Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MuseScore software

Default Re: MuseScore software

I use MuseScore and like it a lot. I upgraded to v3 last week and noticed that it doesn't overwrite v2 if you install in a separate folder in Windows so you can run both versions. I upgraded because I wanted to download a score that was created in the new version and wouldn't open in v2.
    Rob

2. The following members say thank you to RobH for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    I upgraded to v3 last week and noticed that it doesn't overwrite v2 if you install in a separate folder in Windows so you can run both versions.
    True, but there was an unexpected problem after I did that last year. Unfortunately, that particular iteration of v3.x reassigned a bunch of my Windows file associations - things that the Musescore installer should *not* have even been messing with in the first place. Not acceptable.

To make things worse, as it turned out, un-installing v3 did *not* return the file associations to how they were before. I had to manually and tediously reassign each and every of the multiple filetypes that the v3.x installer had altered. I was not happy with that experience.

Hopefully they've straightened that out by now in the probably-many subsequent v3 releases (the 3-dot-somethings), but I'm not willing to be a guinea pig to find out.

(I didn't expect that an app like MuseScore would totally screw up things in that way, otherwise I suppose I could have created a Windows "Restore Point" before running the installer... but that isn't exactly ideal either, because anytime in the past I've tried to revert to a previous Restore Point I had to also subsequently reinstall my entire antivirus suite because it doesn't cotton to such changes. I regard the use of System Restore as a last resort for major catastrophes, which I wasn't expecting from Musescore.)

Anyway, I got that mess straightened out and got Windows back to how it was before I foolishly tried to "upgrade" to Musescore 3.x, so everything's fine again.

There were other things that were deal-breakers for me, in that version of 3.x, such as the absurdly large mixer (other people have made complaints about that here and here, screenshots here and here). There was nothing wrong with the nice old *small* efficient perfectly-functional v2 mixer, they should not have changed it just for the sake of change. I routinely write for at least a dozen 'instruments' and often need to have mixer *and* score visible onscreen at the same time, v2 mixer fits fine, but gigantic oversized v3 mixer just didn't make sense, too big. Also, unrelated to the mixer, that version of 3.x had unacceptable problems with fonts, it was just on-and-on with the various problems, ugh no thanks. And no, it was not a beta, where one would expect such things.

But...

The (by now) tried-and-true older Musescore 2.1 works great and I'm going to keep using it as long as possible. That v3.x experience provided enough unexpected drama to last me for quite a while. A little bit of computer aggravation goes a long ways with me nowadays, I'm too old to spend all my time fighting useless troublesome "upgrades" when it doesn't need to be that way. I'll stay with what works.

(Lest anyone think it's improper to whine about 'free' open-source software, in the past I have in fact made small donations to the Musescore project, back when they were producing releases that I found useful. I believe it's important to reward people for good behavior and support software developers who create things that work right. I might donate again someday *if* they ever produce another version that isn't riddled with unacceptable user-interface problems. I'm not a programmer so I can't help them with their coding though.)

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    I upgraded because I wanted to download a score that was created in the new version and wouldn't open in v2.
    Yeah I can see that would be a reason to use the newer version. I haven't (yet) personally encountered that situation, as I don't ordinarily work with other people's actual Musescore files so it hasn't been an issue yet. I'd probably just toss the file out and rewrite it by hand from some other source (pdf or something), or look for an online converter if such exists, not sure.

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    I love that Musescore has a HUGE library of notation that’s shared by users.
    How do you search for music, find a list or whatever?

You can search on the Musescore site by title or use a search engine with ‘title’ and Musescore. ‘All of me sheet music Musescore’.

For traditional tunes, traditionalmusic.co.uk has plenty of charts as well.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    How do you search for music, find a list or whatever?
    That's not the primary purpose of MuseScore, but it can import sheet music you might find elsewhere.

For example, many of us in the Irish and Scottish traditional music scene rely on the huge tune database at thesession.org. All of those tunes exist in displayed sheet music, Midi, and ABC format. The ABC format can be cut and pasted from your web browser into MuseScore using a plugin, and then edited as needed or printed.

I'm using Musecore in that very basic way to import Irish/Scottish fiddle tunes from thesession.org. I can change a few notes here and there to conform to how they're played in local sessions, then print out a sheet for practice.

I've downloaded MuseScore, but haven't used it. I have Dix Bruce's Parking Lot Picker's songbook. All the music is written for a man's range. Ideally, I'd like to be able to transpose many of those songs to keys in my range. I've downloaded lots of pieces from Musicnotes.com, but a lot of what I want isn't there. I'll try Bill's suggestion for doing a MuseScore search.

Dave Berry

I love it. I used to use TableEdit, never used Sibelius but I now chart all sort of things in MuseScore from originals to transcriptions of traditional favs. It great for doing harmonies as well. I almost always export a midi file and import to my DAW to conceptualize an arrangement. I've found it invaluable to learning standard notation and once you get the hang of it, very easy to create tab charts for friends and bandmates. I feel it has improved me overall as a musician. cheers
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

9. The following members say thank you to tuhker for this post:

TheSession.org is great and ‘limited’ many to trad tunes- I like that.

I find it’s often better to search for people rather than lists of tunes- especially true for lists of songs which are based on personal taste.
    On the session you would look for comments that you like and go to the author of those comments, then check copy their Tunebook (this sometimes doesn’t work because their tunebook is in the thousands.)
    You’re basically looking for tunes or songs based on certain people’s favourites. Baron’s site at mandolessons.com is a good example.

Here’s another: http://www.rudemex.co.uk/library/ABC/01tunelib_abc.php

And of course on Musescore you can search by name of popular (or even unpopular) song, find version you like and finally search by author.

11. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

It appears I have the free version of MuseScore. I can't seem to find the price to upgrade and made several unsuccessful attempts to submit an information form to get a price. Before I pursue a potential upgrade further, are there benefits to upgrading if I just want to download an occasional piece of sheet music and maybe write some simple arrangements?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    It appears I have the free version of MuseScore. I can't seem to find the price to upgrade and made several unsuccessful attempts to submit an information form to get a price. Before I pursue a potential upgrade further, are there benefits to upgrading if I just want to download an occasional piece of sheet music and maybe write some simple arrangements?
    If you want to write, I believe you have to join. I think its $49/yr, (just checked, it’s $29) and maybe has a monthly rate as well. You can use it on a computer and a tablet for that price. It depends on the genre of tune you are looking for, they don't appear to have a lot of traditional music but do have a lot of classical and jazz music.
    Last edited by Bill McCall; Apr-03-2021 at 8:35pm.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

14. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Sherry- Musescore is a GNU General public license. There is no fee to use it, just a fee to download tunes that other people have input. Parking Lot Picker's songbook has very basic melodies. Learn to input the notation into Musescore yourself and then transpose it. It has a learning curve but once you get it it will open up a whole bunch of possibilities. Sometimes I will input just a few measures that I have trouble with the timing and then play them back at a slow speed. It's a great learning tool.
    Rob

16. The following members say thank you to RobH for this post: