Thread: Buzzing on Greek Bouzouki since I changed tuning + string gauges

Default Buzzing on Greek Bouzouki since I changed tuning + string gauges

Hello Everyone!

I've been reading for a long time here but now I actually need some help from the experts

Recently I purchased a Greek bouzouki and based on this forum post (see image) I changed the tuning from CFAD to GDAD/ADAD and changed the string gauges accordingly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	229 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	189042

Since I changed the strings and retuned it the Zouk started to buzz extremely at the first 3 frets. And this happens only on the Lowest string (now tuned to G). I used a gauge .036 string for this from a set of Ernie Ball 0.10 guitar strings (I removed the ball to create the loop). It happens both when it is tuned to G and when it is tuned to A. For this zouk I use Octave Pairing.

You can find a video here of the sound and problems: https://requiem1991.stackstorage.com/s/pgCYdRN3lmh8TtlJ

I can see a small back-bow on the neck but first I wanted to ask the experts for some help! I already did this process on my old greek zouk and this didn't cause any problems at that time.

Thank you very much.

-Michael

Default Re: Buzzing on Greek Bouzouki since I changed tuning + string gau

Michael,

My first thoughts are:

1. The fourth fret is high. Can you use a small straight edge placed from the 3rd to the 5th frets, and see if it rocks back on forth on the 4th fret? That fret might be a hair high (which is why is only affects the first 3 fret positions).

2. The nut slot for the G string is too low. Did you widen the slot to put in the G? (I am not familiar with the CFAD tuning, but I assume the C is a fourth higher than the G you just added.) If this is the case, you can fill the slot with bone dust or baking soda and liquid super glue and recut the slot.

3. Too much backbow (convex bow) in the neck - it looks like that zouk has an adjustable truss rod at the headstock, you might need to adjust it to add some relief (concave bow).

Good luck! It's a beautiful instrument!

-Matthew

3. The following members say thank you to mreidsma for this post: