Thread: Runaway/Texas fiddle tune set

Default Runaway/Texas fiddle tune set

Learning these two tunes I first heard from an erynn Marshall recording. Can someone here point me to the composer of Runaway? Contact info would help immensely.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Default Re: Runaway/Texas fiddle tune set

If you find out, can you let us know? It turns out I bought that album digitally, so no liner notes. It is a great tune, and works quite well with the Henry Reed "Texas."

You might have to contact Erynn, and ask her. By the way, listened to your version of Winderslide last week, to freshen up my memory. Still like it!

3. The following members say thank you to A 4 for this post:

Aah Winderslide. That was so much fun pairing a mandolin with a tuba.

I messaged Erynn. She told me she composed it as an exercise for the fiddle tuning EEAE, and explicitly to pair with Texas (sometimes called Newcastle). I thought of trying that tuning, but stopped after tuning down the G strings to E, because of all the weird physical stresses that were being unleashed.

Anyway, it’s not a difficult tune to learn on mandolin in standard tuning. However, when I introduced it to my band, my banjo player asked me to transpose it down to D, mostly because we play no other tunes in E, and this particular tune was demanding her to invent some stretched finger chords, one of which sounded to my ears like an E9th.

Now that we started playing it in D, I believe our fiddle player uses a tuning of ADAD.

For my own mandolin part, I’ve added some double stops and a tremolo that seem to do just fine at accentuating those powerful drones. The tune has also got me thinking about producing another CD of quasi-oldtime. If so, I do hope to add this tune to the line up.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Oddly, that tuba part of Winderslide was by far the easiest for me to learn the melody from. It was a big help.

Texas (https://www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000134/) is A modal, so if you play the combination you modulate from D to A? When I see EEAE tuning, which I never have seen before, I would have guessed that meant the tune is played in A also. However, I have never tried to learn Runaway.

Texas, though, is on my list!