Thread: Goldfinger's 1920s Mandolin Surfaces in Florida

Default Goldfinger's 1920s Mandolin Surfaces in Florida

This old flat top looks to be a 1920s Harmony made instrument- most likely for a mail order firm such as Sears, Roebuck. This one really has the glitz. Sadly, the board, which is cracked is probably ebonized maple or poplar. The finish which looks like rosewood is most likely faux but I cannot be sure. The instrument looks a bit desiccated, with rust on the frets but it is quite an eyeful- what with the guardplate- which may be broken, and the rest of the ornamentation. There was a time when I would go for it but I am better able to resist this sort of temptation and I am playing long scale mandolins now and don't want to be backsliding to lower string tension etc! It might be a player of sorts but it is not fully strung up, so that would be the acid test.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Tra...122e%7Ciid%3A1

Default Re: Goldfinger's 1920s Mandolin Surfaces in Florida

$100 starting bid and the neck is either warped or needs a reset. No, thanks. All that glitters is not gold...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	189168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-7.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	189172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	189169  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-4.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	189170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	189171  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: Goldfinger's 1920s Mandolin Surfaces in Florida

Yes, Jim, that neck may even have a bit of a twist to it and it is not even strung up but it really is one of the blingiest flat tops I have seen in quite a while! If it was $50 it would be worth it for the tailpiece cover- they have been going for very high prices of late. If the mandolin was okay- and it probably is not then you might get a bonus mandolin for the price of the tailpiece which I have done on three occasions! I bought a job lot of stuff last week- tuners, bridge, tailpiece and a pickguard I had been looking for for three years for such a pickguard, so I now also have all the tailpieces I need. I don't suppose I will stop looking as it is now a habit and I see wonders like this as I search!