Thread: MIX Carbon Fiber Mandolin Truss Rod Question

Default MIX Carbon Fiber Mandolin Truss Rod Question

I have a Mix carbon fiber mandolin, A model #25, that I acquired used several years ago. I took it to a reputable dealer today to offer it for sale. I was informed that the neck has developed a "slight bow." The repair department was closed and there was no luthier on duty, and the employee of the store was unable to tell whether the neck could be straightened. He could not find evidence of a truss rod, and I confess, I have never investigated this. There are a number of members of the Cafe with knowledge of these instruments and I hope you can answer these questions:

1) Is there a truss rod "in there" whether adjustable or not?

2) Can the neck be repaired?

Thank you for your input. I am actually more bummed about its condition than its marketability at this point--they are such lovely instruments!
    Julie

Default Re: MIX Carbon Fiber Mandolin Truss Rod Question

There was no truss rod in the neck of Peter's mandolins.

Did you contact him to ask these questions? He lurks around here and is likely watching. Even though you bought it secondhand, he may be helpful. Peter is a great guy and easy to talk with....

Did you take it over to Dusty Strings or one of the better acoustic shops in Seattle or just over to the local mom & pop place on the island?

Anything can be repaired, it just depends upon how much effort ($$$) you want to put towards it.

Can you show some detailed photos of the neck?

Those necks had a hollow core and then a wooden fingerboard attached. If you knew that the amount of "bow" was finished moving and would stay the same, it would be easy enough to pull all of the frets, dress the 'board and re-fret. (Approx. $500 depending upon your local market), or "compression fret" it with slightly larger fret tangs on the hope it would bend back. If the fingerboard is removed, it might be a nice option to add a couple of additional carbon fiber beams or something similar inside the neck core to stiffen it more.

In general, they made very few of these and they are nothing like a traditional mandolin, so there really are no people beyond the builders that have much experience with them. I did a review of the in the old Mandolin Magazine when they first came out.

Also keep in mind that the "bent neck" may be the employee's version of a used car dealership "bad muffler bearing" type of ploy....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

3. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

V70416 

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Actually, the mandolin is at Dusty Strings in Seattle now (and I agree they are excellent) and will be evaluated by a luthier there to see if they think it is worth repairing and selling on my behalf. I suppose if not, I can offer it as a project mandolin. There was certainly a time when a $500 repair would not be daunting, but then came the Pandemic and the economic tsunami.
    Julie

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by werbel View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Actually, the mandolin is at Dusty Strings in Seattle now (and I agree they are excellent) and will be evaluated by a luthier there to see if they think it is worth repairing and selling on my behalf. I suppose if not, I can offer it as a project mandolin. There was certainly a time when a $500 repair would not be daunting, but then came the Pandemic and the economic tsunami.
    I guess the fingerboard was glued on with epoxy and could react to heating and clamping to straighten the neck....
    Adrian

6. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

werbel 

Post Re: MIX Carbon Fiber Mandolin Truss Rod Question

Have a Mix A5.. I got a re-fret... they leveled the fingerboard, then, put the new frets in..

Other side of The River , Portland Fretworks .. Bill : $400.. (Oregon, No Sales Tax)

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

8. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

werbel 

Hi Julie,
    Among the many virtues of carbon fiber is the fact that it does not absorb or shed moisture and is extraordinarily strong and resilient. It is extremely unlikely that the neck has developed a bow. It would be a first. It is much more likely that the ebony fingerboard has moved, shedding or absorbing moisture over time, and is in need of leveling.
    I wish you success in getting the little nipper up and running again!
    Cheers, Peter
    Peter Mix
    Carbon Fiber & Kevlar Mandolins
    Based On Lloyd Loar's Designs
    Waterville, VT 05492

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Mix For This Useful Post:

Update! The Mix Mandolin has been evaluated by a couple of luthiers at Dusty Strings and as Peter Mix predicted, the neck is straight. Only a minor adjustment is necessary. Thank you to J. Condino and Peter Mix for their input.
    Julie

12. The following members say thank you to werbel for this post:

Perry