Thread: Cafe versus Craigslist

Default Cafe versus Craigslist

I'm comfortable with email communiques thru the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds. It's the only means of communication. My experience is that Cafe buyers or perspective buyers are straightforward, honest and are simply attempting to make an informed decision. Nothing more or less. To help with that decision I'll generally use the Additional Information link to provide as many photos as I can. In the past, the link usually went to Reverb, until they raised their sales as well as insurance fees. Now I use a Craigslist link to show photos.
    I've never made very many sales thru Craigslist and I don't expect to. Over the years I've found that the majority of "Buyers" at Craigslist in my area, (I use the term "Buyers" loosely) play games. I always use my phone numbers, home and local for communication at Craigslist. I find that if I list a phone number it's easier to ferret out the serious buyers from scammers and weirdos. My ads always state, "No Emails or Texts please. I only respond to phone calls or voicemails."
    Yet, people still make enquiries by text or email at Craigslist in spite of what I state in the body of the ad. And I continue to not respond unless its a phone call. I think only once did a perspective buyer from the Cafe use my phone number at the Craigslist link and I didn't mind at all. It ended up being a smooth transaction.
    It's only been recently that Craigslist no longer gives an option to forego the email so that sort of communication has increased in spite of my efforts. And the emails at Craigslist continue to be suspicious. I've always wondered why anyone would use email or text only, when a phone number is provided? This is simply a recent observation. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience with Craigslist? Thanks.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Default Re: Cafe versus Craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kammerzell View Post
    I've always wondered why anyone would use email or text only, when a phone number is provided?
    I've observed that, also. I think it is a generational thing that younger people do. I define younger as those under 60. It does seem they prefer a more impersonal means of communication. My boss, who is 56, would rather send me a string of 10 texts than give me a 2 minute phone call. Annoying. I don't know why. The message also comes across as more blunt, IMHO. Maybe it emboldens a timid person to text or email, not sure.

Craigslist, should have a big banner that says "Scam City" under their name, IMHO. When craigslist first came to our town, it was great for buyers of instruments, the sellers were legit, you called them up and an hour later you had a new toy to play with. These days about 90 percent of my responses are scams on Craigslist. I've said this before, but if you get REALLY lonely, try selling a vintage motorcycle on Craigslist.......you will get calls from several states away from people with no interest in buying, who just want to talk about what they rode in the good ole days..........time wasters! Alternately, if you wanted to punish someone, run an ad for an old motorcycle on craigslist with their phone number!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Certified old guy here. It’s not a generational thing. I prefer text or email until I know someone is serious. I don’t want my phone number in the hands of some anonymous person (at least anymore than it is now). I am still getting emails by used car sales people from a car I sold years ago. Imagine them having my phone number!

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peter Barnett For This Useful Post:

I dislike telephones. I don't wish to be intruded upon at the whim of strangers.

Email can be dealt with on my own schedule, and it provides a permanent record. Beyond that, complex concepts can be discussed without either the vicious intrusion of Autocorrect, or the necessity to engage in one-finger typing on a timy screen.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bob A For This Useful Post:

That's the odd thing about this with me. I have two phone numbers listed. The only call I have received was from an actual interested buyer who was ready to purchase until his wife intervened. I have had a text asking, "May I call you?" And at least three emails asking for photos that already exist at the listing. I.E. "The first four frets" of which there are two photos. As for unwanted phone calls, both my Cell Phone and my Home phone have a "Block" feature. For me, if they call they seem interested. Texts and emails seem to want to waste my time.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Another old guy here. I do not have a cellphone but have used Skype for years. That said, I also prefer email for the same reasons stated. Also, I hate playing phone tag and prefer to have all communications on CL in writing. Plenty of scammers there but you can sniff them out pretty quick. That aggravation is part of the deal you make for having free service. I have bought and sold quite a few things on CL. But only locally and only, only, only with cash. If it is anything over 1k that I am selling I tell the buyer that I will give a $50 cash rebate for the trouble they take to get cash from their bank if they buy. Phone only ads on things I am interested in I tend to not even call unless it is something pretty special. Different strokes I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kammerzell View Post
    Now I use a Craigslist link to show photos. I've never made very many sales thru Craigslist and I don't expect to.
    Unless you truly need to sell on Craigslist, why not just use a photo hosting site to host your photos and eliminate CL altogether?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

My wife has sold stuff on Craigslist over the years with little trouble (never tried to sell an instrument tho) but where we are, it seems that Facebook Marketplace has taken over the lion's share of things offered for sale online.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I think it all depends how the communication goes. Eg , for pay method, shipping, its all about asking questions and getting the right answers. Ive never had a ignored question here. The sellers seem very straight up with replies. And fairly quick too. Cl kijiji are hit and miss with bad sellers ( that are not really selling anything)

I recently had to sell a LOT of furniture/household items quickly and found that Facebook Market had better response than Craigslist. I listed in both places. that said, the two people who did reply via Craigslist were genuine, prompt in communication and didn't try to lowball me - they arranged time to meet, picked up the items and paid the full price. Facebook Market garnered LOADS of replies, many of which were absolute messers - arranging to come pick something up and then never showing up, or asking me to hold the item for them for 2 weeks etc. etc. Re: phone vs. email contact- just my preference but I don't give out my phone number whether it's for calls or texts, to random strangers buying stuff inquiring about stuff I'm selling unless we've agreed to meet - otherwise all initial contact is done via email. For every 20 inquiries you get, maybe 4 follow through in my experience, so the last thing I want is all those other folks having my phone number.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Unless you truly need to sell on Craigslist, why not just use a photo hosting site to host your photos and eliminate CL altogether?
    Now that is a valid question. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with these photo hosting sites you speak of. I'm not exactly technologically checked out, so to speak. Thanks.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Written communication is always on my timetable. My ads state no offers, price firm, so there's no work beyond skipping those responses until someone commits. Then it's one phone call to set up the payment and handoff, and the sale itself.

Twice someone tried to lowball me at the pickup, and I moved on. I don't like even minor scammers, and if someone agrees to a price but then tried to back out, I'm done and go to the next person on the list.

I'm not on Facebook, but my brother is, and when we were taking care of my mom's house, he found that on FB Yardsale there were so many people who said they wanted something and never showed. There was a wall hanging, for example, that about 5 different people wanted at different times that is still in his garage. I've sold quite a bit on CL, and yeah, you have to filter out the scammers, but fewer no shows than my brother got.

I got my Stradolin on Craigslist. It was a very easy and smooth transaction. On the other hand, a number of years back, I bought a drum set for my son; agreed on a price and that he would deliver it. Couple days later, he called to say he decided to sell it to someone else. I gave him a piece of my mind about the value of one's word, and did end up with the drumset.

I'm not a big telephone fan, and don't want to have phone conversations with tire kickers

If I wanted something or had something to sell on the Cafe Classifieds, I would feel very comfortable about it from the get go.

Imgur is a good site for hosting. You can do galleries and very high resolution photographs. And it's free of course.

20. The following members say thank you to Tony on the Coast for this post:

Well, I misspoke much too quickly. I sold two, high dollar mandolins, A Gibson F5G Custom and a Collings MF, on Craigslist in about 30 days time or so. Nothing like that ever happened to me in the past. I'm still amazed. And I got very near the price I wanted on each.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Blog Entries

Today's world is in text. I have good friends that almost only text and will admit they don't want phone calls. Weird for me but such is life

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Today's world is in text. I have good friends that almost only text and will admit they don't want phone calls. Weird for me but such is life
    And even those texts are sent as impersonally as possible. Generally, the text you may have sent to a friend will be returned, encircled in quotation marks (" "), and preceded by the words, Liked, Laughed at, or Emphasized. Not too much effort to communicate any longer.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

24. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

addamr 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Agreed, which is why I prefer phone calls at Craigslist. Honestly, the only interested or serious buyers I ever run across call me.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

I intentionally ask people to make a telephone call and speak in person, "no texts".

It is a easy way to filter out people who cannot follow simple directions.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

27. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    I intentionally ask people to make a telephone call and speak in person, "no texts".

It is a easy way to filter out people who cannot follow simple directions.
    I am the same way. I think it also filters out the serious buyers from the rest of the crowd.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

It seems to me that texting or emailing is a good way to get a conversation started, but once you need to start talking details, and when you know someone is serious, a phone call is way better. I also think people like texting more because they can take their time and choose their words carefully which is harder when in an actual conversation. That seems wise to me, especially when dealing with spending money. YMMV.

I've sold a lot of stuff on CL over the years but it's slowing way down due to FB Market. I'm not on FB (and don't want to be) so that's hurt my CL sales a lot.

"......they can take their time and choose their words carefully ....."

You must get different texts than I do. The ones I get always are filled with spelling and grammar errors that make the senders look like idiots!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    "......they can take their time and choose their words carefully ....."

You must get different texts than I do. The ones I get always are filled with spelling and grammar errors that make the senders look like idiots!
    I'll give you that. I guess I should say that texting _should_ give one the time to choose one's words carefully, etc. That's the way I use it anyway.

33. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I live in a rural area. Only once have I been able to sell an instrument on Craigslist, and that was to a guy 100 miles away in St. Louis. I recently listed some inexpensive instruments and the only replies I've received have been from scammers. That's par for the course here. Sold in a car 10 minutes after listing it last month, though.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

First off... I've bought very little on CL and sold none. But here is my experience.

I saw a mandolin case on CL and although I didn't need it, it was listed for a reasonable price and I had the money for a backup and figured I might buy another mandolin one day. I emailed the seller saying I was interested and gave her my phone number so she could text or call. She called me and we set up an arrangement to meet and follow up on our deal. When I arrived she said she was greteful for the invitation to call because it was more immediate. I guess she had been emailing with another potential buyer back and forth for a while and they couldn't come to any agreements on meeting, or price, and the other buyer wanted the seller to ship the case, and yadda yadda. She gave me a $10 discount for a quick sell and we were on our way.

I guess all that to say, if you really want to sell or buy on CL you might have to put yourself out there.