Thread: New Piccolo (Sopranino) Mandolin

Default New Piccolo (Sopranino) Mandolin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCK0820 Front.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	684.8 KB 
ID:	188050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCK0820 Side.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	635.7 KB 
ID:	188049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCK0820 Back.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	893.6 KB 
ID:	188048
    Here is my latest Piccolo (Sopranino) Mandolin build, completed just a few days ago. I am still tweaking the setup, but am pleased with it already. I love its sweet, clear voice and easy playability.

I wrote about my piccolo project in an earlier thread here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ilding-Project

This is not simply a small Gdae-tuned mandolin, but the next higher instrument in the mandolin family. These are about the same size as a concert ukulele, with a 10.5" scale length. Tuned Cgda, a fourth above a mandolin or a full octave above a mandola, they add a distinctive, sweet voice to an ensemble. I had Mike Black build me a carved-top A-style piccolo a couple of years ago which I love and recommend, but I am now having fun with these flat-tops, too. These have become my go-to instrument for relaxed picking around the house, and blend well with classical guitar in my Renaissance/ World Music Duo.

This one is built with an Adirondack Spruce top, Red Maple neck, hard Yellow Pine back, sides and headstock overlay (flooring cut-offs), a bamboo fretboard and maple bridge. The Yellow Pine was an unconventional choice, but I have saved these floorboard cutoffs for many years because they were too pretty to part with. I decided to give them a go. They are a pain in the neck to bend, but resulted in a really sweet instrument. Don't consider them like other pine woods; they are heavy, resinous and harder than you might think. The nut is naturally-shed deer antler found on my farm. For stain, I used reduced dry Fuji Apple wine, and I finish with a hardening oil.

I hope you like the look. I am having a lot of fun with this one!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: New Piccolo (Sopranino) Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    This one is built with an Adirondack Spruce top, Red Maple neck, hard Yellow Pine back, sides and headstock overlay (flooring cut-offs), a bamboo fretboard and maple bridge. The Yellow Pine was an unconventional choice, but I have saved these floorboard cutoffs for many years because they were too pretty to part with. I decided to give them a go. They are a pain in the neck to bend, but resulted in a really sweet instrument. Don't consider them like other pine woods; they are heavy, resinous and harder than you might think.
    I love the organic aesthetic, Bob. Is that long-leaf yellow pine like David Newton uses on some of his guitars?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I love the organic aesthetic, Bob. Is that long-leaf yellow pine like David Newton uses on some of his guitars?
    Hi Patrick,

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'm really don't know whether it's Long Leaf or not. The Floor Installer just called it Yellow Pine. It sure is pretty wood though. It is so resinous that the resin melts and bubbles when it is heated for bending. And it had the annoying habit of straightening back out almost to completely straight until I figured out how to deal with it. I was ready to be done with it after this one piccolo until I had the completed instrument, then I re-thought it. I like this one enough that I might have another go with some more scrap pieces if I can get some. I might have to hunt around for them though. Probably go back to cherry for the next one (other than the maple one that I am finishing up now).

5. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Nice looking instrument...what are the string gauges?
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    Nice looking instrument...what are the string gauges?
    Hi Mike,

I am using EJ73 on these, which are 10, 14, 24, 38. I tried EJ62 but found the 34 a bit too light. Thanks for asking.

Bob