Thread: Don Stiernberg Quartet "Nectarine"

Default Don Stiernberg Quartet "Nectarine"

first of another small batch of videos just put up..if you dig please subscribe

yes the tune is from Jazz Mandolin Appetizers

the mandolin is a "Yorkville Jazz" by Oliver Apitius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhEc9U-QWKI

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Don Stiernberg Quartet "Nectarine"

As expected, sounds great, Don!

Oh yeah!

Great Don! Hopefully there's more from that show available. Any footage of the Stevens in action?

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

I'm really liking the new videos you've put out there, Don. Hope you are getting some real live (appropriately distanced) gigs as things start to slowly open up! Stay safe & well.

thanks all,
    tunes added yesterday include Nectarine, Swingin' Till the Girls Come Home(played on the Stevens 5 string electric), It's You Or No One, Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams, It Could Happen to You(new quartet version)Bouncin' With Bud(Stevens again) and Noites Cariocas.

9. The following members say thank you to Don Stiernberg for this post:

Hey Don,
    I would be interested to know the criteria you use when choosing between your Kimble and Apitius Mandos for individual tunes?
    I’ve been fortunate to have heard you play both at different workshops and they both sound great!
    By the way I am enjoying your latest quartet Straight Ahead album. Took a while to get to Canada due to COVID I suppose.

Hi Barry!
    the old red two point is a Nugget..no real criteria for choosing amongst the mandos, just subjective considerations like "this might be fun". Maybe some genre considerations as well-the Apitius is well suited to choro and Latin stuff I feel, and it can facilitate chord melody playing sometimes too. Of course picking up the Stevens electric is more directly dictated by the material-I'm liable to go to that for bluesy, jazzy, Western Swing, and attempts at bebop. In this recent batch for instance Swingin' Till the Girls Come Home, Bouncin' With Bud(Powell that is, not to be confused with Bud's Bounce by steel guitar great buddy Emmons). Just a couple nights ago I played with some early and western swing oriented jazz cats who asked for the electric on the whole gig. I found out early on that I need to pick that one up more often! It's a different sort of beast..
    Hey thanks for checking out the CD and for your patience. My other Canadian friends had the same problem. May have to go with a different carrier. Glad you enjoy!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

I hope it's appropriate to mention this, but if not I hope a moderator will remove it.

Andy Brown, the fine guitarist we often see with Don Stiernberg, has released a solo guitar CD that is as wonderful as you could expect. Andy keeps the rubato to a minimum and is just excellent. He has posted a video to youtube of the simulated release party, and a link to the CD there as well.

14. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post: