Thread: Grace felix vs. Red eye

Default Grace felix vs. Red eye

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the felix? I currently use the red eye, but I want to start blending. Felix is a significant price increase is it worth it? Or should I just use the red eye with a mic blended through the mixer? Thanks!

Also, I have k & k twin, if that helps.
    Whistle through your teeth and spit because...

Default Re: Grace felix vs. Red eye

I use Felix, RedEye and some other preamps playing mandolin, guitar, bouzouki, banjo, dobro, Weissenborn ...
    The Felix is an awesome unit packed with great features, transparent and true sound, highest built quality...
    I really like the RedEye for simplicity of use and great sound, the only feature missing to me is a sweepable Low Cut filter. Essential when using soundboard transducers like K&K in boomy guitars, even more essential when using internal mics. If you play mandolin with a dual source (PU/mic) system, maybe this would be not so much an issue
    My first choice when buying a blender/preamp these days would be Sunnaudio MS-2. Great sound quality, packed with features, priced significantly below the Felix. One feature that I love especially and which no other blender/preamp that I tried offers: By hitting the solo boost button only boost the PU channel. That will keep you from feedback hell. I love my MS-2.
    I use a K&K / DPA 4061 combo on my mandolin.

In my opinion let the mixer do the mixing.

I guess you mean blending mic input with a pick up.
    You want to exercise some caution doing that. There
    are typically time of arrival differences roughly half
    to one ms. That can result in so called destructive
    and constructive interference of the two channels
    primarily in the frequency range 500 Hz to 2 kHz.
    You cannot correct that by equalization. In the
    studio you can carefully de-skew the channels in
    the mix, but probably not live. Musicians typically
    get caught up in a song or audience response and
    move around, changing the distance from the mic
    to the instrument.

Well, that is my opinion.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

Quote Originally Posted by Shortjourneyhome View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any experience with the felix? I currently use the red eye, but I want to start blending. Felix is a significant price increase is it worth it? Or should I just use the red eye with a mic blended through the mixer? Thanks!

Also, I have k & k twin, if that helps.
    I am a huge Red Eye fan And used one for many years hundred gigs or so But in the never ending quest for better I decided to try a grace design unit

So I bought a Grace Bix. It was OK but had a certain hi-fi sound to it and not quite the warmth of the redeye to my ears especially on mandolin. (I double on guitar)

I ended up buying another Red Eye Twin and to my surprise they added two new features.

1) a 9v plug for power supplies....Which I love because I always seem to forget to change my battery at the wrong moment

2) Dspecial switch on channel B for exactly your needs....to select the intended use for that channel interal mic or pick up

Has anyone compared these and A B’d them with the Radial Tonebone PZ pre Acoustic Pre amp?
    I have been using this for pre amp for blending the piezo and magnetic pickups for my Phoenix Jazz.
    It sounds great to me! It has no battery option however!

Before the redeye twin I had Radial Tone Bone for another hundred gigs it’s a fine unit. Too many buttons for me I find the Red Eye to be stupid simple, consistent (perhaps due to the lack of adjustments) and a great match for my K&K pick-ups.

7. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post: