Thread: Pantograph

Default Pantograph

I can't seem to find anything about listing tools for sale.

Can anyone tell me.... Is it okay to post a pantograph for sale here?

Wes Brandt

Portland, Oregon
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

2. The following members say thank you to Wes Brandt for this post:

Default Re: Pantograph

"mandolin builder's pantograph"...
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

There's a classifieds link above for buying and selling. Not allowed on the forums.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    "mandolin builder's pantograph"...
    At least bass players are always social distancing. Ahead of the curve. :-)
    Take that however you darn well please

<Removed by Moderator, please limit commerce to the Classifieds, and yes you can post lutherie tools in the classifieds, you'll also get a larger audience there of potential buyers.>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-19-2020 at 6:55am.
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    At least bass players are always social distancing. Ahead of the curve. :-)
    Take that however you darn well please
    I always laugh at how many times I get jabs form mandolin players for being a bass player (in addition to a solid mandolin player and also several other instruments).

My family has had continuous gigging mandolin players in it for over 100 years (that is just in the US!), we love the instrument and can honesty say that we go back to its origins. The village of Condino is a nice bicycle ride from Cremona.

Almost all of my mandolin friends are dirt broke from only getting three gigs a year while every upright bass player I know typically plays 50- 100+ gigs a year as a minimum! I easily get 100 bass gig offers for every one mandolin. I made $15,000 over a four year period only traveling within 5 miles of my house on a bass I was given for free in exchange for a speaking fee!

Upright bass players are almost universally easier to get along with, no band drama, and as customers they are willing to pay WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY more than mandolin players and they generally just reach in their pockets, pay cash, and usually leave a nice tip. I don't think that in 40 years of instrument work I've ever been tipped from a mandolin player...."take that however you darn well please"...

Wes: PM sent. That snakewood binding scroll on your website looks very nice!

My great grandfather, circa 1918, extracted from the group photo of his 50 person mandolin orchestra:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	188019  
    Last edited by j. condino; Aug-18-2020 at 10:32pm.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

When I started back playing music with people again many years ago it was very apparent that bass players and fiddle players were in demand. I did the only logical thing, I took up the mandolin. Sometimes I don't make good decisions.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    When I started back playing music with people again many years ago it was very apparent that bass players and fiddle players were in demand. I did the only logical thing, I took up the mandolin. Sometimes I don't make good decisions.
    That's interesting Mike. When I moved here 20 years agoI played guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, harp, upright bass. Well fiddle players here are a dime a dozen and there were no mandolin players. There were plenty of guitar and banjo players too, but not as many as fiddle. I focused on mandolin as I was pretty much the only one. We have a couple now. Different area's and different demands.

- - - Updated - - -
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    That's interesting Mike. When I moved here 20 years agoI played guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, harp, upright bass. Well fiddle players here are a dime a dozen and there were no mandolin players. There were plenty of guitar and banjo players too, but not as many as fiddle. I focused on mandolin as I was pretty much the only one. We have a couple now. Different area's and different demands.
    You make good decisions on where to move. It's obvious I don't. I wish we had more fiddle players, some that weren't joined at the hip to old time and bluegrass and knew how to branch out. I wish we had more pedal steel players because I just like that sound. I wish we had more people that could actually sing harmony. Beyond that bass players are always in demand here or at least they were before this stuff started.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber