Thread: Randy Wood's Music shop

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Randy Wood's Music shop

Been meaning to post about this for several days and keep getting side tracked.

I just spent a week + on Saint Simons Island on the southern coast of GA as a make-up vacation for our annual trip in May that got postponed/canceled. On my way back to North GA, I knew I'd be passing close by to Randy Wood's place so I decided to stop by and check it out. Since wifey and kiddos were staying on SSI with my in-laws a little longer, I was traveling by my lonesome, so it seemed like the perfect time.

It was definitely a cool place full of lots of vintage instruments and other cool stuff. I had hoped to get to meet Mr. Wood and see their work shop, particularly with my new interest in luthiery, but he was out and I didn't want to push my luck. The guy working the store was super nice and shared lots of great stories about all the big names who came through and had developed friendships with Mr Wood.

I also took the opportunity to play the Randy Wood Mandolins that were there in the shop... WOW!... There was a 2 point, an F and a really cool Octave. I am normally a fan of A's but that F really did it for me,... if I only had the $$$$$$! I also really liked the Octave but honestly, they all 3 played like a dream.

If you are ever in the Savannah, GA area, I'd recommend stopping by! I hope to have the opportunity to stop back by in May 2021.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	189342
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Randy Wood's Music shop

Never been to Randy's though I've been in the area numerous times. Savannah, Saint Simons, Jekyll, etal, sure is a beautiful area.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Fun! Was that a Gibson or “Gibson” F4?

I've been a few times, basically 'cause he made me an F 5 in 1993. It cured my MAS and has been a great mando for all these years. He is very approachable and the shop is fun. The workshop is also fun. Often in June or July he has sort of a festival where a bunch of us with his instruments show up and pick the snot out of them for a couple of days. I don't know if he did it this year because of the virus. Anyway, it's worth a visit if you're in the Savannah area.