Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

Default Re: 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

I didn't get to catch it live and it sounds like I didn't miss out too much. I got an email from them that said they would have it fixed for next time.
    The internet is a tricky thing sometimes. Took us 3 weeks to convince Spectrum we already had the cable in the ground we needed before they finally found it.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Seems to be working now. Bad rural internet I guess.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I actually felt a little embarrassed for them. It seemed the people running his live stream didn't have a lot of experience. I may be wrong. Best made plans, and all that.

A bit of interruption can be okay when you are just doing something as a freebie, but when folks are paying for it you have to draw the line at some point.

The audio was fairly consistent so I just listened while I put together my lesson plans for this week's classes.

The after show was better. No buffering, but there were only 30 people in the call. It was also on Zoom which can handle a crowd...usually.

All in all, crappy live-stream aside, it was nice getting to hear him do some play/analysis and pontificate on the methods of his madness.

I am hoping the production crew are much better prepared for the next two events.
    Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; Oct-26-2020 at 3:17pm.

It’s a start-up. They were looking for tech people last I saw
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

The good news is that the quality of the audio and the video were really good. I watched the class on a MacBook Pro without earbuds/headphones.

The bad news is the class began 20 minutes late, and for quite a while, there was a steady stream in the chat of people wondering, like I was, what was going on. Then, for the first hour of the class, the video was generally several seconds ahead of the audio, which was incredibly frustrating. Maybe that was supposed to help with the listening, since I had a sense of what Thile was going to be saying or playing in advance. I hope not. I briefly tried treating it as a podcast, looking away from the screen, but Thile is so visually expressive when he talks that I knew I was missing out with that approach.

The other good news is that Thile offered a lot of useful insight and perspective that even we mere musical mortals can use. I'm glad that I know a bit of music theory, because he took a couple of dives into that. As expected, he occasionally digressed, but not long enough at any time to bother me --- except for the enthusiastic cocktail narrative.

Bottom line: I'm glad I'm taking the course, and I'm looking forward to the next two sessions. However, I'll admit to anticipating far less patience with technical glitches, should they arise.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I gave up watching the video about 10 minutes in and worked on my family tree while it ran in the background. Looking forward to watching the archived video, but it was too distracting to try to follow it with the synching problems. I'm sure they'll have it fixed by Sunday.

His techies did not even meet the standard for bush league support. I will try the archived version later today but the live stream was a disaster. This all should have been tested days earlier. As far as I am concerned, Thile did not give his audience the respect that they deserved when he hired these yahoos. Minus one for Thile in my book.

It's a bad time for me to watch sign up for something on a schedule - but with the 30 day archiving, I think I'll sign up and watch 'on demand'. Can't wait to hear more about the content.

BTW In THIS STORY from last week, Fox News credits Thile with co-writing the song, Bury Me Beneath the Willow!

"The country music legend sang “Bury Me Beneath the Willows” by Michael Daves and Chris Thile, which Parton, 74, explained to Colbert, 56, was a song her mother used to always sing when she was younger."

Not only a talented song writer ;-), but Thile must be much older than he looks if Parton's mother sang the song to her as a child! the dangers of a quick google search when a journalist doesn't know much about trad music.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

9. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Please add “Time Travel” to Chris Thile’s resume

What did folks make of the content? I missed the first class but might drop in the others.

As it turns out, I was 19 minutes late and still was early for the event. Also, I couldn't really watch it, so I listened to it first, then watched the video later. Same as Marcus, I'm not interested in mixology, but his musical vocabulary is sooo big and sooo rich and full. Listening to him play and talk about listening the way he did was really cool. I'm looking forward to the other two - rare windows into his genius.

TS
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dčan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Toycona View Post
    Same as Marcus, I'm not interested in mixology, but his musical vocabulary is sooo big and sooo rich and full. Listening to him play and talk about listening the way he did was really cool. I'm looking forward to the other two - rare windows into his genius.

TS
    I've been a rather obsessive cocktail geek for about a decade now, so I'm actually pretty pissed I missed Chris digress at length on mixology

Well, Alex, the thing that stuck out in my mind was that you have to start with glass-size ice cubes that you make with filtered water in a muffin pan or something similar in the freezer. Or a banana bread pan and you hack it down to the right size. I'll look back and get you the drink details, but get those ice cubes made right so you're ready.

Edit: Found it: he said he likes to listen in the evening after everyone has gone to bed with a Negroni, equal parts gin, Campari, and vermouth, add an orange twist getting the oil from the orange in there, stir (with his finger since no one is around) in the glass with the glass-size ice cubes. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Don Grieser; Oct-28-2020 at 4:41pm.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Thile made me my first Negroni. I have to say, watching him wield that ice pick made me a little nervous!

It was a good drink. And not my last. :-)
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Well, Alex, the thing that stuck out in my mind was that you have to start with glass-size ice cubes that you make with filtered water in a muffin pan or something similar in the freezer. Or a banana bread pan and you hack it down to the right size. I'll look back and get you the drink details, but get those ice cubes made right so you're ready.

Edit: Found it: he said he likes to listen in the evening after everyone has gone to bed with a Negroni, equal parts gin, Campari, and vermouth, add an orange twist getting the oil from the orange in there, stir (with his finger since no one is around) in the glass with the glass-size ice cubes. Enjoy.
    My beer fridge freezer always has large ice cubes, though I'm actually partial to ice spheres made in Tovolo molds. Why not...it's fancy and I'm making them for my own pleasure I've gone down the clear ice rabbit hole in the past (distilled, double-boiled, an attempt at directional freezing) but never could get them perfectly clear, so just gave up. Given Thile's OCD tendencies I can only imagine that he did not give up chasing the clear ice dragon as easily I did I do love a Negroni. It was basically my gateway to enjoying bitterness in a drink, and as such led to dozens of bottles of amari sitting on my home bar. One of the more divisive issues in an otherwise quite simple drink is whether to build in the glass or give a slight mix over ice first (stir for about 15 seconds). Sounds like Thile is a build-in-the-glass kind of guy, while I'm in the latter category because I think it makes the first sip gentlerm more balanced, and more enjoyable. I suppose there is some debate on lemon twist versus orange as well, but I can't imagine a Negroni without orange oils and the aroma of a fresh orange twist in the glass. Cheers!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Orr For This Useful Post:

So did anyone else watch the archived version of the second class from today? It was a bit frustrating and I ended up giving up after a few times of the audio just cutting out, etc. Maybe it was an issue on my end but I don't think so as we have good internet here at home.

Hmm, the live version was great. We have fiber which didn’t help much last week but this week was about as good as we can get.

I had trouble with the first archived show buffering all the time. Tech support told me to click on the auto button at the bottom and use a lower resolution stream. That worked for me for the livestream yesterday, but it didn't help with the archived show. Might be worth a try.

Alex, he made an unconventional Manhattan right on camera yesterday. Details to come.

Thanks, Peter! I’ll give it another run today.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Don!