Thread: Help..problem with strap and looking for ideas.

Default Help..problem with strap and looking for ideas.

I had an experience a while back that was pretty devastating. I Had my Red Diamond F style on my shoulder and bent over to pick up something on the desk. As I did so the headstock pointed downward and the strap came off the endpin sending the mandolin crashing to the floor. After I was revived from the shock of it all I found a broken headstock scroll and a few scratches on the top. It is repaired and the damage is barely visible, but I live in constant fear of it happening again. I am looking for ideas about how others have solved the problem of stretching that occurs over time enlarging the hole in the strap. Hate to keep buying new straps.

Smile Re: Help..problem with strap and looking for ideas.

People have offered back up options for the not relying on the tapered end button ..

(& your strap hole issue) like tying a loop of boot lace leather around the tail piece,

and adding a small hole in your strap to put the boot lace through and tying a knot in it,
    to not pull back through..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Help..problem with strap and looking for ideas.

Hi Wayne:

Almost the same exact thing happened to me, so I know how you feel. There are many solutions out there but the cheapest and secure system that I found was the D'addario strap lock.

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Acce...PTEYE9PQQ8XN7A

Not fancy but does the job and the price is right.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucas For This Useful Post:

Check out Bailey straps. The connection points on my strap for my A style Collings has a leather cord with a leather slide that you can tighten or loosen to secure or remove from your strap buttons. They are very well made and quite attractive. http://thebaileystrap.com/

Assuming the endpin isn’t going to pop out, you can buy the d’Addario gismos as Lucas suggests but there is a far more enjoyable solution - Grolsch bottle stopper washers; i.e. you drink the beer, you stretch the washer over the endpin.

Unfortunately, in the UK, I’ve found it impossible to source Grolsch in bottles - it seems to come in cans nowadays - but if you can find a home brewing shop, they’re likely to stock the washers. The only problem with the ones I sourced is that they’re red!

I make the strap hole tight, I make my own. And I double it back a put a second piece of the strap over the end pin. Been this way for many years, and lots of gigs. Hasn't loosened up yet.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I use a rawhide boot lace with a hangman noose on each end, very close to the endpin, I tie a piece of dental floss around the noose, keeps the rawhide noose tight to the endpin.
    For your enlarged strap hole, I recall someone mention using the plastic bread tie attached to the endpin.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

No helpful advice here, but I nearly lost my dinner just now reading about your Red Diamond mishap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    Check out Bailey straps. The connection points on my strap for my A style Collings has a leather cord with a leather slide that you can tighten or loosen to secure or remove from your strap buttons. They are very well made and quite attractive. http://thebaileystrap.com/
    #1 for Bailey straps!

In contrast to the OP's problem is when the end pin pops out of the mandolin at an inopportune time, rather than the strap popping off of the endpin. Strap-Locs or Grolsch washer would have ended up being no help for him, but they can be useful if slipping off of the endpin is a problem. I agree with the suggestion to tie a length of leather bootlace to the end of your strap and secure it to the tail piece. I braid my own straps and have always secured them to both the end pin and the tail piece for that extra sense of security. Like using suspenders and a belt, it prevents both potential mishaps.

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

13. The following members say thank you to poul hansen for this post:

The Hans Brentrup method is my favorite and in my mind a simple and elegant answer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hans_strap.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	189303  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the ideas. I knew there were several possibilities but was not sure what worked and what didn't. The best solution probably will depend on each mandolin and strap variations. I will experiment with some of these ideas and let you know what I end up using.

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post
    £4.55 + £8.00 shipping to the UK! Apare from the “Fender” logo, swing top bottle washers are identical. The shop I bought mine from has them in stock for £0.20 each and a packet of 10 wouldn’t cost 10 times that much.

I use a Grolsch beer rubber washer. It fits on the end pin and works great and you get to drink the beer!

There are also the little plastic tabs used to seal bread wrappers. Free, and fairly effective. Perhaps less esthetically pleasing than some of the alternatives mentioned above.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    There are also the little plastic tabs used to seal bread wrappers. Free, and fairly effective. Perhaps less esthetically pleasing than some of the alternatives mentioned above.
    More aesthetically pleasing than a broken headstock, for sure!

21. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

Similar the the Fender washer is a rubber or neoprene washer from Ace (where you can buy one). they don't look that great but surprising how well the lock on to the end pin. I am sure that someone could come up with a leather alternative. Also I have two straps that have a separate piece about the size of a leather bootlace woven into the strap. so you have the wider normal strap that goes on the end pin, then there is the separate bootlace that goes around the tailpiece. I would not want to trust it all the time but would have prevented what happened to you.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware...vZc276Z1z114to