Thread: Gibson String Height

Default Gibson String Height

I used to have a printout of the action and string height for the expensive Gibson Master Model mandolins and Mastertone banjos, but I have lost them somewhere. It seems like someone had talked to Dave Harvey and gotten them from him. Does anyone happen to know what they are? Thanks!

Lance

Default Re: Gibson String Height

I hear "as low as you can go without buzzing" from most people....................

3. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Teacher, repair person

I have no idea of what Gibson's current specs might be, but the specs I use in my shop are 3/64" to 4/64" between the 12 fret and the bottom of the E strings, and 4/64" to 5/64" between the 12th and the G's. This measurement is for instruments that have had the nut and truss rod [if any] correctly adjusted.

5. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

As a rule of thumb, I like my action at the 12th fret to be just high enough to slip my BlueChip CT55 pick between the fret and strings, making light contact. The idea of using your favorite pick as a convenient feeler gauge to check the action has been described before in the Mandolin Cafe, but maybe it's worth repeating here? The CT55 is 0.055", which is between 3/64" and 4/64" (0.0469" and 0.0625"), just as recommended by rcc56. You could also use any 'ol flatpick that's in the range of 50 to 60 thousandths (1.27 mm to 1.52 mm).

Oh -- and if you prefer your action a bit lower than that, just use the same flatpick as a feeler gauge, but at (say) the 15th fret, instead of the 12th. And so on.
    Last edited by sblock; Sep-06-2020 at 2:49pm.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

I have mine setup low, but I wouldn't do it this low for everyone as it can get finicky with humidity changes. I am willing to do what it takes to keep it low. It is just showing the line at 2/32 for the E string and not quite 3/32 for the G. I get plenty of power and it sounds great. It only takes it drying out some to lower the action and I will have to raise it, but then when it swells with humidity, as it is now in summer, I lower it. Frets have to be level, and I just raised the G side as it was just above 2/32, wasn't buzzing, but I like it a little higher.

Lighter strings would have to have a higher action. I wouldn't even try to set up a 9-32 set with this action, it would buzz like crazy.
    Last edited by pops1; Sep-06-2020 at 4:13pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

sblock, I do the same thing--use my CT55 as a feeler gauge. Mine is set so the pick doesn't have enough string contact to hold it there. The Heiden still plays like buttah.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

If a carved top mandolin with a 13 3/4" to 14" scale will not play cleanly with 4/64" between the top of the 12th fret and the E string and 5/64" between the fret and the G strings, the instrument either needs work or the player is striking the strings too darn hard.

The lower figure I gave earlier [3/64" E, 4/64" G] requires a good accurate fret job and set up, and a more judicious right hand attack.

As far as Dave Harvey's shop specs, you might [???] be able to contact him through Gibson. I thought he was a Cafe member, but I can't find his user name.
    Last edited by rcc56; Sep-06-2020 at 6:43pm.

13. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Per my post above it should be 2/64 on the E and 3/64 not 32 on the G. I usually measure in 32's and didn't make the change when I typed it, sorry.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

15. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post: