Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NMD - Apitius Classic

Default NMD - Apitius Classic

Should be here mid-week.

The waiting is always the hardest part, but a wonderful addition to the stable.

I have never heard an Apitius I didn't fall in love with.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LKN2MYIS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: NMD - Apitius Classic

Very nice John, I bet mine was built along with yours! Mine should arrive soon as well, at least I hope! Its a custom wood LS Voiced Rosine with a Black Cherry stain/varnish finish! I always wanted a build I had a hand in, I picked out the wood, neck shape, Alessi pearl button tuners, I went with a mis-matched top, wider grain on bass side and finer grain on treble. Oliver said he's never done that combo before.

I have a handful of builders I admire and picked an Apitius as some serious bang for the buck! Exciting!

4. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Blog Entries

What voicing did you go with for yours? Also Cremona or Black Cherry or? I sure didn't need another mandolin but hey I have a problem and it requires splendid instruments! Life's short-Pick hard!

Thank you.

Don't think ours were 'bench brothers' though.

Mine was built in 2016 and is the Classic model. It's been in a shop in Louisiana - new - being ignored. I suppose you'd call it NOS - no one ever owned or played it.

I had been watching it for a while, contacted the shop, and we arrived at a price that was fair to both of us.

Yours sounds like it is indeed a very special instrument! Looks AND sound wise. It must have been a lot of fun figuring out what specs you wanted to have. That particular pleasure has yet to happen for me.

Oliver does indeed make some incredible instruments. The few I've had the pleasure to hear and play have been very, very impressive.

The waiting is killing me! I have a ToneGuard just sitting here waiting for it!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apitius.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	188670

"The Classic model is based on the look of the later loar period mandolins (circa 1924) ". In BLACK CHERRY burst.
    Last edited by LKN2MYIS; Sep-20-2020 at 2:53pm.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LKN2MYIS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Oh Yeah, yours I seen when I was seeing if any were used or "NOS", I think yours was on Reverb?, I loved the look-very stunning but the neck profile wasn't for me. I should be getting mine in a week or so I'd imagine, just waiting for Oliver to give me the call! I'm really happy I ordered a bit over a year ago and locked in his old price and he let me make payments here and there as it would've been tough to come up with all the cash at once when its ready! Oliver is a fantastic luthier and super nice guy that I would recommend to anyone who wants a custom build!

I can hardly wait to wrap my paws around it and see how it sounds, well I just know it'll be killer as I've yet to hear a bad one!

Very excited to be expecting this one.

Spoke to Oliver about it before the purchase to see if it was right for me. It was.

He makes incredible instruments.

I am a huge fan of Oliver's.....I am getting my model j from him about the same time William Smith is getting his
    waiting is hard however, especially when you have instant gratification syndrome as I do.

Keith

11. The following members say thank you to Keith Johnston for this post:

Keith -

Was just speaking with Oliver about his "J" models.

I am on the list......

John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spudpicker View Post
    I am a huge fan of Oliver's.....I am getting my model j from him about the same time William Smith is getting his
    waiting is hard however, especially when you have instant gratification syndrome as I do.

Keith
    I wonder if he built ours together? Oliver is done with mine but waiting on the cases so he can clear coat them after he applies his logo to them. Those J's are pretty neat!

set back and relax his list is long but well worth the wait.

keith

Yes.

As I said, the waiting is the hardest part!

Blog Entries

Well worth the wait! I've waited a bit over a year, I have serious patience though as I've been waiting 2 years for my 1919 OO-18 Attic find to get repaired-Yes they're still out there! Mine was going to get thrown out, very happy it was rescued! Also been waiting over a year for my oddball 1934 Joe Wilson F-5 to get fixed! So a year is nothing as I have a stable of killer mandolins to play with! So waiting a bit over a year is nothing for me! Oliver builds fantastic mandolins in look and overall sound, there is a load of great builders and he's tops for sure. Well worth the wait!

17. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I'm playing an Apitius Yorkville Jazz in a video just posted over in the jazz board..."DSQ Plays Nectarine"

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

That will hopefully be my next mandolin.

I think they were built at the same time mine is also done just calmly waiting for him to ship it... when I first saw his J Model I fell in love with the look and sound

Blog Entries

I'm very excited for my build to arrive! Its pretty sweet Oliver offers his LS "Loar style Voicing now" That's what I went with but there sure isn't nothing wrong with his voicing so it was the hardest decision I had on my build! It should be a great sounding F-5! I loved the look of all his 5's but the Rosine I went with I loved and is pretty much the same but without more binding right? Oh and mine has his flowerpot rather than the fern type vine. His very dark Black Cherry stain is gorgeous as I have enough old 20's-30's F-5's with the trad. Cremona. Oliver also said on my back its the nicest back he's ever used, also he's never done one with a mis-matched top! He's been a pleasure to deal with on every aspect of my build and for what Oliver charges for his great builds its worth every penny as when I was looking at the other luthiers I admire his stood way out for bang for the buck! Oliver is tops in my very short book of great builders.

Sorry if I'm beating this thread to death but the anticipation/excitement of a build I had my hands or should I say my mind in designing is interesting to me as I've never had one built custom for my liking! I imagine I'll be getting this one very soon and I'll be sure to post some good pix when I get it and I'm a believer all instruments need broken in to open up and develop their tone so one day in the future I'll try and get a video sound sample up and running for here, I had a thread awhile back and still need to get some video/sound of my other mighty fine mandolins but as it has been life gets in the way of such endeavors! Happy picking to all!

23. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13620 Back Full right ps 1080 X 720.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	188781 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13620 Front Full Left 1080 X 720 (1).jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	188782 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13620 Front Full right ps 1080 X 720.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	188783

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13620 Back Full Left ps 1080 X 720 Rosine back.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	188784 I just got these about an hour ago from Oliver, here is my new Gal, just waiting on the case before he can ship so maybe another week? What a beauty! Oliver said its a cannon that will only get better once opened up! I'm thrilled I got to be part of picking out all the wood used, and lucky I got to pick some Alessi tuners as Oliver said these are the Rolls Royce of tuners! This will be a keeper for sure!

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Here is My finished left handed Apitius. I just got these today also what a beauty..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	188785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	188786  

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Keith Johnston For This Useful Post:

spudpicker -

That's what I want BUT: righty, block fretboard inlays.

She is a lovely thing is she not?

Keith

Most certainly.

And I'm sure sounds as pretty as she looks.

Oh, man, I love the Apitius look and sound... Haven't had the oportunity to try one though... Congrats!

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

I love every Apitius i have been fortunate to lay hands on. World class in all aspects .02. Great guy to boot.

Hi Don,

While I was initially looking at Oliver to build me a mandolin one of the contributing factors was the photo and and note from you and the ton of others on his website
    and then on talking to Oliver himself. When I asked him to build me a lefty J he did not hesitate even though he had only built one other lefty in his 40 some od years of building. So thank you for you music and testimonial it clinched it for me. I only hope I can do this beauty justice..
    Keith