Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recording King ROST-7-TS - part 1

Default Re: Recording King ROST-7-TS - part 1

FWIW I've setup tons of guitars and mandolins and it has always been a back and forth. It takes time for everything to settle in so expect to keep adjusting for 6-9 months - longer if you live in a place with big weather swings.

I can't wait to get my hands on one to try out. Enjoy!
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

2. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by john bange View Post
    after the mentioned cranks on the truss rod, the overnight hang on a hook seemed to do the trick for me...new strings and a set of pins. if you ever change out the tuners, you will find the originals are undersized and a reamer is needed. the finish on the peg head is very fragile. I agree...it's a pretty good buy for the price.
    John - I am planning to replace the tuners. How did you get the old ones off? Man those are small screws! I think they're Philips heads but could be Allens. I need a magnifying glass!
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

Interesting thread. Only contribution I can make is I like a wound A (in GDAE) on a tenor, it sounds a lot better to me than a PS A when strumming chords.

Means I have to buy custom strings...
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

5. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    Interesting thread. Only contribution I can make is I like a wound A (in GDAE) on a tenor, it sounds a lot better to me than a PS A when strumming chords.

Means I have to buy custom strings...
    I agree - the Curt Mangan strings I mentioned have a wound A
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

Quote Originally Posted by shaundeane View Post
    John - I am planning to replace the tuners. How did you get the old ones off? Man those are small screws! I think they're Philips heads but could be Allens. I need a magnifying glass!
    For those still wondering the screws in the back of the tuners are #1 Philips.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

Quote Originally Posted by sounds_good View Post
    For those still wondering the screws in the back of the tuners are #1 Philips.
    Thank you!. I did determine they were Philips but knowing they are #1, I'll get a better screwdriver at the hardware store tomorrow. Don't want to strip them. Thank you again.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

Quote Originally Posted by john bange View Post
    after the mentioned cranks on the truss rod, the overnight hang on a hook seemed to do the trick for me...new strings and a set of pins. if you ever change out the tuners, you will find the originals are undersized and a reamer is needed. the finish on the peg head is very fragile. I agree...it's a pretty good buy for the price.
    That's good information, thank you. I have the new tuners and the reamer as well as bridge pins. Just go slow with the reamer, I assume? And also, another assumption is to ream to the depth of the bushing? Seems obvious but always good to have any pro tips. :-)
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

Never mind, got them installed. Very easy. 20 minute job. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

Quote Originally Posted by mreidsma View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 4.44.49 PM.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	188992

Checking it on my favorite string tension calculator, a .009 would be just fine. A .0095 might not break as often (my .009s historically break because of mechanical issues like 6 year olds with vigorous strumming action, rather than string tension.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 4.49.10 PM.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	188993

FWIW, here it is with a .010 for the A and a .024 for the G - that tension might be too much for the G. I usually try to keep things at around 20lbs/string. Your .010 is currently at 23lbs, so I personally think it'll feel better if you drop it to a .009.
    Hello - expecting to receive a new Ibanez Parlor tenor today. First one was damaged in shipping. They ship CGDA and I know that I will definitely want to try GDAE. My experience moving to heavier strings on Tenors has been good. The editor mentioned here is very useful (thank you) and as I play with possibilities on a 22.75" scale, I'm ending up with these GDAE gauges: 46, 32, 22, 12 and the editor indicates tension of 87.863 points, which I believe is acceptable? I'd prefer not to rip the bridge off :-)
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

I noticed a question about string spacing. I don't have a basis
    for comparison, but I measured this tenor guitar in case someone
    looks here.

Recording King ROST-7-TS

nut width = 1+1/4 inch = 32 mm
    string spacing at nut = 1/3 inch = 8.3 mm
    string spacing at bridge = 1/2 inch = 12.5 mm
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

13. The following members say thank you to sounds_good for this post:

After Fiddle Hell last week, wrists feel very tired, so I got the Recording King ROST-7-TS tenor guitar for easy-on-wrists playing. Removed unknown CGDA strings, installed GDAE strings 11-20-30-42, sounds great, big bright sound. Playability. Neck had big forward bow, truss rod was adjusted on-the-spot at the guitar shop, now has a tiny forward bow (as it should?). action at the nut is perfect (the G slot still needs to be adjusted for the fatter G string). action at the bridge is on the high side, I have an extra saddle to play with lowering it.

15. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post: