Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MuseScore software

Default MuseScore software

Hello all-

I'm wondering if anyone on the Cafe uses MuseScore software for music notation (https://musescore.org). I use the free version and have found it to be similarly capable to Sibelius - plus it offers mandolin as an instrument for sound output. It can notate both in tablature and standard notation.

I've put a bunch of tunes into MuseScore and would be interested in sharing files, etc. with other people who use it.

Cheers,
    Bruce

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolinsanity for this post:

Cobalt 

Default Re: MuseScore software

I use MuseScore for all the tunes on my website MandoLessons, I love it!

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

It seems pretty nice - I guess there will be some significant UI improvements in the works based on what I've heard, so it should be even better, I hope. I've been using Sibelius for a long time, so old habits die hard. I'd love anything with a more usable interface than Sibelius.

Also, at least in Sibelius 6 (I'm still using 6), you can find Mandolin under "European Guitars"
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

Running version 3.23xx.
    Two complaints:
    1. The abc_import plugin doesn't work.
    2. The mandolin sound file doesn't sound very much like a mandolin. However, I don't worry too much about the sound output. As long as the sound isn't too exotic/weird, I'm happy.

6. The following members say thank you to Dick Dery for this post:

It's all I've ever used, so can't compare to others. Some things aren't as intuitive as I'd like. That said, a Google search usually quickly finds the answer. The export to pdf is nice and handy for sharing with band mates or other members of a jam.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

8. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Cobalt 

Their user support is excellent, on both FaceBook and the MuseScore website. I don't always know the proper terminology for an issue or feature, but I can take a screenshot of a situation, post it, and ask"How do I do this?", and get a reply.

10. The following members say thank you to Dick Dery for this post:

We use it all the time in the music department where I work. What's lovely about it is the common support for musicXML, meaning it's relatively easy to import and export from other applications, like finale, sibelius or DAWs, like Reaper.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

It’s great for bands. Chord charts are great. It’s worth learning.

Another vote for Muse Score. I use it regularly for teaching, and did my entire recent tunebook with Musescore.

I use it as my notation siftware for all the reasons mentioned above. Version 3.5.0 is my current version and this allows you to input the chord symbols as does previous versions, but now the chord actually sounds! Handy when you want to listen to possible backings, and can be silenced. The chord only sounds when the cursor is on the note above which the chord symbol is placed. To have a chord sound, say on beats 1 and three of a 4-beat bar, it needs to be input on beats 1 and 3.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

15. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Here’s a little musescore trick.

If you want the TAB for an abc file that you are going to import into musescore do this first:

Using Plugins -> ABC import: paste the abc file into the window.
    Find the line that begins with K:
    At the end of the line beginning with K: add the following after adding a space
    tab strings=G3,D4,A4,E5
    Click import button(lower right of window)
    TAB is now displayed - save as a pdf using File -> Export - name the file and save as type pdf

Of course you can get the TAB for other instrument tunings by modifying the tab strings line.

-thanks VTmoon at thesession.org

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

I've been using MuseScore for 4 or 5 years, and of course there are little things which could be better, but isn't that the way with all software?
    As far as I know, it's the standard software used in music schools and academies here in Germany, certainly as far as students are concerned - has something to do with being freeware, I would guess. If it was not fit for purpose, though, nobody would use it. I previously used PrintMusic, from Finale, which was not cheap and was certainly no better than MuseScore.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

I recently learned the basics of MuseScore in order to transcribe a poorly printed, difficult-to-read score. Though it took a bit of time, I have to say that I never lacked immediate answers via a simple Google search for the how-to questions that inevitably crept up. It's a great resource. -- Joe

20. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Yup I had a program called "noteworthy composer" back in the days of 32 bit operating systems and floppy disks, but Muse Score is a perfect example of how "open source" can be successful. It's gone through some buggy releases and early on it had it challenges. I use it to notate out tunes so I can play along, if I am unsure of phrasing , mostly timing. You can sound the metronome while notating so as to "stay on beat" and Like John Kelly says - just make the chord symbols and it will generate a backing track. I'm pretty sure it will notate out midi so you can "autogenerate" notation. I haven't worked in tab with it but I believe it supports tab.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Hi all-

Glad to see that there's so much enthusiasm about this software (and also to pick up a few tips even from this short discussion). I have about 2 dozen pieces that I have notated in Muse Score and that I believe to be in the public domain. If there's interest, I can create a Google drive or some other mechanism to share files.

Bruce

23. The following members say thank you to Mandolinsanity for this post:

Mandolinsanity - think you can post them on the muse score sight, they have a section for submitted notations, a lot of it you can just down load and open in muse score
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I also use MuseScore and have found it to be as good as all but he most expensive programs.

I’ve been using Finale PrintMusic for years, but it hasn’t been updated since 2014, which is an eternity, and there are no signs of it being updated any time soon. It tells me 64GB is not enough memory every time I start it.

I just don’t need the features of the full Finale, and it’s quite expensive.

So I’m looking for an alternative, but of course I have a lot of time invested in PrintMusic, and it will require a lot more time and effort to learn a completely new system.

Have any of you experience with both Finale and MuseScore? Can you say anything comparing the two? How difficult is it to learn MuseScore?

Thx

Steven
    Silverangel Econo A #438 (“Swazi”)
    Schnoor Silver Bell Style 5 Tenor
    Schnoor 5-string open back
    Martin OM-21
    1950 Epiphone Devon
    Emmons GS-10
    More electrics than you can shake a stick at. I have to sell this stuff.

I love that Musescore has a HUGE library of notation that’s shared by users.

Thanks again everyone, including the suggestion to post stuff on Muse Score's site.

@stevo58, I used Sibelius before Muse Score. I found Muse Score to be very intuitive; it was an easy transition, and the developers are very responsive to help inquiries.

stevo58, as I mentioned in my previous post, I used PrintMusic before switching to MuseScore, there was a learning period, but it wasn't too long - helped by the fact that there are a lot of forums full of helpful people. Usually a quick search provides a solution to most problems. If german is your mother tongue, the software is also available in that language. One thing though - make sure that you can convert your finale files to so-called musicxml format. I couldn't (Linux as my OS) and had to convert PrintMusic to midi to Musescore, which caused me to scream ##**))]]*** quite a lot.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

One thing on my Musescore wish list would be a feature where I can batch feed abc files into Musescore after having created a model file (with parameters like large tab numbers, ipad specific proportions, etc) So I can make booklets for tablet of tunes from different sources.
    -and then occasionally print out favourite tune versions.

One of the main disadvantages of these types of software is that they use up huge amounts of valuable practice time.

Thx, I've given it a try on a simple lead sheet, and imported an xml file. It seems pretty straightforward for the basic stuff, note entry is quick and easy. Looks like a good choice.
    Silverangel Econo A #438 (“Swazi”)
    Schnoor Silver Bell Style 5 Tenor
    Schnoor 5-string open back
    Martin OM-21
    1950 Epiphone Devon
    Emmons GS-10
    More electrics than you can shake a stick at. I have to sell this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolinsanity View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone on the Cafe uses MuseScore
    I do, but I'm still using the older version 2.1 which I'm quite happy with.

But I don't like the changes they made in version 3. (Too much to list here.) We'll see if the eventual upcoming version 4 fixes some of the issues I had with v3. Meanwhile, v2.1 still works fine for me, with Windows 10, no reason for me to change it.