Thread: Ok, who dunnit?

Default Ok, who dunnit?

A beautiful Gilchrist Model 1 hit the classifieds and Carter e-mail blast today and by the time I called (let's call it an hour after the e-mail went out) I was told it was sold! So fess up! Who nabbed that little beauty?!?!!!

Default Re: Ok, who dunnit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    A beautiful Gilchrist Model 1 hit the classifieds and Carter e-mail blast today and by the time I called (let's call it an hour after the e-mail went out) I was told it was sold! So fess up! Who nabbed that little beauty?!?!!!
    That's funny Mark, as soon as I saw the title of the thread I knew you were talking that Gilchrist oval! A friend of mine and an excellent picker here in Oregon has been bird dogging a Gil Model 1 for a long time and called Carter right when it went up on the board
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

3. The following members say thank you to EvanElk for this post:

You gotta be quick these days!

It was me. I have never posted on Mandolin Cafe but I can review the Gilchrist when I receive it next week. I’ve been wanting one for a while and when I saw it for sale I called Carter and bought it.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TAlex For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Welcome, friend! Nice way to start off with the Cafe community.

Quote Originally Posted by TAlex View Post
    It was me. I have never posted on Mandolin Cafe but I can review the Gilchrist when I receive it next week. I’ve been wanting one for a while and when I saw it for sale I called Carter and bought it.
    I have no doubt it will be excellent. I was at Mandolin Symposium the year Gilchrist was passing around the first of these. I couldn't believe what he achieved with that instrument. Play it and love it in good health.

And, you know.....

Pics or......
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Congrats, TAlex. Sorry, Mark!
    Chuck

Shew, that thing looked like something I'd be willing to run up credit card debt to have. I'm just glad the temptation is gone.

I love that not only did multiple folks see the Gil and think about it, but the person who did saw this post. What a community.

Right! How about a picture so we slowpokes can see what we missed drooling over?

Joe

I'm glad someone sacrificed and I no longer need to weigh the cost (monetary and domestic) of having that stunning instrument join my stable. There were good pics up at Carter's, so I'd love a review or better yet, a sound clip! Play it in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    I'm glad someone sacrificed and I no longer need to weigh the cost (monetary and domestic) of having that stunning instrument join my stable. There were good pics up at Carter's, so I'd love a review or better yet, a sound clip! Play it in good health!
    The Gilchrist Model 1 arrived and it is beautiful, the build quality is fantastic, and the set up is perfect but I’ve decided to return it. I have a Collings MT2O and I prefer the wider fretboard and the longer neck. I also like the tone of the Collings better. It is louder and better low end to my ears. I really wanted to love the Gil but have decided it’s not the one for me. Hopefully it can get in the hands of someone who will love it.

16. The following members say thank you to TAlex for this post:

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    The Gilchrist Model 1 arrived and it is beautiful, the build quality is fantastic, and the set up is perfect but I’ve decided to return it. I have a Collings MT2O and I prefer the wider fretboard and the longer neck. I also like the tone of the Collings better. It is louder and better low end to my ears. I really wanted to love the Gil but have decided it’s not the one for me. Hopefully it can get in the hands of someone who will love it.
    Hopefully, neither of the items I was haunting that got purchased return to tempt me anew

Maybe I should have waited on buying that Heiden....

Blog Entries

One just showed up at Carter Vintage recently. I had the chance to play the prototype of these quite a few years ago when Steve was in the area following a Mike Compton tour. Tried to buy it from him on the spot but it wasn't for sale. Great model! Just showed up in the Classifieds only minutes ago.

Name:  MN1612_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  389.6 KB

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Try a Girouard and you will forget all about that Gil !! plus have money left over for a trip !

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    One just showed up at Carter Vintage recently. I had the chance to play the prototype of these quite a few years ago when Steve was in the area following a Mike Compton tour. Tried to buy it from him on the spot but it wasn't for sale. Great model! Just showed up in the Classifieds only minutes ago.

Name:  MN1612_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  389.6 KB
    I'm pretty sure that's the same one he had at Mandolin Symposium in 2009. That was a beast of an instrument.