Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cafe User: Br1ck

Default Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    You're on the short list, for sure.....
    You obviously mean he's on the short list of the people that have bothered to post right? Obviously we have no way of knowing how the vast majority of the Cafe feels about the subject because the vast majority of the people that come here don't post. Many just don't want to get into the fray. Carry on.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    Well, ordinarily I wouldn't comment on this, but I through my back out this morning and I'm in some pain, so why not! I've always found humor in folks who come on the forums here as the ultimate "authority" after playing mando for a couple of weeks. There have been several prior to Br1ck. And I will say he lasted longer than most of them, and may actually knew (knows) what he's talking about. I do feel like cautioning some of the newbies who may actually take some of the bogus advice handed out by these folks, but never do. I've had some productive PM's with Br!ck and would hope he returns, but I'll stay silent on these other "authorities" and leave it at that. There are some long term people posting on here whose opinions I actually value though. Keep up the banter!
    OK, it appears this post caused a bit of ire with some. I apologize. It was not directed at Br1ck per se, just a general observation. Now, when he first arrived, he did throw out advice from the get go. I believe as time went on, his advice was good and his opinions were also OK. No offense was meant. Carry on.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

3. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Ranald 

I’m just posting in case anyone was unhappy or beginning to get concerned.

-I haven’t posted for about 20 minutes now, because I was making a cup of tea.
    (I love you all, and MandolinCafe)

5. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    I’m just posting in case anyone was unhappy or beginning to get concerned.

-I haven’t posted for about 20 minutes now, because I was making a cup of tea.
    (I love you all, and MandolinCafe)
    Thanks for checking in. Glad to see you weren't caught up in a forest fire, hurricane, flood, riot, or taken out by a virus. Lol

As someone who plays acoustic and electric guitar along with building and playing mandolins, I also participate in several (5) other forums regularly and will echo that this is among the most well-mannered of all of them. One of the brand specific electric forums has lots of caustic souls with with big egos and demeaning attitudes. I use the "ignore" function on that forum a lot. It's always pleasant on the Mandolin Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    As someone who plays acoustic and electric guitar along with building and playing mandolins, I also participate in several (5) other forums regularly and will echo that this is among the most well-mannered of all of them. One of the brand specific electric forums has lots of caustic souls with with big egos and demeaning attitudes. I use the "ignore" function on that forum a lot. It's always pleasant on the Mandolin Cafe
    That's fer sure - have you looked into The Gear Page?

D.H.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    And then, there's me -- often wrong, but never in doubt...
    The first step on the road to recovery is to acknowledge you have a problem. You're on your journey.
    (I'm sure you know it's a joke Allen ... but just in case ....)
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

10. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    You obviously mean he's on the short list of the people that have bothered to post right? Obviously we have no way of knowing how the vast majority of the Cafe feels about the subject because the vast majority of the people that come here don't post. Many just don't want to get into the fray. Carry on.
    I rarely post on the forum (see my join date and total number of posts). I recall seeing some of Br1ck's posts and did not see anything wrong with his, but I may have missed the ones he was an authority figure. Being here as long as I have, I have seen the authoritarian posts, but they usually don't last very long (this is what I was agreeing to with my post in this thread). Sorry if I did not specify what I was agreeing with.

OK, I'll go back to lurking, lol.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

Legend has it that if one utters the phrase “Arches kit” three times, Br1ck will appear.

13. The following members say thank you to Rbaer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rbaer View Post
    Legend has it that if one utters the phrase “Arches kit” three times, Br1ck will appear.
    lol, that would get a bunch of us to sit up straight.
    I don't know the man other than his posts here, but from what I've gathered he was heavily into guitars before mandolin, such as I was, and there are times I drift back to the AGF and spend a few weeks there, get my fill, and return here. my online time is quite limited, so I can't spend time in a lot of forums.

I will say the MandolinCafe has depth. Depth of knowledge, posts, information, willingness to help start up players,and long term highly developed players. You don't find all that together in other forums-imo. Once you experience that type of depth, its hard to not want to be around it. Sometimes one takes a break, similarly if one watched intense, highly developed plot movies, every now and then you just got to pull out "dumb and dumber" or "Napolean Dynamite" and let your brain go numb and laugh/chill.

d