Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Key of Bb

Default Re: Key of Bb

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    I know that in the Bb key, there is Bb, Eb, F. What other chords are in this key? What is considered the alternate chord?
    Are you sure you don't mean an "altered" chord? Which is a chord with a raised or lowered 5 th or 9th...

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Are you sure you don't mean an "altered" chord? Which is a chord with a raised or lowered 5 th or 9th...
    A very good question, but unless you're playing jazz or other genres with a wider harmonic vocabulary than most rock, pop, country and Bluegrass, , these are not common chords, beyond a V7+!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    The borrowed major II chord is a V of V or secondary dominant. I understand that it's easier to call it a II chord, like at a jam session, but technically it's a V of V.
    I do appreciate the lesson David and I'm sure you're 100% correct about that "II" chord being a "secondary dominant".
    I'm just afraid if I called for a "V of V secondary dominant" I'd lose my bluegrass street cred.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    We all do it. As I get older I find my wife and I getting into strange discussions where we both do things like that in a conversation and finding our discussion heading off into the twilight zone.
    Tell me about it, especially when coming at it from different musical directions.

My fiddler Significant Other always objects when I call the note on my mandolin or flute an Eb in Irish trad tunes. She says it's a D# and then we go round and round because "Irish" flute players always call it that. And don't even get started on what happens when "modes" kick in, and the key signature isn't what you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    In the key of C, you will find Bb way more than Bb7.

You also find the secondary dominant, which is D or D7. Sometimes a string of secondary dominants: E - A - D - G - C, or E7 - A7 - D7 - G7 - C
    Any number of artificial dominants, yes. In bluegrass probably triads, anything else they would usually be at least 7th chords, and often altered or even subbed. Bass players think of them as just dominant approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    My fiddler Significant Other always objects when I call the note on my mandolin or flute an Eb in Irish trad tunes. She says it's a D# and then we go round and round because "Irish" flute players always call it that. And don't even get started on what happens when "modes" kick in, and the key signature isn't what you think it is.
    On a flute, the Eb/D# requires the use of the same little finger key.

It's usually called "the Eb key"; however from a theory POV the name of the pitch depends on the key you are playing in.

In Cm, it's the minor 3rd, Eb.

In Em, it's a D#, the leading tone 7th.

in B major it's the major 3rd, D#.

Whistles and many Irish flutes are keyless, and the modal structure of the music as played in common session keys rarely requires Eb/D#.

And another way to explain it...there’s only one of each letter name in a scale in diatonic western music.

For example in the key of B, it would be B C# D# E....Not B C# Eb E..

9. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    And another way to explain it...there’s only one of each letter name in a scale in diatonic western music.

For example in the key of B, it would be B C# D# E....Not B C# Eb E..
    And the leading tone is A#!

11. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post: