Thread: Update From The Mandolin Store

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Default Update From The Mandolin Store

Received the following broadcast email from The Mandolin Store this morning. Text as follows as an FYI for those who may not have received it:

Hello Friends,

I'd like to start off by saying thank you for your continued support through your well wishes, thoughts, and prayers. Summer has been challenging for all of us. Not only has the year brought challenges that none of us could have imagined with COVID-19 but shortly after getting settled here in Tennessee my dads (Dennis) kidney function continued to rapidly decline.

I receive questions daily and I figure the best way to update everyone is through our email. Dad recently spent 9 days in the hospital and they also put in a port for dialysis before he could return home. His kidney function now lies at a 4 and he received news that he will need a dual transplant (kidney & liver) and has been placed on a waiting list as they must come from the same deceased donor.

Dad will never be one to ask for support and many have asked how they can help. His birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and with his health issues I am asking if possible to send us a Happy Birthday video as I think it would do a lot to boost his morale and help his continued fight with his kidney disease. If you aren't sure how to send us one you can text it to our store number (623) 933-8319 or email it to me. I am planning to combine them as one video to play for him.

The day to day function of TMS hasn't been negatively impacted and we are still shipping everything within 1-2 business days per usual.

I thank you for your continued patronage and look forward to serving you in the future.

Regards,
    Zach Vance

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NursingDaBlues For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: Update From The Mandolin Store

I was just thinking of making a thread for this topic. I’ve never met Dennis but he seems universally well-liked and I plan to submit a video for him. Now that TMS is just two hours away from me, I’d love to make a visit when it’s safe.

I bought my first mandolin from Dennis back in 2003-04 timeframe and have had nothing but a great relationship with him since then.

Then there was a great day he decided to move TMS out here to Arizona to be near his Dad and Mom. That worked for me! I was still a good 45 minute drive away, so I'd make a day of it; have lunch with he , and Brian, or just him, then head back to the store for a couple of hours of playing the latest cool stuff he had at the store. Those were special times for me, getting the chance to play some choice instruments and spend the afternoon talking shop with him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; the stories you've heard about him are very, very true. He is a great guy and a pillar in the mandolin community (for a reason!) and I am hoping the day he is back in his store, healthier than ever, comes as soon as possible.

5. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

hank 

Dennis is simply "the best"!

my thoughts and prayers are for 100% recovery and continued health henceforth.

I have three mandolins in the house from TMS, all 3 simply superb and wonderful music makers.

d

I only purchased a couple of times from TMS. Dennis was great to deal with - helpful, friendly and honest. I am sure those attributes flowed from his father.

Best wishes to Dennis and his father. Stay strong and keep the faith!

If you are not an organ donor, you need to be one. The Mayo Clinic says that 20 people die every day because of a shortage of organ donors.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

Registered User Robert Mitchell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sad to hear about Dennis,,,,dealt with him quite a bit over the years
    Always a pleasure,,,a great guy!!!PRAYERS for a full recovery.
    MITCH

GIBSON 2016 F9 CUSTOM
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2011 F5
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2005 F5

Oh gosh. I was going to call him today with a bunch of newbie questions. Thank you for the post. I am just an accessory customer for now, but wear their short proudly. Prayers sent to Dennis and his family.

Hello all. I appreciate the prayers and concern about my dad, Dennis. I just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that we are still open and functioning as "normal." Sure, it's a little different without my dad physically in the store daily but the only process that has changed for us is the way we receive our inbound shipment. Prior to my dad going down, he began working closely with Adam McIntosh on setups to make sure they would meet the standard that he had set. So from that standpoint nothing has changed there either as Adam is doing great setup work. Adam did some in the past when he worked with us at TMS in Arizona. We are also still shipping all orders within 1-2 business days. For those of you who've made a purchase since our move to TN you are already aware of some of the changes as I've been fielding 100% of the phone calls/text messages and about 95% of the emails. This isn't my first experience with TMS as I grew up in it and worked for him in Arizona for a few years. I might not have the lifetime of experience that he has but if I don't know the answer, I know a guy that does....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nlopez View Post
    Oh gosh. I was going to call him today with a bunch of newbie questions. Thank you for the post. I am just an accessory customer for now, but wear their short proudly. Prayers sent to Dennis and his family.
    You're always welcome to give us a call - we are still available and functioning as normal.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zach Vance For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I should also note that all the products showing out of stock for the most part are on backorder due to how busy it's been. We've got hundreds of mandolins on order but COVID has significantly slow down the manufacturers. As a matter of fact we will be receiving more than 150 mandolins in the next 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Vance View Post
    Hello all. I appreciate the prayers and concern about my dad, Dennis. I just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that we are still open and functioning as "normal." Sure, it's a little different without my dad physically in the store daily but the only process that has changed for us is the way we receive our inbound shipment. Prior to my dad going down, he began working closely with Adam McIntosh on setups to make sure they would meet the standard that he had set. So from that standpoint nothing has changed there either as Adam is doing great setup work. Adam did some in the past when he worked with us at TMS in Arizona. We are also still shipping all orders within 1-2 business days. For those of you who've made a purchase since our move to TN you are already aware of some of the changes as I've been fielding 100% of the phone calls/text messages and about 95% of the emails. This isn't my first experience with TMS as I grew up in it and worked for him in Arizona for a few years. I might not have the lifetime of experience that he has but if I don't know the answer, I know a guy that does....
    I can attest from the buyer's side that there's noticeable change to service and quality since you've moved to TN. Late last Friday night, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Trinity Octave that's been calling my name for quite a while. Monday morning it was shipped and it showed up on my doorstep Wednesday. It came in pristine condition and was set up perfectly. What a joy to pull it out of the box, open the case, try not to drool on it, tune it up, and play it without a hitch. Exactly what I expected from TMS.

Zach, thank you for keeping us up to date. You and your team have got this. Praying for your dad, his recovery, and successful candidate for transplant.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Thanks Zach. Praying for you all.

Good thoughts, vibes, whatever for Dennis, a staunch and valuable member of our mandolin community.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

The Mandolin Store is absolutely running! Zach Vance has stepped in for his father while he recuperates and the store will continue to offer the very best prices and personal service. I’ve bought 3 Mandolins and my daughter bought hers from them. I spoke with Zach just a few days ago for string advice. They really do treat you as family even though I’ve never personally met them.

18. The following members say thank you to Bidgie for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I’m not tech savvy enough to make a video and send it to Dennis, but I will send my thoughts and prayers to him during his illness. Everything you hear about Dennis and TMS here on MC is true. Dennis is a great guy, a straight shooter and a square dealer. I always enjoyEd the conversations we’ve had, and Dennis has given advice to me on mandolins that weren’t Even for sale at TMS. That’s the kind of guy he is. Get well soon, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I’m not tech savvy enough to make a video and send it to Dennis, but I will send my thoughts and prayers to him during his illness. Everything you hear about Dennis and TMS here on MC is true. Dennis is a great guy, a straight shooter and a square dealer. I always enjoyEd the conversations we’ve had, and Dennis has given advice to me on mandolins that weren’t Even for sale at TMS. That’s the kind of guy he is. Get well soon, Dennis.
    Steve, thanks for the kind words.

Anybody who is interested and not sure how, if you have an iPhone just a quick recording you can text it to that store number, email, or share it via DropBox with zach@themandolinstore.com For those who have sent, I am grateful for the few minutes you've taken out...a couple of them may make him shed a tear or 2.

I bought a mandolin from your Dad a while back, but I think I am one of those perpetual beginners. I would be embarrassed to do a video for your Dad, but I can and will pray for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on his condition.

Quote Originally Posted by SOMorris View Post
    I bought a mandolin from your Dad a while back, but I think I am one of those perpetual beginners. I would be embarrassed to do a video for your Dad, but I can and will pray for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on his condition.
    I actually didn’t expect the videos to be of everyone playing, but just a quick note and a happy birthday but it’s been about 50/50. I wouldn’t want to play in front of a camera either! He’s hanging in there and we’re hoping he may get to leave the hospital early next week. That being said he will have dialysis daily in the short term until he finally gets the transplants but he’s still in good spirits!