Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Van Halen RIP

Default Eddie Van Halen RIP

Default Re: Eddie Van Halen RIP

I remember when I heard Eruption the first time back in 78' i was a young rocker back then Jaw hit the floor....... saw them open for Black Sabbath.....
    Eastman MD515
    Kentucky KM-180S
    Kentucky KM-252
    Rogue RM-100A crash test dummy mandolin,

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    I'm a big VH fan. Got to see them a couple of times after they reunited with David Lee Roth. If you do a search, you can find a few photos of Eddie playing the mandolin. No recordings that I know of.

Eddie on mando
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eddie_Mando1.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	189020  

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

RIP. Bummer that it's due to cancer. He still had years left in him.

Disceptively skilled. Watch out for those guys that make it look easy.

Being a Chain Smoker was not good for him..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

RIP. 65 years old is way too young. Very sad. He was someone’s, son, brother, father, friend, uncle,...

I remember when Guitar Player and other instrument-oriented pubs covered Van Halen 24/7. When we make a list of influential instrumentalists, he'll rank in the same stratum as Hendrix, Reinhardt and Les Paul, IMHO.

Having said that, I must admit that the "shred" approach was never my cup of tea. I'll listen to the melodic approach of a Wes Montgomery much longer than the blizzard of notes one of the shredders puts out. To each his own, but we must recognize Van Halen's skill and importance. Another sad loss -- especially when he surely had much more to contribute.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I was deeply saddened to hear of his passing. Being an 80s kid, EVH was a big part of my life. Every boy in my generation at some point wanted to play guitar, and mostly because of Eddie. I remember in 1986 our local FM station was counting down the days to when the new song with Hagar singing would air. My brother and I sat by the stereo together and heard “Why Can’t This Be Love?” for the first time. It was magical.

RIP, EVH.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

I had heard he was having some serious medical issues a few months ago, didn't know what kind. Couple years ago his son started a band up and I'm not sure for how many concerts, but I think EVH played some of them.

we are losing a lot of the names these last few years.

d

This guy inspired literally hundreds of millions of kids to pick up the guitar.
    The style? Whatever.

He inspired them to play music. And it is sad to see him go at such a young age.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ain't Talkin' Bout Love.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	189033
    The whole song (including the solo (with chords, even)) is very mandolinable.
    You'll have to tune down a half-step if you want to play along with the band.

A big Thanks to Eddie for what he gave us.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Eddie saved us from disco...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Bummer, not my kind of music but can't deny his talent! I remember in the early 90's high school band I was in replacing a guitarist who loved him and had an old strat dolled up like Eddies and he was showing me that tune run with the devil or whatever it was called and it was the same but different type fingering/position intro as Jimmy's purple haze! So then it was a realization for this 13 year old at the time that genius really borrows from other genius from earlier generations! It was a click in my young mind that wished I would've started playing at a way younger age and had a teacher! Sure I was shown chords but not like kids today with $ and all the teaching out there in the world wide web! Some have it from the start as a true gift and some work hard for mediocre talent like me! RIP

When the first album came out, a friend brought it over to our apt. with great excitement stating he didn't know what to call this style of music. I just remember turning the volume up a bit on the stereo. Our landlord happened to be at the building that Saturday attending to something for another resident. Of course the knock on the door politely asking me to turn it down. We had a great relationship and I was a little embarrassed but you can certainly understand the need to listen to this music cranked!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

One of the all-time great players and proof that the 10,000 hour practice rule (plus Schlitz beer) works!

RIP, EVH

24. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

V70416 

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Eddie saved us from disco...
    Ha, ha, that maybe true but at the time I remember a lot of girls liked disco.

That other joke,
    ‘Do you like disco music?’ -No, not at all.
    ‘Then why are you at the disco?’ -because that’s where the...’

26. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

I still say that George Harrison is actually the most influential guitarist the world has ever known. His playing is what initially lead millions to put down the accordion and pick up a guitar. That said, there are only a handful of game changers, the guys that made playing guitar completely different level. That Mount Rushmore would include Van Halen and Hendrix. I really don't know who else would be considered unique on the instrument and ground breaking, in the way they were. Sure, there's enormously talented influences like Clapton and Beck, Jango and Wes, Les Paul and Chet Atkins, but VH and Jimi take top spots on every list.

29. The following members say thank you to Woyvel for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Woyvel View Post
    I still say that George Harrison is actually the most influential guitarist the world has ever known. His playing is what initially lead millions to put down the accordion and pick up a guitar. That said, there are only a handful of game changers, the guys that made playing guitar completely different level. That Mount Rushmore would include Van Halen and Hendrix. I really don't know who else would be considered unique on the instrument and ground breaking, in the way they were. Sure, there's enormously talented influences like Clapton and Beck, Jango and Wes, Les Paul and Chet Atkins, but VH and Jimi take top spots on every list.
    I don't disagree about George Harrison. EVH was the Harrison of the late 70s/80s. He got kids interested in playing guitar, like Harrison did before him. It always bothered me how Eddie sort of got pigeonholed into the whole 80s thing, when in reality he was an innovator on the level of a Chet Atkins or Hendrix. There are TONS of great players out there (known and unknown) but there have been few who have broken new ground. EVH was one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Woyvel View Post
    Van Halen and Hendrix played during your lifetime, I suspect, which is why you would put them on the Mt. Rushmore of guitarists. I don't dispute that, but there were earlier guitarists who changed the way the world looked at the instrument, and those would likely be the ones I would put up there.

Think about how the guitar was only a background rhythm instrument in jazz until Django played lead with his Hot Club Quintet. In fact, jazz was primarily for horns until Reinhardt and Grappelli showed how it could swing on the strings also.

And how Chet Akins inspired a whole range of guitarists, from country pickers like Roy Clark and Glen Campbell, to rockers like Mark Knopfler or eclectic players (all styles) like Tommy Emmanuel.

But this is a Van Halen tribute thread and I do not dispute his talent at all. He left way too young.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eddie van halen mandobass.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	189063
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Regarding Van Halen's smoking habit (Post #8): listening to a morning "talk" show (Rover's Morning Glory, if you must know), I heard him quoted that his throat cancer was not due to smoking (although he quit some time ago), but to a habit he had of keeping a metal guitar pick in his mouth, perhaps during performances. This was his take on carcinogenic exposure.

Puts me in mind of John Prine, who just passed away from COVID-19 complications, but had a series of bouts with cancer that seemed directly related to his long-term cigarette habit. And yet, on his last album, his song When I Get To Heaven said one of the joys of the afterlife would be to "smoke a cigarette nine miles long." Addiction is addiction, and it's not just the "hard drugs" (Hendrix, Janis, many others) that lead to premature death for some of our musical icons.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM