Thread: Chris Henry Mandolin Lessons

Default Chris Henry Mandolin Lessons

If you’ve never seen Chris Henry’s downloadable mandolin lessons, they are really excellent. http://www.noyamountainmusic.com/downloads/

They are not particularly cheap @$20, and they are definitely more for an intermediate to advanced player, but they are the best I’ve found for learning Bill Monroe tunes as they were originally written.

You have to learn by ear- no tab or sheet music, but he teaches the tunes phrase by phrase. A lot of rewinding to listen again + again... but it’s very effective.

I guess I’m really excited about his lessons because I already play most of the classic Monroe tunes he offers, but I don’t play all of the original licks + tricks that Monroe wrote. There’s something really satisfying about re-learning these tunes from the ground up in their original, authentic forms.

NFI on my part, but if you’re into bluegrass I think you might really enjoy these... Even if you’re a beginner you would really improve your listening / playing by ear skills by working through one of his lessons. $20 is actually very reasonable when you consider that lessons generally run $50-60 hr... and you’d never learn this much in a single lesson!
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Default Re: Chris Henry Mandolin Lessons

As an FYI- many of these are available via Don Julin’s Mandolins Heal The World.

Not sure if it’s a complete list, but there are a bunch in there. Worth getting your free trial to see what’s available if you haven’t poked around yet.

Default Re: Chris Henry Mandolin Lessons

I’ve done a couple of lessons from Chris. He has monroe style down to perfection.

Don’t know if everyone is like this, but I can play a tune a thousand times reading tab or notation and still not have it memorized, but if I learn it by ear I got it.