Thread: Newell mandolin.

Default Newell mandolin.

I am a novice Mandolin player and have been playing a Kentucky 256. I recently purchased a Newell A style mandolin from a pawn shop. This mandolin looks like a work of art. It sounds louder and crisper than my Kentucky. It is dated 2007 And signed by Keith Newell. It has an cage with an arm rest and looks like it has never been played. In fact I think it had the original strings. When I initially tried to tune it one of the strings broke. It came with an extra set of strings. I was able to find some information on the builder on line. Any information regarding this mandolin would be appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	447.0 KB 
ID:	188080

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newell mandolin.

Nice looking mandolin. Congratulations. I've seen these advertised but never played one. Hope you got a good deal. Enjoy!
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Sweet find! Keith was a regular poster here years ago. His mandolins were very highly thought of by those who played them. He was on my short list for a custom build in 2004-'05 but I went with someone else. I haven't seen him on here in years.

Well, I think you hit a home run here. I had a wonderful Newell blonde F5. Sold it because something else beckoned. Have often wished to have it back. Great fit, finish, tone and playability. You can pay a lot more and get far less of a mandolin. I’m not sure he’s still building. Enjoy and savor your find.

I look at it more than I play it.