Thread: What is this? Gibson-ish Mandolin

Default What is this? Gibson-ish Mandolin

I can't work this out there is much that does not add up- dubious Gibson inlay, tailpiece cover, tuners, bridge etc yet the headstock shape is 1940s and it has the yellowing of an older instrument. I suppose it may have been meddled with and parts changed- a look inside for a FON might be helpful. I imagine it might be late 40s and the silk screen logo has been removed and replaced with that sub-standard inlay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-MAND...Cclp%3A2334524

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is this? Gibson-ish Mandolin

Yes it does look like Gibson work but the inlay, tuners, tailpiece are wrong. I'd say someone inlayed that after the silk screen went bye bye also?

I seen that one. You see the copy F5 ? At a F5 price? Theres quite a few oddities on ebay. Same with a Gibson A headstock pictured. But its not for sale. Just his bin for work on your item.

Teacher, repair person

If any of it came from Kalamazoo, it did not leave the factory with that finish or inlay.
    It may be a result of the angle of the photography, but the peghead looks large in proportion to the neck.
    But the pictures are too poor to say anything with any degree of certainty.

My guess is that at least some of the wooden parts were made by Gibson, but the instrument has been heavily re-worked, and not by Gibson.
    Not worth $1425.

And anyway . . . Although I have played a couple of A-50's that were decent enough, many of them were, in my opinion, weak instruments. At least some of the higher grade Asian instruments I have played were noticeably stronger.
    Last edited by rcc56; Oct-22-2020 at 10:59am.

Interesting. It's no longer an active listing. Although it doesn't state sold. Ah, went and clicked the "sellers other items" and nothing at all music related. This may have been a faked listing.

Besides the obvious, I notice the nut is twice as thick as it normally would be. And it does appear that two nuts were glued together and slotted. Then that makes me wonder about the truss rod cover being too far away. As the photos aren't great, could just be seeing what I want to see on that.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

The seller mentioned buying this with a whole load of violins and the odd banjo from an estate when I asked if there were any numbers inside it.

Currently says “sold”.

Yes, a "best offer accepted" and I would imagine he's happy to have sold it as it's a bit of a dog's dinner.

.... and I’m sure the buyer will be very happy with it (for now).