Thread: Where is this exquisite Lyon & Healy Style A?

Default Where is this exquisite Lyon & Healy Style A?

I am a totally bonkers fan of L&H Model A (B & C) mandolins. Recently I came across this old advertisement for an unbelievably, absolutely beautiful Model A in literally new condition. If you SCROLL WAY DOWN the ad to the video you will hear what I would guess is the finest example of a Model A in existence. Please correct me if my guess is wrong (???).
    Can any one tell me where this mandolin currently resides? Thank you.

[video]http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Washburn-Style-A-Professional-Mandolin--1925/3718[/video

Oh, just found a link that goes directly to the video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HXtUG68ivY8#
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Sep-26-2020 at 6:39am.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Where is this exquisite Lyon & Healy Style A?

I had an earlier A long scale that was awesome, had a Loar type style oblong case with purple interior! sounded just like the demo above but since I play the grass/country it went fast to a classical player out in California maybe a year or two ago! These do have serious tone! Different than any round/oval hole Gibson! Mine was just as clean with no issues whatsoever! It made the new owner extremely happy! It was a lower serial# also so I believe it was a 1920-21? Too bad one can't keep them all!

3. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Really - that clean!!! Thank you William! It is great to know there are more out there in such condition. Mine is what I would call excellent+ condition, but the one in the video looks like it just came out of the Chicago shop! It appears as if it commanded a premium price as well (deservedly so, I would think). I have often wondered how these mandolins would have faired had L&H had the omarketing hutzpah that Gibson had!

Blog Entries

I believe I sold mine for 4500 or 5K? Its been awhile but mine had the neatest L&H case I've seen, It looked like a Loar F-5 case but purple and fit the points perfectly so that alone added some value!

6. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Blog Entries

I just seen a nice L&H on evilbay about 5 min. ago? A style A and a C!

Shiney, isn't it? I very much enjoyed the piece being played as well as the performance. I'm left asking, like one of the unanswered comments, what is this piece?

Joe

9. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

The piece is Shalom Aleichem (Peace Be With You), the traditional Jewish music sung after prayer to mark the start of Shabbat.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelhai For This Useful Post:

That one is very close to mine in serial number: #2217. Mine is also a Washburn-labelled A pro. Mine is not as shiny but is in excellent condition and sounds fanstastic. I also own a much earlier long scale L&H A.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3296.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	583.0 KB 
ID:	188851 Here is the one I had, I found some old photos I kept! She was a nice one! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3300.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	945.6 KB 
ID:	188852

14. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Hello Tim, I was amazed to find such a very detailed description of a Lyon & Healy Washburn Style A “Professional” mandolin, which matches the instrument I have, though I hasten to add that mine is not as gleamingly perfect as this one. The dating was very helpful as it was my father’s. He was in the US in 1928 when he celebrated his 21st birthday and I think he must have bought it then. I am about to show it to someone who is interested in buying it, but I am not sure if we are singing from the same hymn sheet pricewise! It is in very reasonable condition, and I wonder if you, or anyone else reading this on the Forum, could give me a rough idea as to the price I should be asking. We are in the UK where perhaps the market is different, but it is almost impossible to find out here, as the only reputable shop was not interested in even seeing it. Would be very glad to have any ideas. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillypop View Post
    Hello Tim, I was amazed to find such a very detailed description of a Lyon & Healy Washburn Style A “Professional” mandolin, which matches the instrument I have, though I hasten to add that mine is not as gleamingly perfect as this one. The dating was very helpful as it was my father’s. He was in the US in 1928 when he celebrated his 21st birthday and I think he must have bought it then. I am about to show it to someone who is interested in buying it, but I am not sure if we are singing from the same hymn sheet pricewise! It is in very reasonable condition, and I wonder if you, or anyone else reading this on the Forum, could give me a rough idea as to the price I should be asking. We are in the UK where perhaps the market is different, but it is almost impossible to find out here, as the only reputable shop was not interested in even seeing it. Would be very glad to have any ideas. Thank you.
    I think people on this forum could very easily help you but it would be essential for you to first post pictures of views from the top, bottom, back, closeup and full length side views, front and back of peghead, and a clear picture of the label. If there are any specific blemishes, a close up of them. Could you do that please?

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)