Thread: Arlo Guthrie Retirement

Default Arlo Guthrie Retirement

Not quite sure where to post this so, if the mods would prefer it elsewhere, that’s fine by me.

https://www.arloguthrie.com/news/gone-fishing

Never did get to see him live!

2. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Default Re: Arlo Guthrie Retirement

Just read the article. He does sound like he's ready to retire.

I did see him actually. He appeared at a big pop festival here in the North Of Scotland called Belladrum.
    Excellent performer. Great stories (a big part of his appeal), songs and a better guitarist than I'd realised.

And I also saw him at an early Cambridge Folk Festival in England.

Enjoy your retirement. You deserve it.
    David A. Gordon

Having finished the article i am glad things worked out as well as they have for Arlo .... and there's his threat at the end to both give us a smile and let us know that though he won't be touring he'll be around. Arlo Guthrie is good people. Thanks Arlo and God Bless.
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

I was lucky enough to see him in an old theatre in Austin Texas in 1978, a warm and friendly show.

Is it still possible that he would get Huntington's , as he had thought back then, or has he dodged that one?
    Bren

Great reminder in this article as well re: recognising the signs of stroke: A few years ago I was having lunch at my workplace and my boss (who was 41 years old) came in to chat to me and after a minute or two she started speaking gibberish and seemed unaware that she was doing so. I immediately knew she was having a stroke because something similar had occurred to my sister when she was in her early 20's and it was only years later that we realised she'd had a mini-stroke due to an AV malformation on the side of her brain. Anyway, back to my boss - I had a co-worker call for an ambulance and got my boss safely seated while we waited for them to arrive. She thought that she was speaking perfectly normally and that we were all crazy to call the emergency services and initially refused to get in the ambulance with them! The doctor at the ER said that if we hadn't been there my boss probably wouldn't have realised she had had a mini-stroke and might've gone on to have a bigger one later that day.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

He has a good attitude, and is quoting Tom Paine.

I saw him live for the Rueben Clamzo tour (very late70's) and literally laughed till my cheeks hurt.

A class act.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Fortunate to see / hear Arlo in concert many years ago ! I went to a Beatles concert also in 1966 !

The nearest I got to see him was a few years ago in York (the old one not the new one!) but I missed it. I also turned down a ticket to see the Beatles live in Blackpool!

He is a lucky man and I wish him many enjoyable years of retirement. Got to see him and Pete decades ago in a wonderful venue in Iowa City, Ia. Went with my my duet partner and our wives. He is now been gone for a few years and this is yet another remembrance of him when I think of that concert. Enjoy this time Arlo.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

He sounds like he's trying to make lemonade out of the lemons he's been handed. Great artist!

Saw him live in the late 60’s, then again, maybe in the 90’s, playing in a white tux with Boston Pops. He knew how to entertain, for sure.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Hopefully the regular hoot night at The Guthrie Center will continue -- I wanted to go during a visit to the area a couple of years ago but the church building was closed for renovations back then. Anyone ever been there? What was it like?

I was so sorry to read this, especially after seeing virtually the same news from Keith Jarrett the day before. Age is catching up with too many good folks.

Blog Entries

Good old Arlo. I hope he enjoys retirement. He's worked hard.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Arlo came to Rockwell Hall at Buffalo State College quite often. Always a great show. Will miss his concerts but his music will live on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    Age is catching up with too many good folks.
    Yep.

And us too.......
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Arlo. This guy has brought so much joy to my life. I think I've been to 6 concerts of his. Carried his guitar into Shaboo (Willimantic, CT) once while helping unload his bus, late to the concert. Sang his "Wedding Song" to my bride at our wedding. It was about a year ago that he was in Spokane. Glad I made that show.
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

Was fortunate to see Arlo in Great Falls, Montana a few years ago. I knew this day was coming, just didn't know when.
    Thanks Arlo!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Glad to know Arlo is still around. Hope he has a lot of happiness in this latest era of his life.

BTW, Arlo found a new passion in photography some years back, and I’ve enjoyed his images posted in Facebook over the past few years. I have a feeling we’ll still be seeing some of that being done.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

21. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Two strokes since 2016, per the Rolling Stone article. Perhaps little taps on the shoulder, reminding of one's mortality, and the need to throttle back and enjoy what's left of life.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I got to see him with as the young'un with Pete Seeger, as the bandleader with Shenandoah, and as the patriarch with his family band. He was great in every role.

The last time I saw him, he played "Alice's Restaurant" in the middle of his set. I think it was the 40th anniversary of the recording. Well into the song, he lost track of the lyrics, so the band just kept looping the verse while he tried to remember. He then turned to his kids and asked them for a cue, and they didn't know where he was. If you're just playing the music for the song, it's pretty easy to space out. He then said, "I know the words to MY dad's songs!" It might have been genuine, or just part of his stage patter, but it was pretty funny.

I still play my vinyl copies of Washington County and Hobo's Lullaby a few times a year. They always put me in a great mood. "I don't need no diamond ring. I don't need no Cadillac car. Just want to ..."
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I got see him around 1990 when he played at George Washington University. James McMurtry opened and was amazing by the way. After the show, my buddy and I hung around the tour bus just a bit, and Arlo very graciously came out and chatted with us for five minutes or so. He's as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet.

He played Alices Restaurant for the first time he'd done it live in years that night, which was extra cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    I got to see him with as the young'un with Pete Seeger, as the bandleader with Shenandoah, and as the patriarch with his family band. He was great in every role.

The last time I saw him, he played "Alice's Restaurant" in the middle of his set. I think it was the 40th anniversary of the recording. Well into the song, he lost track of the lyrics, so the band just kept looping the verse while he tried to remember. He then turned to his kids and asked them for a cue, and they didn't know where he was. If you're just playing the music for the song, it's pretty easy to space out. He then said, "I know the words to MY dad's songs!" It might have been genuine, or just part of his stage patter, but it was pretty funny.

I still play my vinyl copies of Washington County and Hobo's Lullaby a few times a year. They always put me in a great mood. "I don't need no diamond ring. I don't need no Cadillac car. Just want to ..."
    Just wanna drink my ripple wine down in the ligthning bar.