Thread: Eastman MD604 with P/U - Very Excited - Where to start

Default Eastman MD604 with P/U - Very Excited - Where to start

Hi all!

I'm very excited today. I ordered my first mandolin this morning. Expected arrival next friday.

Suggestions for starting my journey on this, hope to be wonderful relationship with this beautiful instrument.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Tim

2. The following members say thank you to Yak51fish for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Eastman MD604 with P/U - Very Excited - Where to start

Welcome to the forum & to your future with learning mandolin.

1. Check the articles, links & studies under the Learn/Listen tab here at the cafe. Mandolin Cafe is my favorite hangout for all things mandolin. You can also join a social group for projects to learn and for help and encouragement. The Newbies social group would be a good place, also the Song A Week social group.

2. My favorite learning site when starting out was www.mandolessons.com - in addition, I learned a lot from www.bradleylaird.com and www.banjobenclark.com and from Pete Martin at www.petimarpress.com - check out the "Advice For Mandolin Newbies" at my website, link in signature.

3. Best for me long term has been to purchase courses from www.homespun.com - they have many sets of video series, and offer deep discounts weekly through their email list. Over the past few years, I've racked up a large volume of mandolin lesson series through them, and I use them all the time in my studies.

The Mike Marshall Homespun series titled "Mandolin Fundamentals For All Players" - a 2 DVD set from www.homespun.com - should be included with every first-time mandolin purchase, IMO.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Welcome to the forum & to your future with learning mandolin.

1. Check the articles, links & studies under the Learn/Listen tab here at the cafe. Mandolin Cafe is my favorite hangout for all things mandolin. You can also join a social group for projects to learn and for help and encouragement. The Newbies social group would be a good place, also the Song A Week social group.

2. My favorite learning site when starting out was www.mandolessons.com - in addition, I learned a lot from www.bradleylaird.com and www.banjobenclark.com and from Pete Martin at www.petimarpress.com - check out the "Advice For Mandolin Newbies" at my website, link in signature.

3. Best for me long term has been to purchase courses from www.homespun.com - they have many sets of video series, and offer deep discounts weekly through their email list. Over the past few years, I've racked up a large volume of mandolin lesson series through them, and I use them all the time in my studies.

The Mike Marshall Homespun series titled "Mandolin Fundamentals For All Players" - a 2 DVD set from www.homespun.com - should be included with every first-time mandolin purchase, IMO.

Thank you very much Mark. I'll check these out.

Tim

Another vote for MandoLessons.com

Welcome!
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

Tim

Hi Tim. I'm pretty new too, but have developed a few favorites. First of all, do you have a musical preference? If you're straight bluegrass or old time, you'll get different recommendations than if you have broader interests.

I like to spread out into rock and pop and melodies from my youth, so variety is my cup o tea.

Others have mentioned mandolessons.com. It's great, but leans toward traditional.

I've really taken to Rock and Pop Mandolin:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuw...tocnhSyGAASP5w
    Everything from Beatles to punk

and
    comandolin.com

which can deliver classical or Mr. Sandman.

Jim

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Even though Mandolessons leans toward the traditional, focusing on fiddle tunes, it holds a great deal of helpful info on the fundamentals that I gleaned a great deal from. I do play BG primarily, but the fundamentals that Barron instilled have lent themselves to my ability to sit in with the worship band at my church and play along with the acoustic "pop" style of contemporary worship music.

Mandolessons.com has great stuff, IMO.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

10. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Jim View Post
    Hi Tim. I'm pretty new too, but have developed a few favorites. First of all, do you have a musical preference? If you're straight bluegrass or old time, you'll get different recommendations than if you have broader interests.

I like to spread out into rock and pop and melodies from my youth, so variety is my cup o tea.

Others have mentioned mandolessons.com. It's great, but leans toward traditional.

I've really taken to Rock and Pop Mandolin:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuw...tocnhSyGAASP5w
    Everything from Beatles to punk

and
    comandolin.com

which can deliver classical or Mr. Sandman.

Jim

Thanks for the information Jim. My interest have always included a wide range. I like all sorts of songs ranging from folk, celtic, blue grass, just anything that would actually sound good in the language of mandolin. I'll check these sources out.

Thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Even though Mandolessons leans toward the traditional, focusing on fiddle tunes, it holds a great deal of helpful info on the fundamentals that I gleaned a great deal from. I do play BG primarily, but the fundamentals that Barron instilled have lent themselves to my ability to sit in with the worship band at my church and play along with the acoustic "pop" style of contemporary worship music.

Mandolessons.com has great stuff, IMO.
    Thanks for the input soliver I have come across mandolessons.com and he will be one of my sources for sure. I'm old and have hand and wrist issues. So I won't be entering any mando - races.

Thanks
    Tim

I just had a peek at the youtube link: I think that one will be very useful for me. Thanks.