Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: impulse purchase - non-mando

Default impulse purchase - non-mando

Not sure why I did this but made a low-ball bid on Reverb and now I have a bass. I didn't consider how much space this contraption takes up. Anyway, ordered a beginners bluegrass bass book and we'll see how it goes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thompson_bass.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	769.7 KB 
ID:	189046  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

Default Re: impulse purchase - non-mando

It’s actually very intuitive, and, if you become proficient, you’ll get gigs when the world
    Re-opens. As a dabbler, it’s painfully boring to practice alone but great fun to play in a band setting. A really good bass player is like a really good drummer...they elevate your experience, without being really noticed...

Work it!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Looks nice, don't know much about uprights but wouldn't mind having one around the house
    Last edited by CBFrench; Oct-07-2020 at 9:58pm. Reason: spelling

Good call DaveGinNJ! I just did the same with a Mandobird that was on Reverb and now on its way to its new home!

I know, I know... It doesn't take the same space... but impulsive (sometimes compulsive?) buys are cool anyway!

Enjoy your new musical adventure!

Isaac

Good for you. I haven't played bass seriously in many years. Sometimes still miss not being able to play it anymore. You will become very popular once you get it going. Many bands need a good bass player.

Recently talked myself out of getting another acoustic guitar. There are a number of cool new models out there. But have my eye on something else. Maybe more later.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    It’s actually very intuitive, and, if you become proficient, you’ll get gigs when the world
    Re-opens. As a dabbler, it’s painfully boring to practice alone but great fun to play in a band setting. A really good bass player is like a really good drummer...they elevate your experience, without being really noticed...

Work it!
    When I told my wife I bought a new instrument she was mortified, thinking it was a banjo!

Joking aside, that was sort of my thinking. I am always the worst mandolin player at a jam but there seems to be a shortage of bass players. I think that has more to do with the cost and inconvenience of the instrument

1. Bass players always seem to be in demand.

2. Many of them claim to have taken up bass after being frustrated in learning a "lead" instrument. This, of course, doesn't apply to "lead" bassists.

3. "Impulse bought" mandolins, ukuleles, concertinas are easier to store than "impulse bought" basses, cellos, pianos, and Jet Skis. A consideration.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I miss having an upright bass. The biggest problem I have is that most listed online are not local and shipping is prohibitive. However, if I truly wanted one, the Upton Company is within a few hours drive from me. A few friends of mine own their basses and they are quite nice and reasonably priced.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I miss having an upright bass. The biggest problem I have is that most listed online are not local and shipping is prohibitive. However, if I truly wanted one, the Upton Company is within a few hours drive from me. A few friends of mine own their basses and they are quite nice and reasonably priced.
    I was fortunate that the seller was 35 minutes away. I would not have done the deal if shipping was involved. I can see that if I later decide to sell it, that will become an issue

I find practicing the bass to be anything but boring. Any time I want, I can play along with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Merle Haggard, Van Morrison, or (my current favorite) Byron Lee and the Dragonaires.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Blog Entries

Good luck, Dave. You will have a blast with that. It is just a huge, fretless, backwards mandolin. Keep us posted!
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by bradlaird View Post
    Good luck, Dave. You will have a blast with that. It is just a huge, fretless, backwards mandolin. Keep us posted!
    Brad
    I hope so. I ordered some fret markers to help me get started.

Blog Entries

Dave

Remember that once you have the open strings in tune that you can use an electronic tuner to verify the other positions... and stick your markers there.

I always suggest that you mark “frets” 2, 3, 5 and 7 and interpolate the others. And remove them one by one as your ear improves.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by bradlaird View Post
    Dave

Remember that once you have the open strings in tune that you can use an electronic tuner to verify the other positions... and stick your markers there.

I always suggest that you mark “frets” 2, 3, 5 and 7 and interpolate the others. And remove them one by one as your ear improves.

Brad
    Thanks. I found a couple of videos on the web that walk you through it. The one I liked, by Chris Talley, uses the same recommendation as you

Blog Entries

I will look for that. Again. Good luck. You’re gonna love it if you like making music from the back row. That’s where I am these days and it is good.

Always wanted an upright bass. Congratulations!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

As I also wanted to explore bass but have a space-challenged office/music room/man cave, I went the u-bass route. Really fun, and it for sure informs my mandolin playing. TuneFox (NFI) has been really helpful in providing bass lessons for popular BG songs. Have a great time!

Very timely thread. I also recently purchase an upright bass recently on impulse (a Shen SB88). It has been a blast learning to play it. I am taking Missy Raines' bluegrass bass course on ArtistWorks and it is a very good resource.

Congratulations!

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    ...they elevate your experience, without being really noticed...
    Few "hear" the bass, but everyone FEELS the bass.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    1. Bass players always seem to be in demand.

2. Many of them claim to have taken up bass after being frustrated in learning a "lead" instrument. This, of course, doesn't apply to "lead" bassists.

3. "Impulse bought" mandolins, ukuleles, concertinas are easier to store than "impulse bought" basses, cellos, pianos, and Jet Skis. A consideration.
    Bullet point two, I dispute. That is not my experience, nor the experience of any bassist I know or know of.

24. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Not sure why I did this but made a low-ball bid on Reverb and now I have a bass. I didn't consider how much space this contraption takes up. Anyway, ordered a beginners bluegrass bass book and we'll see how it goes
    Be careful. Double bass can hurt you. A live teacher is a good idea, but there are a few online resources that can help. Katie Thiroux has a beginner course on Discover Double Bass that I expect is good.

https://courses.discoverdoublebass.c...r-to-bandstand

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Bullet point two, I dispute. That is not my experience, nor the experience of any bassist I know or know of.
    Quoting from the OP, Post #6:

I am always the worst mandolin player at a jam but there seems to be a shortage of bass players.
    I have known several bass players who have said they took to bass because they felt overshadowed by better players on "lead" instruments in jams, but noticed that bassists were essential to a good ensemble sound, always welcome -- and they found playing single notes at reasonable tempo, more accessible than trying to move at high speed through chords and melodic "breaks."

I'm at best a mediocre bass player (not saying I'm a virtuoso on the other instruments I play), but I enjoy playing in country dance ensembles, backing up fiddlers, etc. In the past two years I've been requested several times by fiddlers to join them in concert or dance situations, and my limited bass skills were adequate to the gigs. I've taken my mando-bass to rehearsals of our local mandolin ensemble, and while I would be severely taxed to sight-read the orchestral scores the lead players work from, I can figure out bass lines that support their parts.

This is not "dissing" bassists; I know players who consider bass their main instrument, and bring wonderful "chops" to their performances, jams etc. I know others who, I think do have the history I stated: they love the music, don't feel they can "compete" (and why should we compete?) with more accomplished "lead" players, and have found a comfortable and appreciated role playing bass.

YMMV, of course.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Quoting from the OP, Post #6:

I have known several bass players who have said they took to bass because they felt overshadowed by better players on "lead" instruments in jams, but noticed that bassists were essential to a good ensemble sound, always welcome -- and they found playing single notes at reasonable tempo, more accessible than trying to move at high speed through chords and melodic "breaks."

I'm at best a mediocre bass player (not saying I'm a virtuoso on the other instruments I play), but I enjoy playing in country dance ensembles, backing up fiddlers, etc. In the past two years I've been requested several times by fiddlers to join them in concert or dance situations, and my limited bass skills were adequate to the gigs. I've taken my mando-bass to rehearsals of our local mandolin ensemble, and while I would be severely taxed to sight-read the orchestral scores the lead players work from, I can figure out bass lines that support their parts.

This is not "dissing" bassists; I know players who consider bass their main instrument, and bring wonderful "chops" to their performances, jams etc. I know others who, I think do have the history I stated: they love the music, don't feel they can "compete" (and why should we compete?) with more accomplished "lead" players, and have found a comfortable and appreciated role playing bass.

YMMV, of course.
    I think that might be more true if your main exposure to bass players is in bluegrass, where the role is limited. In other styles, jazz especially, bass is if anything often the most difficult instrument of the ensemble to play.

28. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Yes, jazz bass is indeed a whole different animal than in BG or oldtime. A great jazz bassist is a wondrous thing to behold. And that is not to disparage BG or oldtime bass playing. A real pro at either is a delight to play with. And it can be argued that good bass playing is more essential to a cohesive group sound than any other instrument - a misstep by a lead player is easy to overlook if the bass is steady.
    Mitch Russell

Don’t forget the bow!