peter,

The rectangular Hiscox case would be a good bet. New they’re about £100, but I’ve picked up a couple used for £50. I use one for my telecaster style emando. The good thing is they’re very versatile cases in terms of design and work equally well for most mandolins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4F9893B3-26DD-44FA-9B60-AEBF61406F4F.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	625.3 KB 
ID:	188013

Regards,

Interesting topic that I am glad someone addressed. I just finished building a Mandocaster and have been contemplating a case. I still may build one for it but this thread has given me some options. Thanks.
    KEEP IT SQUATCHY!!
    "...praise Him with STRINGED INSTRUMENTS..." Psalm 150:4

It’s a really limited selection, really bulky or ill fitting. I’m really looking for something the size of the original fender cases or a fitted gig bag. Looks like it’ll have to be custom!

Well, it’s arrived - no thanks DHL. Quite how the delivery man managed to sneak past the dining room window to hide the parcel and avoid avoid having to ring the doorbell is difficult to imagine. Only when, half an hour after the delivery window had expired, I checked the DHL website and found that I had apparently signed for it two hours earlier.

Anyhow, it’s quite a nice case. Well made but probbaly not so rugged that you’d want to be slung around by baggage handlers. The Mandostrat fits; just. It’s not what you’d call a snug fit as the top and bottom edges of the mandolin body over-ride the case padding to some extent but there is ample padding in the case lid to stop the mandolin moving around once the lid is closed.

I suspect that the Hiscox is a better made case but the basic price is higher than the RISA, it’s overall outside dimensions are (I expect) larger as it’s built for acoustic mandolins and I doubt whether it’s a snug enoigh fit to prevent a solid body electric mandolin from slopping around.

The case came from World of Ukes in Carlisle (NFI) and from me asking them for dimensions to it’s arrival took less than 2 days. They currently have them in stock for £89.95 inc delivery (of sorts!).

27. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Beanzy