Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin to DADGAD

Default Re: Mandolin to DADGAD

As a guitar/bass player for around 50 years, IMO you should start with standard tunings and get some basic skills there. You have a vastly larger set of music that is intended to be played in standard tuning.

And agree on skipping the parlor guitar. I have yet to hear one that doesn't sound like a little box (which can be the desired sound for a certain type of music, but not in the general sense).

You can get some amazing quality for $300 in an acoustic guitar these days, especially for a starter instrument.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post

I was playing Blues and "Americana fingerstyle" guitar before getting drawn into Irish trad, and instead of exploring DADGAD I decided to focus on Drop-D tuning.......

Another advantage of Drop-D is that you don't need a capo.....

As a side comment, and this is just my personal feeling about DADGAD, I find many DADGAD guitar accompanists in Irish/Scottish trad very uninspiring. Not the masters like Tony McManus, or those like Pierre Bensusan who have fully explored the potential, but the so-so players who use the "modal" tuning's lack of a strong third interval as a crutch to strum bland, vague chords behind the melody..
    All very true!

It's the player not the tuning that really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    I've been using dadgad since age 14 - since first hearing LZ I. Your time is gonna come into Page's reworking of Black Waterside knocked my socks off.
    thanks for the other Led Zep DADGAD comments. Black Mountain Side was acoustic, Kashmir was electric.

Page called it the "CIA" tuning - Celtic, Indian, Arabic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    And agree on skipping the parlor guitar. I have yet to hear one that doesn't sound like a little box (which can be the desired sound for a certain type of music, but not in the general sense).
    I have several old parlors and a newer one, none of them sound like a box. They are loud, resonant and wonderful guitars. Yes there are cheap parlor guitars that sound fairly boxy, tho with the right strings they can sound much better. A good parlor guitar is very hard to beat unless you are laying the bass for a bluegrass band.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I don't know, but it seems like unless you want to concentrate strictly on irish trad it's kind of limited.

I've recently started messing with guitar more, and have gone in exactly the opposite direction, using P4 tuning. Symetrical, like my basses!

Thanks to all my Mandolin Cafe' friends for the excellent discussion. I learned more today on this post than from any other source. You folks are the BEST ! I am going to give it a lot of thought. Thanks again !
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Actually, DADGAD may have gotten it's start in Irish music, but it's definitely not limited to it. Over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum there are accomplished fingerstyle players who post beautiful pieces that are not the least bit celtic. Of course, many of them play incredible boutique $5k instruments (very skillfully and tastefully).

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Here's what the great Pierre Bensusan has to say.

I think I just want to listen to PB play forever. What a guy.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    ...Kashmir was electric.
    I play kashmir on acoustic ... sounds pretty cool on a big body12-string (in dadgad). When I expunged the last of my electric gear, I used to play a lot of my rock stuff on acoustic 12 strings, bouzouki...stones/keith riffs are great on reso.. (in "G")

10. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    I play kashmir on acoustic ... sounds pretty cool on a big body12-string (in dadgad). When I expunged the last of my electric gear, I used to play a lot of my rock stuff on acoustic 12 strings, bouzouki...stones/keith riffs are great on reso.. (in "G")
    Yeah! Keef's 5 string open G stuff!

My point was that "Kashmir" had an electric DADGAD part. But it does work well as an unplugged piece.

Another perspective on: Why some people need more...