Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campanella, Red Diamond, Northfield, Collings experience

Default Re: Campanella, Red Diamond, Northfield, Collings experience

"your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

2. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I have owned an MT and an MT2, beautifully made but didn't bond with them. Sold them eventually. Bought a Pava in 2014 and really liked it until last year I came across an MT2 (nitro) with Italian top and Birdseye back and sides. Wonderful chime and presence from the get go. Now a year later with quite a bit of time tweaking the setup and finding the right pick this mando absolutely soars! I found that an absolutely straight neck with medium string height brought out the singing bird. I also use a 1.5 mm Dunlop delrin purple pick. If you try this pick you must remove the tiny burr that is all along the picking edge. Then you need to polish the edge with a buffing wheel or very fine sandpaper (like 1200 grit) and I slightly reduce the radius of the normal picking edge. I own some nice guitars and the Pava but this may be the only instrument I ever play again. I never thought that I would say that!

4. The following members say thank you to BlueNote for this post:

What a beauty! Congrats!!

I did the same thing recently and went into Gryphon Strings thinking I'd walk out with an MF5V or Northfield they had, but once I tried them all, I was actually really into the MF Deluxe. More amazingly, they had 3 of them and when I strummed the one I bought, I knew it immediately. It was weird and magical, but very distinct to my ears.

It's a fun hunt! Enjoy!!
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

6. The following members say thank you to withfoam for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by withfoam View Post
    What a beauty! Congrats!!

I did the same thing recently and went into Gryphon Strings thinking I'd walk out with an MF5V or Northfield they had, but once I tried them all, I was actually really into the MF Deluxe. More amazingly, they had 3 of them and when I strummed the one I bought, I knew it immediately. It was weird and magical, but very distinct to my ears.
    It's a fun hunt! Enjoy!!
    Yes, that's precisely it!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    The back is made from wood Bill bought on a trip to Italy. I believe it was set aside by the wood reseller as wood for violins. Collings had a limited number of sets. Somewhere there is a gorgeous F5 that was made for NAMM and sold by TME that has a similar back.

People believe that all MT2 or MT2vs are similar. NOT!
    I love this MT2-V more every day. It brings me absolute pleasure to play it. My two other mandolins are now too much neglected. I am curious if anyone has ANY clue as to the whereabouts of the MF5-V that Mary says wad made of the same wood? Thank you for any clues!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)