Thread: Messed up my bridge/saddle ...

Default Messed up my bridge/saddle ...

Just got an Ebay Stradolin here and took it apart to clean it and can't figure out to get the bridge and saddle back together. Two questions:

1. The thread that connects the bridge and saddle has a uniform end and a cut/beveled end. Is the cut/beveled end intended to be threaded from underneath the bridge and then the thumbwheel screws down onto it or do you thread down from the top of the bridge or does it not matter?

2. Does the saddle screw on to the thread or just rest on the thumbwheel under string pressure?

Thanks! Rob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stradolin bridge and saddle.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	673.8 KB 
ID:	187963

Default Re: Messed up my bridge/saddle ...

With most bridges, the holes don't go right through the base, so naturally they are inserted from the top. The saddle just rests on the thumbwheels, held only by string pressure. One important thing is to make sure the metal screws don't protrude from under the base, that could damage the top of the mandolin.

But I'm still learning about the Stradolin, maybe things are done differently. I'd wait for replies from those with more familiarity here.

Actually I'm puzzled here. When the bridge was first removed from the Stradolin, were the screws not already firmly screwed into place? There should have been no need to detach them unless they simply fell out. But if they fell out that implies the holes are too big, doesn't it? Something doesn't quite make sense to me.

I assume you have another thumbwheel somewhere?

The base (bottom piece) is the only threaded part. How the ends of the screws are finished doesn’t matter in any way. The saddle holes are not threaded and are big enough to clear the screw threads with a little play. As said, if the base, as shown, is drilled all the way through, and you put the screws in too deep, they will puncture the mandolin. If the thumbwheels ‘stick’ to the screws, you could be doing this without knowing it. Maybe safer, if it’s apart, to put a dot of glue on the base hole at the bottom to help avoid this. In reality, the holes should be blind-tapped, but that’s more fuss.
    Make sure the fit of the thumbwheels is good on both sides, and the screws show no wear; if not, replace.
    I have a 50’s Stradolin, but am not going to unstring it to see how the holes are threaded!

6. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Cobalt 

Also check the fit of the base of the bridge to make sure you put it on right. Treble side and bass side are usually different. Try it both ways and put it the way it fits the top best.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Actually I'm puzzled here. When the bridge was first removed from the Stradolin, were the screws not already firmly screwed into place? There should have been no need to detach them unless they simply fell out. But if they fell out that implies the holes are too big, doesn't it? Something doesn't quite make sense to me.
    I took it apart to be able to clean it and condition the whole bridge/saddle with linseed oil. That was a mistake, I should have just left well enough alone

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I assume you have another thumbwheel somewhere?
    Yes, it was set to the side when I took the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    The base (bottom piece) is the only threaded part. How the ends of the screws are finished doesn’t matter in any way. The saddle holes are not threaded and are big enough to clear the screw threads with a little play. As said, if the base, as shown, is drilled all the way through, and you put the screws in too deep, they will puncture the mandolin. If the thumbwheels ‘stick’ to the screws, you could be doing this without knowing it. Maybe safer, if it’s apart, to put a dot of glue on the base hole at the bottom to help avoid this. In reality, the holes should be blind-tapped, but that’s more fuss.
    Make sure the fit of the thumbwheels is good on both sides, and the screws show no wear; if not, replace.
    I have a 50’s Stradolin, but am not going to unstring it to see how the holes are threaded!
    Thank you, that makes sense. The base is drilled all the way thru so I like your idea of the drop of glue to create a dead end. The thumbwheels are sticking to the screws, so it might make most sense to just replace the thumbwheels and screws. I would like to avoid creating a new saddle so if need be I'll just order a new bridge/saddle combo and just plop my saddle on top of the new bridge. I saw a couple online last night and even though most of the bridges were about 4 1/2 inches (my bridge is about 3 1/2 inches), the post hole to post hole measurement on the saddle were the same as mine so I'm thinking that it could work. Thanks again.

Rob

Take some paraffin wax and rub on the screws, then put the wheels on and off and see if they work better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!