Thread: Loar lm-520 New mandolin

Default Loar lm-520 New mandolin

Hello all,
    Pretty new to the forum here but have been on mandolin cafe for some time now. Anyhow, today I found a Loar lm-520 for 350 dollars. I couldn’t pass it up. Does anyone know how they are or if that is a good value? Thank you in advance.

BillyJack

Default Re: Loar lm-520 New mandolin

Figured I'd chime in here.... I've been hiding and watching for a while now. I have an LM-520. It is my first "real" mandolin. I've had it for about 5 years now, and like it pretty well. But honestly, I don't really have much to compare it to. I like the tone, and I guess the set up is pretty good. Its been a good mandolin for me to learn on for sure!

https://youtu.be/RavUMQYgnK8

Check out the 520 in action.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Wow that mandolin sounds great! He is much better than I am but I am glad to see how it could sound. Thank you for the response.

I’ve really enjoyed mine for the 3 years or so I’ve had it. I haven’t played very many different mandolins. The only negative I have with it is the fretboard extension. My picking hand always wants to wander up to that spot causing the pick to tap on the fretboard.

I had a LM-520 for a couple of years and enjoyed it; however, I did sell it for $450 when I bought my Eastman 615md.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

I had a LM-520 for a couple of years and enjoyed it; however, I did sell it for $450 when I bought my Eastman 615md.

How does the LM-520 compare to the MD-615?

I found the MD-615 to have a warmer, clear tone that I liked. I also preferred the feel of playing it better than the Loar. The Loar was good, but the Eastman was a definite step up.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

9. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

bakerk 

Thanks Mando Mort! I've been considering something different and was wondering if the radius fretboard made that much of a difference in comfort/playability. Is it noticeable?

At more than twice the cost; it's no wonder that the 615 is a step up from the 520.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

So I ended up taking the 520 back. I didn’t like it. I ended up finding a lm-400 for the same price that I got. It is noticeably better. Maybe just the set up.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyEllison View Post
    So I ended up taking the 520 back. I didn’t like it. I ended up finding a lm-400 for the same price that I got. It is noticeably better. Maybe just the set up.
    The A style 400 is built the same as F style 700, less gold hardware...top of their line.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Could be both set up and tone....I've heard the LM 400 is comparable to their LM-600 or 700 F Style mandolins. Enjoy it!! This stuff is addictive!! And thanks for keeping us posted!!

My first mandolin was an LM 520 and it was great for a beginner. I needed something with a pickup when I moved up a bit in quality but the 520 into a mic served me well for a while.