Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A-strings constantly going out of tune

Default Re: A-strings constantly going out of tune

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Yes. I find I especially have to do this with the E strings, though it applies to all. When I've left the instrument overnight or longer, the strings tend to grip the nut slots more stubbornly. I often find a turn of the tuner to slacken the string results in a little "click" sound. That sound is the string where it was lodged tight in the nut slot suddenly releasing. Because I'm reducing the tension, no harm results. Once released, the string will slide in the slot as I tune it back up.
    That sound is the sound of the string sticking in the nut because the slot is too tight.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    That sound is the sound of the string sticking in the nut because the slot is too tight.
    Depends. In my case it mostly happens with instruments which are otherwisec well-behaved, but need extra care when they've not been picked up and played for a while.

Hope I'm not too late to the party. Grab your nut slot files and cut the A string slots just the next bit wider. It "sounds" like the slots were cut for a lighter gauge string than you have on. Also, get some sandpaper and a sanding block and sand down the top of the nut to eliminate the "Grand Canyon." Ideally the tops of the strings should protrude just a bit above the nut.

Hope this helps!

Rob

4. The following members say thank you to Rob Meldrum for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Depends. In my case it mostly happens with instruments which are otherwisec well-behaved, but need extra care when they've not been picked up and played for a while.
    Yup, I have found that when something sits for a while without the string being tuned you occasionally get that.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

So I got the powdered teflon, loosened up the A strings on my Morris, moved them aside, and put some in. I have to say, I have had no more problems with the A strings. Here's what I used: LaBelle 3-134: "the slickest substance known to man." Paid less than 8 bucks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201103_075852.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	695.7 KB 
ID:	189624

I still have the "Grand Canyon" effect though. I'm going up to the Wildwood Flower on another errand soon, so Jake will have a look at it. I'm pretty confident I could modify it myself, but it will be alot less painful and time consuming to have a pro address it. Especially with a brandy new mandolin.

7. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

I had my mandolin in for fret dressing. I even supplied the strings. When I got it back, while tuning E string broke. hmmm. Put new one on and while tuning other E string broke. I replaced and havent had problem but "A" would keep going out of tune...getting sharp and it didnt tune down smoothly. I figured something in nut catching when pressing down on string causing it to stay sharp. I changed strings and used some graphite and it seems to be good. Never had issue before. Maybe he actually didnt use strings I supplied.. or stuff happens.

I have that problem with all strings ! Think it's my playing ?