Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the Small Dog

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default the Small Dog

Amazing they never. . . and I mean never come up for re-sale!

Is there another company making various case covers?

Small dogs for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE730863-73FD-4F47-AAE0-52238F056A58_1_201_a.jpeg 
Views:	140 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	189070

Love my Small Dog case cover. Love my other small dogs too!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Default Re: the Small Dog

Betty Vornbrock/Autumn Wind on Facebook makes custom case covers. I have one for my oblong mandola case. I don't know of other companies. Years ago I got a violin case cover from Mooradian but I just searched and they are also out of business.

I think I have three Small Dog case covers I bought used on the Cafe, two for TKL Amodel cases and one for a vintage Amodel which I use for my Lyon & Healy A. I sometimes switch them around if I want to take a different mandolin out.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Sounds like a biz opportunity to sell tens of them yearly. I'd buy one or two

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Betty Vornbrock/Autumn Wind on Facebook makes custom case covers. I have one for my oblong mandola case. I don't know of other companies. Years ago I got a violin case cover from Mooradian but I just searched and they are also out of business.

I think I have three Small Dog case covers I bought used on the Cafe, two for TKL Amodel cases and one for a vintage Amodel which I use for my Lyon & Healy A. I sometimes switch them around if I want to take a different mandolin out.
    I see she's in Virginia and sent her a note on f/b. I'd want one for my 1930 Gibson L-1 guitar.

Thanks!

f-d

Was just thinking about that. I've had one forever for my old Canadian-made Calton mando case. Still working great. It unfortunately just doesn't quite fit around a new Calton case. Hoffee makes one for their mando cases. Maybe they would do a custom order.

Z
    Member since 2003!

8. The following members say thank you to mingusb1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mingusb1 View Post
    Was just thinking about that. I've had one forever for my old Canadian-made Calton mando case. Still working great. It unfortunately just doesn't quite fit around a new Calton case. Hoffee makes one for their mando cases. Maybe they would do a custom order.

Z
    If only I had a pattern and my Mom was still with us! I have a nostalgic longing to learn to sew. There's a retirement challenge, just need to retire!

Thanks.

f-d

I have a couple Small Dog case covers. They are protecting my gorgeous Daffodil Pegasus F-style case and screamin' Tangerine
    Pegasus A-style case.
    A good case deserves a cover. Those 25 year old cases look new. (I am red/green color-blind;but,I know what I like.)

Darn sweet lookin small dogs you got there,fatt!

I also use double tennis racket covers for mandolin case covers. Dunlop!

If I knew how to sew I think I'd like to make quilts. Just take a pile of scrap material and get creative!

There's an idea. Quilted case covers!

You're welcome.

11. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    If only I had a pattern and my Mom was still with us! I have a nostalgic longing to learn to sew. There's a retirement challenge, just need to retire!

Thanks.

f-d
    I’m reasonably sure that an auto or boat interior shop could whip that out in a heartbeat. Take them the case and they’ll make you a pattern, you pick the material from their samples. There’s really no complexity to it, it’s three pieces and a zipper, very straightforward.

13. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Blog Entries

Was it the small dog covers that had an insulating property to prevent overheating in sun?

15. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Mark,
    That was an option. I've had it on a couple of Small Dogs including one for a rectangular mando case. (Available.)
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

17. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

I think Small Dog covers are great and wish they were still around. I know that Caseadillo makes covers for Calton and Hoffee guitar cases, and I thought I read somewhere they were coming out with covers for mandolin cases: https://caseadillo.com/

Alan

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acinva For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The Northfield covers are pretty nice and work well if one can't find a used Dog.

21. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    The Northfield covers are pretty nice and work well if one can't find a used Dog.
    Beat me to it!
    Chuck

23. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Thanks to all! I bought only one of them, back when Colorado Case was in business. I got the one for my old Gibson A3. It's the insulated one too and I like that!

Meanwhile, I still have the one for my mandolin and the other two to feed! My sweet little Havis!

f-d

Blog Entries

I was lucky as I contacted Small Dog awhile back "they had an add in the Café classifieds" and they were going out of business so they had some stock left so I was able to get 5 covers for Pag+Loar style cases at really great prices. I guess they are their standard covers with the wooly interior. I didn't have enough cash to get them all or I would've so I could've passed them out to the great Café folks here at cost! But they sure didn't have many left to choose from at the time. I think their covers were the best in design and durable as I've used one for 20 years on one case. Many gigs, fests, practices etc..

I'm sure the Northfield covers protect well but their not as thick lined as the SDogs and their accessory pocket is a bad design! Not like the full length pocket of the rectangular SDog's covers, its just too small. In the SDog's one can fit, extra strings, tools, song/set lists, freshy socks, also an extra T, maybe a sandwich or two-the possibilities are endless! They really had a great product IMHO on the Loar style covers, never had one for say a shaped case, guitar etc..but I bet they were designed just as well?

26. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Strange, but I can't seem to find the Northfield covers on their site. Anyone have a link?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

fatt,always wanted a white A3 like yours. Any pics of your Gibson L-1? You have some very cool instruments.

I bet Dr.Cohen's redwood/walnut A5 sounds sweet! I remember talking mandology with him at CoMando Gatherings.

My F-style Small Dog cover is black on top and grey on bottom. I spilled something on it(moonshine?)and bleached out a
    big spot on the grey part where the pocket is. It's tri-colored now.
    But it is going on three decades old and still quite functional and wooly inside.

The A-style one is all black. It's a few years newer and looks it; much less travelled.

My favorite small dog is a red brindle, long-haired Dachshund named Sadie. She was my Mom's faithful companion. We both miss her so.

Small Dogs RULE!

29. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Strange, but I can't seem to find the Northfield covers on their site. Anyone have a link?
    Hey Jim, I can't get the link but just checked and just click on Northfield Store on their homepage and scroll down, they are there for 80 bucks! They work well, they just don't come with a shoulder strap.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    fatt,always wanted a white A3 like yours. Any pics of your Gibson L-1? You have some very cool instruments.

I bet Dr.Cohen's redwood/walnut A5 sounds sweet! I remember talking mandology with him at CoMando Gatherings.

My F-style Small Dog cover is black on top and grey on bottom. I spilled something on it(moonshine?)and bleached out a
    big spot on the grey part where the pocket is. It's tri-colored now.
    But it is going on three decades old and still quite functional and wooly inside.

The A-style one is all black. It's a few years newer and looks it; much less travelled.

My favorite small dog is a red brindle, long-haired Dachshund named Sadie. She was my Mom's faithful companion. We both miss her so.

Small Dogs RULE!
    We are new to small dogs. Through a spit of magic we ended up adopting two Havanese during Covid. The first one in April and the second one in August. Female first and male second. Figured that in 10 years, we'd both be in our 70s and carrying a 40 pounder to the vet could be an issue. These little clown dogs are just too funny!

I just love my L-1 too! My father in law knew my interest in instruments and just carried it to our house 30 years ago (pre-internet). I had no idea what it was when I got it. Just a guitar that I would carry to hay rides and camp outs. The internet got me dialed in and I begin to understand it's value. Folks that know tell me it's 1930. Folks that know also tell me it was up-styled in the later 30s - hence the firestripe pick guard, etc. (perhaps the burst?). Weighing in at just under 3 pounds and wearing an original Bulls Head case!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7ACF96B4-D292-455E-9B95-9F6E611AFA35_1_201_a.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	189141

f-d

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Northfield's makes a case cover for their rectangular Airloom case which is intended only for that sole purpose. Currently sold out but listed in their store. The subject of Colorado Case Company comes up every so often and I can assure everyone they will not rise from the ashes. The machinery has all been resold to different buyers and the patterns, a big chunk of the business value, seemingly gone as well. Here's that story as told by one of their contractors that appeared on this Forum a few years ago.

34. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Just heard back from Betty Vornbrock/Autumn Wind. I think I'm heading in the right direction - thanks Jim! Unrelated, she's an old-time fiddler and knows the folks I know. I'm thinking good thoughts!

f-d

36. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Maybe I could crochet some?

Quote Originally Posted by acinva View Post
    I think Small Dog covers are great and wish they were still around. I know that Caseadillo makes covers for Calton and Hoffee guitar cases, and I thought I read somewhere they were coming out with covers for mandolin cases: https://caseadillo.com/

Alan
    Wow! Over $300 for a case cover over a $600+ case! Cost more than some folks’ mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

39. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Hey Jim, I can't get the link but just checked and just click on Northfield Store on their homepage and scroll down, they are there for 80 bucks! They work well, they just don't come with a shoulder strap.
    Oh, I see them and they list them on this page but it seems only for their Deluxe rectangular cases not for the Recurve. And they don't sell shaped ones. You would think that TKL or one of those bigger companies would offer such a thing but it is probably not worth their while either.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Betty makes great cases. I bought one for my wife's hand built guitar fifteen years ago and it has held up well in our travels all around the country.

42. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post: