Thread: Storm videos

Default Storm videos

Here are videos I took of the major windstorm August 10th from my home. We had over 90 mile per hour sustained winds with gusts to 125 for about an hour. Fortunately my own home and vehicles sustained very little damage but lost one large cherry tree and severely injured two beautiful maples. We were without power or internet for a week. The entire town and area has had major crop damage and trees have been devastated. Some apartments and businesses have lost roofs and worse. Fortunately there were very few injuries or fatalities.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Storm videos

Wow! Thanks for the videos, Carl! Glad you came through with little damage! Not much like that here in Towson, MD; did watch "Twister" the other day! Scary, where you are!
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

4. The following members say thank you to Rush Burkhardt for this post:

CarlM 

Nice video. I was in Cedar Rapids a week ago helping my son clean up the mess of trees around his house. He is still without power or internet. His location was really hard hit, and when I left he still had trees on the roof. I thought we could cut them off, but they were broken off the tree and sitting precariously up in the tree. It will take more equipment than the chain saw and ladder that I brought. We did get most of it cleaned up and he just had to drag the rest of the brush to the curb, no small task as there was a lot of it. Hard to believe there weren't people injured. Something positive out of something negative. Thought I was too old to cut wood all day at 90 degrees, lost a lot of liquid and was very tired, but lasted.
    Last edited by pops1; Aug-20-2020 at 10:33am.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

CarlM 

As a native Iowa City boy, the pictures of the devastation are awful. Many friends lost beautiful mature trees in Iowa City & farmers are hurting. I hope the governor pushes for more aid!

8. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

CarlM 

I think I heard 80% of the farm crops in that area are devastated.

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

CarlM 

Wow. I'm sorry to hear about all the damage. I drove through Iowa and stayed in Cedar Rapids 5 years ago on the way to my daughter's wedding. Beautiful area. I'm very glad to hear no-one was hurt.

12. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

CarlM 

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Wow. I'm sorry to hear about all the damage. I drove through Iowa and stayed in Cedar Rapids 5 years ago on the way to my daughter's wedding. Beautiful area. I'm very glad to hear no-one was hurt.
    N.E. Iowa and S.W. Wisconsin, in the driftless area, is a really special place. I grew up in the first and moved to the second. The storm left destruction for 600 miles clear into Ohio. My daughter lives in Iowa City and was not hit nearly as bad as C.R. I am glad they are both alright. I am listening to my son in law online doing a concert from the Gallagher Bluedorn center on the campus of University of Northern Iowa. Virtual with no audience, but live. Things are starting to return to normal for a minute (hour) at least.

I was just talking to a music friend who has family in Camanche, Iowa which is on the eastern border near the Mississippi. He said he heard an update that there were recorded gusts in Cedar Rapids of 140 mph and at Camanche and Clinton of 130 mph. We are not supposed to get hurricanes here.

The crop damage is kind of strange from what I have seen. One field will be flattened and a field next to it will be standing. The city of Cedar Rapids has not given an estimate of damage to street signs and road signs. That alone will be in the millions. One street where I walk my dog has every single street corner sign bent over flat to the ground for over a mile that I normally walk. Another thing that is amazing is the power pole damage. I drove one north south road into the country where all the power poles were snapped like matchsticks for over five miles. On one highway east of town they had installed a new high voltage line a year ago with the giant laminated poles. About 75 percent of them are snapped off. There are power company trucks from all over the country assisting as well as national guard construction battalions.

The three nearest state parks have been closed till further notice for assessment. One of my favorites is over 800 acres old growth timber with palisade cliffs along the river and a number of native American sites. It has been closed and I hate to imagine what it is like.

Thank you all for your concern and good wishes.

Carl, the videos give an idea of what it must have looked like. That was one scary storm. How much warning did you have that the coming storm was this powerful? With all the trees that fell, it's amazing there weren't far more injuries and deaths—did people have plenty of time to get off the roads and into storm shelters? 2020 is the year that just keeps on giving.

