Thread: Bluegrass Mando Lessons??

Default Bluegrass Mando Lessons??

Allrighty Folks,
    Im finally going to get serious about learning this instrument. Im pretty much a linear type person and need certain structure so question is what do you think is a good way to approach this. I would like either a book or video where they say you are learning this beginner way in order to get to this advanced way. Let me know your experience ect.
    Cheers,
    RC

Default Re: Bluegrass Mando Lessons??

Quote Originally Posted by robcurtis2 View Post
    Allrighty Folks,
    Im finally going to get serious about learning this instrument. Im pretty much a linear type person and need certain structure so question is what do you think is a good way to approach this. I would like either a book or video where they say you are learning this beginner way in order to get to this advanced way. Let me know your experience ect.
    Cheers,
    RC
    For a book with audio and video as well, Bert Casey's "Mandolin Primer" helped me a lot. An online instrcuter is also an option

Both Peghead Nation and ArtistWorks will provide you with the structure you need. Both have a comparable cost involved but well worth it. I've used both Sharon Gilchrist's and Mike Marshall's courses. They have different teaching styles but they provide an outline of available lessons, up front, as well.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

4. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post:

Greg Horne's beginner mando book is excellent. Everyone should probably start with Mike Marshall's fundamental DVDs. After that, I'd also second Sharon's Peghead Nation courses. Admittedly, I have no idea about her beginner courses, but I enjoy her intermediate courses a lot.

I could tell you what books and tapes to avoid but that would risk a lawsuit!!!
    David Herman

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    Greg Horne's beginner mando book is excellent. Everyone should probably start with Mike Marshall's fundamental DVDs. After that, I'd also second Sharon's Peghead Nation courses. Admittedly, I have no idea about her beginner courses, but I enjoy her intermediate courses a lot.
    I started out with Sharon's beginner course. Note that she really stresses learning by ear and there is no TAB sheet music. I am using Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks course now and I think it has a lot of good resources and the video critique is helpful. Mike has a nice way of critiquing your playing without hurting tour feelings

Perhaps you have heard of Los Indios Tabajaras, the famous guitar duo. The story goes that they found a guitar and taught themselves how to play.
    Before you buy any books or videos try out your mandolin on your own. Give it a try!
    David Herman

You might check this out: https://www.homespun.com/shop/produc...-the-mandolin/.

I’ve never used this particular lesson, but Homespun’s lessons are always presented clearly and filmed well. They include music/tab.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories