Thread: Blue Heron cases

I was wondering if anyone had photos of thier blue heron cases. Feedback on these would be great too.

There was a thread some time back about them; it may have been a year or more, but the general consensus is that they are top of the line for that type of case. The materials are the best, with heavy duty fabric, heavy duty zippers and hardware, dense padding, and well-thought-out designs. When I see people packing $20000 instruments in a Blue Heron that tends to speak volumes.

Thanks for the feedback. Ive never seen one in person, so I wanted a chance to check it out before I put the order in.

thanks again

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

I had them make a custom case for my Grit Laskin octave mandolin and I am completely satisfied. Nice people to do business with and their product is first class.

Charles Johnson
    Owner
    Mandolin World Headquarters, Inc.

any picture of one of these heron cases would be greatly appreciated. Would you ever take it on a plane?

Why spend a lot on a mandolin case . Just buy a travelite. Man, what a cool case! Nick
    ntriesch

I have a Blue Heron A mandolin case and it is great. very protective and yet light and unobtrusive when I bring my mandolin with me on public transportation. I found the Calton case seems to freak people out a bit.

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

My Calton has gotten me a few weird looks when I carry it in public, especially after 9/11. People must think I am carrying a gun in it. It is really funny when I take it to Gibson in the Opry Mills Mall and then decide to walk around some stores with it on because I don't want to leave it in the car. People are just plain paranoid I think! Mandolins have never hurt anyone. I guess I understand the paranoia but it still makes me laugh from others' looks.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I have two Blue Heron bags; a black banjo bag for my Phil Crump B-II bouzouki, and a green bag for my Santa Cruz OM PW guitar. My wife has used a black Blue Heron bag for her custom-made bodhrán (Irish frame drum) since the late '90's and it was that one and how well it protected the drum thru our travels, that brought me to get the bags for my instruments.

When I was talking with Ken at Blue Heron abuot whether one of his stock cases would fit the zouk, or if he'd have to make one up special, he called Phil Crump and the two of them got together and tested the bags to see which one would work, or if the fit would be too snug to keep the instrument safe!

The bouzouki has been all over the States in the BH bag and I love it. I very rarely use the TKL hard case any more. The guitar went to Ireland (several times) in the Calton flight case (no other way!!) and friends let us store the Calton with them and I carried the guitar all over Ireland, in all kinds of weather, in the BH.

Ken is a great guy to work with, a good player and a generous supporter of indie artists on his radio shows, so I'm happy to endorse Blue Heron cases any time I can.

Now, having said that... I have a John Greven guitar that was made for me in '78, and it has been thru a lot, but is, to me, irreplaceable. For it, I have a TKL Zero-Gravity case, but I only use that for carrying the Greven around town. It doesn't go very far, but it's a jumbo, and moving it around with the big hard TKL is a bit much. The Zero-G jumbo is under $100 and much better for mobility than a full hard case.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

i've had one for two years now and am very pleased. as far as gig bags/soft cases go you can't do better IMHO.
    jd
    Proud owner of:

Bill Davis F5 #10502
    Martin 000-M