Thread: Autumn is for playing mandolin.

Default Autumn is for playing mandolin.

I tried but mandolin never really became my primary instrument. I'm a guitar player at heart; I can never get too far away from singing songs with my acoustic guitar. But I still love my mandolin.

There is something about Autumn - the changing colors (I even want to spell is colours for some reason this time of year), the falling leaves, the cooling of the weather (even in Texas), the golden sunsets, and the general earthiness of the season - that calls for the mandolin.

Today I feel the strong pull of O'Carolan and the urge to coax ancient sounds out of my mandolin, to try and reconnect with something or resurrect something from another time. It just goes with the season in some mysterious way, for Autumn is a season full of memory.

Does anyone else experience seasonal musical changes?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Autumn is for playing mandolin.

Yep.

By the way, Caleb, have you tried your hand much at working up some solo vocal numbers with mandolin accompaniment? I’ve been intrigued with trying to do that the last few years.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Yep.

By the way, Caleb, have you tried your hand much at working up some solo vocal numbers with mandolin accompaniment? I’ve been intrigued with trying to do that the last few years.
    I have a few I do with vocals and mandolin - 'La Vie en Rose,' Chaplin's 'Smile,' the old nursery rhyme 'Lavenders Blue' come to mind. When vocals work with the mandolin, it works really well. When not it's usually too empty sounding.

For me, Caleb, Fall is a magical time drawing me outdoors to play my mandolins for all sorts of reasons. It's the end of all that heat that makes me sweat all over my mandolins when I play outdoors in the summer. It's the end of the harvest season, so I have more time to be outdoors playing. It's the time of year when the barn cats like to sit in the afternoon sun by the barn door, warming themselves it the heat that is generated there and giving me a feline audience for my playing. It's the time when the sheep barns are full of nice smelling hay which is wonderful to sit on when playing, potentially leading to an post-playing nap if nobody is around to catch me.

What I'm saying is, I'm with you. This particular season is my favorite for outdoor playing!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    For me, Caleb, Fall is a magical time drawing me outdoors to play my mandolins for all sorts of reasons. It's the end of all that heat that makes me sweat all over my mandolins when I play outdoors in the summer. It's the end of the harvest season, so I have more time to be outdoors playing. It's the time of year when the barn cats like to sit in the afternoon sun by the barn door, warming themselves it the heat that is generated there and giving me a feline audience for my playing. It's the time when the sheep barns are full of nice smelling hay which is wonderful to sit on when playing, potentially leading to an post-playing nap if nobody is around to catch me.

What I'm saying is, I'm with you. This particular season is my favorite for outdoor playing!
    Beautifully expressed! A kindred spirit for sure.

8. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Yes!

In the PNW here, for me, the summers are for hiking and backpacking! This year I tackled another PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) section, 65 miles- 4 days, and spent many afternoons hiking all over the South Cascades and i90 corridor, as well as many other outdoor activities.

Fall is a time for settling down inside, watching the North West rain with a cup of coffee or green tea and picking tunes from my favorite chair.

Happy autumn, happy picking!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Yes!

In the PNW here, for me, the summers are for hiking and backpacking! This year I tackled another PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) section, 65 miles- 4 days, and spent many afternoons hiking all over the South Cascades and i90 corridor, as well as many other outdoor activities.

Fall is a time for settling down inside, watching the North West rain with a cup of coffee or green tea and picking tunes from my favorite chair.

Happy autumn, happy picking!
    That's cool Zach,,I spent my summer on and off backpacking pretty much uncharted Adirondack wilderness...