Thread: Pono GOM, preferred wood combo?

Default Pono GOM, preferred wood combo?

I am considering buying a guitar octave mandolin from Pono. I own a GT 800+ and it's okay, but I had a chance to play a guitar body OM a while back and really liked the tone. So, for a Pono, I am considering the larger body size and cutaway version. However, what wood choices are best? I was thinking spruce over mahogany would give me better note separation, but the rosewood is awfully pretty! 🤣

So, given this, and that I play singer/songwriter stuff and Celtic, what body wood combo should I consider? I do not play in a band but do record my own stuff. I am leaning mahogany, which is cheaper, but the rosewood may have better bass response?

Thoughts?
    See my music at www.McMakinMusic.com

Default Re: Pono GOM, preferred wood combo?

Anyone have thoughts on the best wood choice for a guitar bodies octave mandolin?
    See my music at www.McMakinMusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tmcmakin View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on the best wood choice for a guitar bodies octave mandolin?
    Since you’re a singer songwriter the accompanying ax needs to have nice midrange and bass so I would suggest Mahogany

I have a Pono MND-30...rosewood and spruce and 23" scale. I once owned a Gold tone 800+. the difference in volume and tone are huge. I sold a Webber bouzouki with a 4" deep body to buy the Pono and I am not disappointed.
    I guess there is a cedar top Pono as well...not sure what the differences would be but I sure like mine.
    Pono Bn4-1/Bn8-1 4&8 string. lattice braced tenor guitars
    Republic Hwy49 resonator tenor guitar/Regal(Harmony) tenor guitar
    Kerry Char baritone uke/Heritage baritone uke
    Kamaka baritone uke/Martin baritone uke
    Primrose baritone uke/Kelali baritone uke
    Harmony baritone uke/Burke baritone uke
    Hoyt custom 10" baritone banjo/ukulele
    Ode/Hoyt custom 11" model 33, 19 fret tenor banjo

I have a Pono MND-20HC SB (21.5 inch scale, large body, mahogany & spruce with a sunburst finish) that plays, sounds, and looks great. I have an A and two F style OMs to compare, and like John Bange said: This does not disappoint.
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F