Pops1, I had grandparents in Winneshiek County. It's one of the prettiest places around.

I saw many roofs off of buildings as I drove into C.R. The whole thing reminds me of my youth. I was one of about 20 people assigned to work out in the storm during hurricanes, they call them typhoons there. I worked in 3 in Luzon province in the Philippines in the late 60's and early 70's. These kind of storms are incredible not that a tornado isn't. Different winds and different destruction. I hope the state parks are closed due other circumstances than destruction from the storm. My son can see a great distance now with all the trees gone. He lives higher up and before storm the trees blocked what was there. Now they are gone. It is so sad it takes decades for trees to grow to a magnificent state that a storm like this can end in moments.

The sirens went off about 20 minutes before it hit. I checked the weather.com when the sirens went off and it said the storm system itself was moving at 70 miles per hour. A lot of people were on the road. One lady had a tree fall on her SUV in front of my neighbors house. She was not injured and I think the vehicle was driveable but the windshield was smashed and she was pretty shook up. There were about four cars stopped behind her. There is an interstate exit in front of my house. It was blocked and we helped direct people on the grass under a road sign to get around the blockage. The city got big endloaders to clear it in about 45 minutes. The only direct death I heard was a bicyclist on the bike trail who got hit by a falling tree. There may have been some others from injuries afterward. We were without real access to news for about a week so I may have missed some injuries.

Pops, I wish I could say differently but the park closures are due to tree and storm damage. The DNR announced it a couple of days ago. They said they need to assess the damage.

I was up in Winneshiek canoeing over July 4th. The Upper Iowa is one of the best canoeing rivers in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post

Pops1, I had grandparents in Winneshiek County. It's one of the prettiest places around.
    I grew up in Clayton County in Iowa and now live in Crawford County in Wisconsin. To my knowledge there is not one stop light in the entire county of Clayton to this day. This area is so rural it is wonderful. I am in the country and isolation is kind of normal here, tho there is a lot going on in normal times. There is outdoor music here Fri, Sat, and Sun. with social distancing and we play at the farmers markets on Wed and Fri. I will be one of the performers on the Fri. concert in a couple of weeks, need to practice, it's been a while not performing. It is hard to beat the driftless area.

Carl, I have canoed the Upper Iowa many times, here it is the Kickapoo. Both beautiful rivers. I love coming into Bluffton and the Kickapoo has a lot of similar rock outcroppings like Bluffton. A gorgeous little river.

Is that Palisades-Kepler that's closed? It's full of huge old trees—and poison ivy!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    Is that Palisades-Kepler that's closed? It's full of huge old trees—and poison ivy!
    Yes Palisades Kepler, Lake Macbride and Pleasant Creek are all closed. The first two are heavily wooded.

"Derecho" from Spanish word for "straight," to contrast with "tornado," which of course twists and revolves. Straight-line windstorms, with hurricane force.

First time I encountered the word. You don't want to be adding to your vocabulary by reading about natural disasters. I had no idea that a sandstorm was called a "haboob" until one hit Phoenix.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Wow, Carl, that looks frightening; glad you're ok.

I'm in Northern California - we recently had a very rare freak lightning storm that basically set the entire state on fire. Some of my friends and acquaintances have been evacuated due to fires. But realistically, we knew it was coming. But those midwestern storms scare the heck out of me... I lived in the upper midwest for a long while and never really got used to it... I'll stick with the west coast's earthquakes and freak lightning storms and fires. At least you know where you stand. Those midwestern storms can wreak havoc completely without warning.

All the best to you and hope everyone's okay.
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

My son got power back last night, finally. Said they replaced all the power poles on his street in the same day. They were all down or broken. He didn't think he would get power until Monday so is very tickled to finally have it back. Lots of folks pulling together even in this weird time, nice to see.

CarlM - glad to hear you came through with minimal damage. We're thinking of all of you in the CR/IC corridor.
    We had some strong wind down here in Ottumwa, but nothing like what you saw. Stay well and safe!
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold