Thread: 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

Blog Entries

Default 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

OMG. He is getting all of my money!

4. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Very cool. Has anyone been able to determine if a "ticket" enables you to watch the stream after it airs -- or can you only watch it "live" in real-time? I have kids, and the chance of me being able to watch a livestream uninterrupted on a Sunday afternoon is pretty much zero.

6. The following members say thank you to Miltown for this post:

I've looked all over the site and don't see anything about "Video on demand". Their help section is a bit weak, so I sent an email. I'd love to watch this but Sundays are always busy for me and a VOD would be perfect.

Edit: Their email replay also said it's available for 30 days.
    Last edited by Honeybucket; Oct-16-2020 at 2:30pm.

Chris replied on his Instagram that each class would be archived for 30 days after.

Thanks MC for the heads up, I am excited for it!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Yes, yes, yes!!! A "shut up and take my money" situation for me. I'm in!!! Can't go for the VIP option, though. I'm currently taking classes from Dominick Leslie and I just bought my first electric mando, a 2006 4 string Mandobird, which hasn't arrived yet. This mando world will make me broke... But, oh, the joy it brings!!!

Purchased Series Pass. Can't wait.

I'm definitely in! Huge fan and have been hoping against hope for a long time that he would do some form of online instruction/master class.

That said, my impression is that none of this will be mandolin specific content. I'm completely fine with that and dig the subject matter he appears to be focusing on, but I kind of get the impression that some folks (social media comments primarily) are expecting mandolin instructional content.

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    That said, my impression is that none of this will be mandolin specific content. I'm completely fine with that and dig the subject matter he appears to be focusing on, but I kind of get the impression that some folks (social media comments primarily) are expecting mandolin instructional content.
    I think you're right. "Listening, writing and performing". These are the classes. It's going to be about music. And I'm sure it'll be great!

There’s no information about the length of each event, nor explanation (beyond the title) about the content.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I'm in ...
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

By the time I bought my series ticket the VIP was sold out. This sounds like a blast:

Livestream Ticket + VIP Experience
    Entry to the event
    Join Chris after his masterclass while he makes a cocktail and chats (even more) about music!

I'm sure there are cafe members who didn't dilly-dally like me and managed to snap up the VIP slots. Can't wait to hear about it.

17. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Ha! Even better, of the three Sundays at 2:00 only one conflicts with the Patriots schedule!

I was able to get a spot in the 3-day VIP package. I guess it sold out rather quickly. Surprise, surprise! ☺️ Sounds like he could offer more events like this.

20. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    There’s no information about the length of each event, nor explanation (beyond the title) about the content.
    The itinerary that I received says the classes start at 11am and the "After Class Chat with Cocktails" starts at 12:30pm. These same times are listed for all three days.

I am in the Mountain time zone, so EST would be 2pm and 3:30pm. respectively.

22. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

It's an online streaming event.

Why limit the number of tickets?
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    It's an online streaming event.

Why limit the number of tickets?
    I imagine the after presentation event will allow discussion/questions so that's why the tickets are limited.

Personally I find it a both disappointing and insulting to have absolutely NO description of content. Yes he is Chris Thile but we are a community of supportive mandolin players who are also people. I guess this is American idol!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry Canada For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    Personally I find it a both disappointing and insulting to have absolutely NO description of content. Yes he is Chris Thile but we are a community of supportive mandolin players who are also people. I guess this is American idol!
    Agree Barry, I’m sure it will be good but I’m going to wait for the reviews before I sign up...I’ve spent too many hours in wks that either go off-topic or it’s all about picks and strings.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

It's not about mandolin, if that helps. Based on the press release, I expect more "philosophical" content.

"Music is Life is Music is a three-part look under the hood of my music-making process,” said Thile via press release. “I’ve been informed by the processes of so many great musicians, and I can’t wait to share all that with fellow music lovers and makers.”

“We start by listening to the music of the world around us,” he continued. “As Steve Earle once told me, ‘Don’t put earbuds in on the subway, you’ll miss all the songs!’ Then, we’ll take a look at various ways to integrate the music of the outside world with the music of our inside world. If everything you hear is blue, and everything you think about it is yellow, the shade of green that results is something that no one has ever heard before. Then, we’ll finish up with a boatload of thoughts on performance so we can better communicate our unique shades of green to each other. I’m doing this because the world needs a vibrant and dynamic musical ecosystem. I can’t wait to hear what you all create.”

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bradeasley For This Useful Post:

Thanks Bradeasley!
    Here is the reference link for all of you with more information about the event. Certainly this will be helpful.
    https://www.nonesuch.com/journal/chr...sic-2020-10-16

31. The following members say thank you to Barry Canada for this post:

Ranald 

Tempted, but... Thile is obviously a genius musician, but from the interviews I've seen and read, he frequently seems to sail off into rather "out there" explanations for things. I don't hold that against him because I sometimes wonder, if I was operating at such an unparallelled level of skill and musical awareness, would I be able to actually explain that effectively in concrete terms that a bunch of comparative hacks could understand? I'm not sure I could. I'm sure I'll buy a ticket and watch, because at the end of the day I am a sucker for listening to great musicians talk about their craft, but my expectations for getting much out of this that I can personally use will be tempered.

33. The following members say thank you to Alex Orr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    I sometimes wonder, if I was operating at such an unparallelled level of skill and musical awareness, would I be able to actually explain that effectively in concrete terms that a bunch of comparative hacks could understand? ... at the end of the day I am a sucker for listening to great musicians talk about their craft, but my expectations for getting much out of this that I can personally use will be tempered.
    That's why the sets of great musicians and great music teachers overlap in the Venn Diagram. I'm sure that plenty of us have taken disappointing workshops from phenomenal musicians who can play, but can't explain, and phenomenal workshops from great musicians who aren't the best of the best.

In an age when you can slow YouTube videos down to 1/4-speed, it is way easier for musicians to pick off each other's licks without additional instruction. So, I signed up because I, too, "am a sucker for listening to great musicians talk about their craft." I'm hoping to learn more about how to learn. Even if I don't touch a mandolin during the workshop, I'll be happy if I gain insights into how to listen to music more richly, and how to translate those into my own playing.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

35. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Anyone else having trouble with buffering while watching the archived show? The live stream was a disaster and now the archive is not much better here. Contacted their tech support, but nothing other than an automated response. Very frustrating.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

The live stream was a disaster indeed, but no problem with buffering the archived show.

38. The following members say thank you to FPhil for this post: