Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Received my Ebay Stradolin

Default Received my Ebay Stradolin

I've had an urge to tinker lately and after reading about Stradolins I decided to get one and it arrived yesterday and I'm in the process of cleaning it up. I think that it is a solid top with laminate back and sides, have no idea how old it is. No cracks, lots of scratches, and some paint (?) on it. The tuners seem to turn decently once I got the old strings off and put a little oil on them. Fretboard, frets, and nut seem to be in good shape.

The seller indicated that there was something akin to a AA battery rattling around inside but that she wasn't sure what it was. It turned out to be a little Hershey's candy tube that I rolled over to the side and drilled into the end and lifted out thru one of the circles. I sent the seller an email to tell that the mystery was solved and she said that she probably put it there when she was a kid (the mandolin belonged to her grandfather).

I've already messed up the bridge/saddle in that when I took things apart to clean the bridge came apart and I can't figure out how to get it back together but I'll post that in build and repair.

Rob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strad7.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	1,003.7 KB 
ID:	187956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strad1.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	574.8 KB 
ID:	187954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strad8.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	731.2 KB 
ID:	187961

Name:	Strad6.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	342.4 KB 
ID:	187957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strad4.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	187955

Name:	Strad5.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	782.4 KB 
ID:	187958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strad2.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	485.9 KB 
ID:	187959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strad3.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	536.3 KB 
ID:	187960

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robw95 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Received my Ebay Stradolin

Nice! I hope you love your Strad-O-Lin as much as I love mine!
    Did you get to play it before you started tinkering, or did it come without strings?

Sue

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Thanks Sue! No, the strings were way too rusty so they were the first to go. I remember your Stradolin posts from a month or two ago, glad to hear that you are still enjoying yours.

Rob

6. The following members say thank you to robw95 for this post:

Looks good! I'm just starting to learn about these. Yours looks sound, in need of a bit of care. Seems to be missing a tailpiece cover and scratch plate (pick guard). But they aren't part of the load-bearing structure. At least you have a complete bridge with adjusting screws. Good luck in getting it playable - could be a very nice result.

yeah, some people are dealing with strangely glued bridges and various shims

9. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Cobalt 

I have an Eastman 605 and an old Stradolin my friend inherriited and gifted to me. I had the Stradolin cleaned and setup and it sounds better than my Eastman (except that I have one fret that isn't working on the E string, so I may have to get that fixed since I couldn't just hammer it in.) My Eastman is a far prettier instrument, but that Stardolin really sings. Seems to have a voice of its own.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elliot Luber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    I have an Eastman 605 and an old Stradolin my friend inherriited and gifted to me. I had the Stradolin cleaned and setup and it sounds better than my Eastman (except that I have one fret that isn't working on the E string, so I may have to get that fixed since I couldn't just hammer it in.) My Eastman is a far prettier instrument, but that Stardolin really sings. Seems to have a voice of its own.
    Yes, that sounds familiar. I have an Eastman 305, it's well-made and looks nice, but it's hard work to extract any sound from it. The recently-acquired Stradolin barely needs a light touch of the strings to get a ringing sound pouring forth, right across the range to the highest frets.

I really hope Robw95's instrument lives up to expectations. It certainly looks promising.

13. The following members say thank you to Cobalt for this post:

I wanna know more about that candy wrapper.......
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

All these Stradolins showing up make me slightly regret selling mine to my duet partner. They really are surprisingly good. Enjoy yours.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

16. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Yes, that sounds familiar. I have an Eastman 305, it's well-made and looks nice, but it's hard work to extract any sound from it. The recently-acquired Stradolin barely needs a light touch of the strings to get a ringing sound pouring forth, right across the range to the highest frets.

I really hope Robw95's instrument lives up to expectations. It certainly looks promising.
    As everybody knows by now mine is also wonderful in comparison to my Kentucky 200S. Like Elliot says, next to the Stradolin, playing the Kentucky is tough.

Robw95, I have confidence that yours will be just as awesome and you will love the sound of it! Hope you get it back together quick!

I'm also curious about the candy wrapper.

Ha, the candy wrapper was actually a tube rolling around in the cavity of the instrument. The only way that it could have ended up there if it was put thru one of the circles of the F hole. I was lucky to be able to get it out on the first try!

Does anybody have a guess as to how old my Stradolin is?

Rob

19. The following members say thank you to robw95 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by robw95 View Post

Does anybody have a guess as to how old my Stradolin is?
    It's worth having a careful look inside, some of them have the date stamped on the back, apparently somewhere towards the neck.

(I looked inside mine and can't see any sign of such a thing, no markings of any kind).

Blog Entries

Hey Rob, yours is in better shape than mine but the one I have is a lower end sunburst from the 30’s. The tone is dry and its sustain is prominent. Congrats and enjoy yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    It's worth having a careful look inside, some of them have the date stamped on the back, apparently somewhere towards the neck.

(I looked inside mine and can't see any sign of such a thing, no markings of any kind).
    Sometimes old ink stamps will show up with ultraviolet (black) light.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nevin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Sometimes old ink stamps will show up with ultraviolet (black) light.
    Good idea. I couldn't see anything via a dental mirror and flashlight, I'll buy a $10 blacklight flashlight next time I place an Amazon order.

Rob

That's a good looking Stradolin, definitely solid top. Fretboard looks great, did you polish the frets ? It should sound great once you string it up. Congrats !!

26. The following members say thank you to JRG for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robw95 View Post
    Does anybody have a guess as to how old my Stradolin is? Rob
    There is no way of telling the exact year of manufacture unless there is a date stamp. 1930's is likely by the straight slot (and adjustable) tuners but it could be 1941 or 1942 (pre-War). After WWII the tuners had rivets instead of straight slot screws.

As far as telling if it's laminated on the back... see if you can match up the outside grain with the inside. You will probably need a pen light for the inside of the back.

I would like to get Mike Edgerton's opinion on this SOL. He is the Grand Master when it comes to Stradolins. I think there is a good chance this has a solid back and sides.

Also, don't worry about that bridge. I've had them come apart like that but there are only so many ways it can go back together.

I gotta say, I am glad to see so many wonderful Stradolin people catching the deal of the century.
    Sometimes for only $186.45. Way to go Rob!

Stay safe,
    Michael W.

28. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

robw95 

Looking closely at the painted edges to simulate binding, glue seams are visual. Compare what you see with the top and the lines in the back. i like it a lot and hope it sounds and plays to suit you.

Your mandolin has Waverly tuners- not Kluson units and this probably means it is from the 1950s, assuming they are original to it and not replacements. If it had originally had Kluson tuners then I would expect to see the imprint showing the scalloped ends to the plates. Here is one with the same Waverly tuners that the seller thinks is a 1950s instrument and he wonders if they are original but there is no imprint of an earlier set that was any different in shape. Indeed, they are exactly the same as on your mandolin which suggests both mandolins have original tuners:

https://jakesmainstreetmusic.com/pro...=1236936359961

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Your mandolin has Waverly tuners- not Kluson units and this probably means it is from the 1950s, assuming they are original to it and not replacements. If it had originally had Kluson tuners then I would expect to see the imprint showing the scalloped ends to the plates. Here is one with the same Waverly tuners that the seller thinks is a 1950s instrument and he wonders if they are original but there is no imprint of an earlier set that was any different in shape. Indeed, they are exactly the same as on your mandolin which suggests both mandolins have original tuners:

https://jakesmainstreetmusic.com/pro...=1236936359961
    Great detective work Nick, that one looks exactly like mine.

This might be sacrilege to SOL purists but I'm likely going to replace some of the original parts:

1. The tuners, even after being oiled are still very difficult to turn so I'm going to get some inexpensive tuners.
    2. I want to put a strap button on the tailpiece so I'll need a new one of those since the current one won't accommodate a strap button.
    3. The thumbwheels on the bridge are still giving me a problem so I think that I'll get a new bridge/saddle.

Watch out StewMac I'm headed to your website!

Stay safe all. Rob

I have a set of those Waverly tuners on an old Kay- they are replacements for a set of Kluson tuners- you can see the outline of the scalloped ends of the Kluson tuners at either end of the Waverly units which are a bit shorter in length. Kluson tuners suffered from the buttons going brittle, cracking and falling off- and that's why they were replaced. Today, you would re-button them but years ago, nobody would bother- least of all, on a cheap Kay mandolin! Now, the tuners were very stiff on this mandolin (which I bought for parts but decided to mend!) but I persevered with them- often you find it is not the tuners themselves- they can bind in the holes or the gear may be too tightly screwed down. Anyway, if you want new ones, then that's not a Big Deal. Obviously, if you get a new bridge, then you have to fit it to the top which can be a chore! However, as long as you enjoy your mandolin, that's the main thing. Here's another one with the earlier incarnation of the Waverly tuner before they returned to the "bell end" style like on yours that they had used in the late 20s- early 30s before going for utilitarian square ends- for the Depression era! Stradolins did have Kluson tuners but presumably went to Waverly some time in the late 40s. I need to get my hands on a set of tuners like this- with the five screw holes- three is common but five is rare it seems. You can see only three have screws in them on this mandolin! Should have bought the three screw version! It could also be somebody being lazy!

https://reverb.com/au/item/5687200-v...olin-stradolin

Here's another -saving money and time on screws at the factory!
    https://retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=7357

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

What with the price of strads, i'd think you'd find fewer people worry about replacing original parts -- they're funky and cool, but i don't see them as museum pieces that need to be coddled. OTOH, my strad has had a neck reset, new tuners and a new bridge, so i'm certainly not what you'd call a purist! My strad plays wonderfully with a nice carrying sound. alas, the neck is too fat for me anymore (curse you, osteoarthritis!) so it's spent more time in the case than out. The OP's looks like a lovely example and I hope is everything it promises to be!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

36. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

robw95 

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Your mandolin has Waverly tuners- not Kluson units and this probably means it is from the 1950s, assuming they are original to it and not replacements.
    Were all Doomed , I tell ya! They are Waverlys! (My Bad) ...but any tuners could be replacements.

I remember two distinct things happened in September 1970 while I was working in a music store... I realized, people modified their instruments (sometimes, more than they played them) and while I was thinking that thought, over the radio, there was an announcement that Jimi Hendrix had died!!! While I couldn't make sense of either bit of information, I moved on with my day.

I have had several laminated Stradolins (and two laminated guitars) that sounded really good. I mean REALLY GOOD. Laminated instruments have been produced for over a century and some of the oldest ones play quite well.

Listen to your instrument. It will tell you if its any good.

Very nice looking mandolin, can you post a vid when it’s all fixed up? and thanks for the story about it.

Well done at removing the candy tube, I got to thinking about how to remove something from a mando, probably some threads on that.
    One idea was a long thin rod with a dot of superglue at the end, the other my favourite, was a straw that’s attached to a vacuum cleaner tube. Never tried either, so not sure if they’d even work...

I think the candy tube is the Strad's version of a rattlesnake tail.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com