Thread: Sierra Hull has a Patreon!

Default Sierra Hull has a Patreon!

Sierra Hull has started a Patreon as a way to connect with fans.

If you have $100 a month, you can get one-on-one lessons from her. I do not have $100 a month, besides which me taking a lesson from Sierra Hull would be like hiring Richard Feynmann to teach my cat to count.

Anyway, there are also $5 and $20 tiers with ample benefits for the price IMO. https://www.patreon.com/sierrahull/posts

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadExampleMan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sierra Hull has a Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by BadExampleMan View Post
    Sierra Hull has started a Patreon as a way to connect with fans.

If you have $100 a month, you can get one-on-one lessons from her. I do not have $100 a month, besides which me taking a lesson from Sierra Hull would be like hiring Richard Feynmann to teach my cat to count.

Anyway, there are also $5 and $20 tiers with ample benefits for the price IMO. https://www.patreon.com/sierrahull/posts
    I have the one hundred bucks per month but her potential teaching ability could not override my playing short comings ! Not at my age anyway !

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

This is absolutely not the circumstances I would have wished for this to happen under, but with covid there are suddenly so many more resources for folks learning instruments. Between patreon pages with lessons, tips, transcriptions, etc, and classes like what Seeds of Music is doing, there is more material out there than any one person could consume.

Lifestyle videos? Give me a break
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

7. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Lifestyle videos? Give me a break
    There are probably a good number of folks who would enjoy something like that and access to her. I watch cooking shows all the time.

Wow, one lesson per year after you pay 3 $100 monthly payments ($300 total)...pretty steep considering most pros charge $50-90 per one hour lesson....ymmv
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

As far as teachers/instructors go, you don't have to be an excellent player to be an excellent teacher and you can be an excellent player and be an excellent teacher ! There were a number of excellent baseball managers that were lousy players ! Mickey Mantle wanted to manage but wiser minds knew he would not be a good manager/teacher . Too much natural talent and he had difficulty managing himself but a great player . Anyway, I'm sure there are some very fine/excellent mandolin teachers out there without paying a great sum , are not famous and not professionals . But, I am not taking anything away from Sierra as she could be a master teacher and we already know she is a master player !

Just FYI, last night as part of the $20 tier benefit, Ms. Hull did her first monthly live stream. She jammed with her husband for a bit more than an hour and then spent 20 minutes or so answering questions that people posted in chat. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

This is where you are going to be able to tell who can build and sustain a career as well as a business. I feel bad for a lot of players right now, but in the background I keep hearing my mom saying "you need to have a backup plan".
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

On a more local level, some of my friends have given virtual concerts on Facebook with amazing initial success tip/donation-wise. One man who is unknown outside of his followers and locally made $250 in tips, which is great considering a local live gig would probably only pay $50 around here....

Another friend, who is not famous outside of our area, but has worked as a sideman for some national acts was able to pull in $3000 in tips...again, a great one-time payday, but the question is, how often can you do it with the same results?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    On a more local level, some of my friends have given virtual concerts on Facebook with amazing initial success tip/donation-wise. One man who is unknown outside of his followers and locally made $250 in tips, which is great considering a local live gig would probably only pay $50 around here....

Another friend, who is not famous outside of our area, but has worked as a sideman for some national acts was able to pull in $3000 in tips...again, a great one-time payday, but the question is, how often can you do it with the same results?
    It gets old fast, as do the online streaming sessions, unless like the Kruger Brothers you develop a format, invest in some technology and it turns into an event on folks weekly calendars. Some musicians will build little cottage industries and thrive. Others are going to struggle.

Not all Paetrons are equal. I’ve joined and quit a few. It all depends on what is supplied for the $$. So, a good business model is going to be key.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Guess I should come out from under the rock more often. I read the thread title and thought it was a new mandolin builder. Really.

One of the bennies of SH’s Patreon is a discount on her merch, which I mention because that’s how I know she’s selling a book/DVD set: the book is tab and standard notation for 10 of her songs, and the DVDs are her breaking down the solos and teaching them. Which is the kind of thing that I thought might be of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by BadExampleMan View Post
    One of the bennies of SH’s Patreon is a discount on her merch, which I mention because that’s how I know she’s selling a book/DVD set: the book is tab and standard notation for 10 of her songs, and the DVDs are her breaking down the solos and teaching them. Which is the kind of thing that I thought might be of interest.
    that sounds interesting. I remember, jeez, probably 11-12 yrs ago my stepdaughter(8 at the time) wanted to learn mandolin-got her a weber and the shop recommended this DVD from what looked like a 12-13 yr old girl. her name was Sierra Hull. at the time I didn't delve into mandolin and knew 0 about it. I watched the DVD and was very impressed. I watched that same DVD this weekend and was even more impressed-lol

Sierra has an extremely good teaching side. Able to get info crossed over to us normals in an understandable platform.

hope she does extremely well with this
    d