Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Jerry Jeff Walker

Default Re: RIP Jerry Jeff Walker

Mississippi You're on my Mind was by Jesse Winchester I think.
    Bren

2. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    A great talent lost, like so many this year.
    Thanks for the tune Mark, I was not familiar with it. I am very familiar with Roy Smeck ie "The Wizard Of The Strings" but had never heard of the "Stage Delux" mentioned in the song.

Last edited by Charles E.; Oct-26-2020 at 8:17pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

4. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Strange or not, I just started trying to learn mr BoJangles on guitar and sing it a few days ago, before mr walkers
    Passing. I always like David Bromberg version, and stories of playing with Jeff. Especially, how they played mr bonjangles every night, and how
    He never got tired of it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhLiDgW42vI
    Kentucky KM-270, 2018 Gibson F5-G, 1924 Gibson A, Eastman ER-M, Loar LM-700

Copied from the Mr. Bojangles Wikipedia article:

Walker's song has been recorded by many popular artists: Kristofer Åström, Chet Atkins, Hugues Aufray (French version, 1984), Harry Belafonte, Bermuda Triangle Band, David Bromberg, Garth Brooks[citation needed], Dennis Brown, George Burns, JJ Cale, David Campbell, Bobby Cole, Edwyn Collins, Jim Croce[citation needed], Jamie Cullum, King Curtis, Sammy Davis Jr., John Denver, Neil Diamond, Cornell Dupree, Bob Dylan, Bobbie Gentry, Arlo Guthrie[citation needed], Tom T. Hall, John Holt, Whitney Houston, Queen Ifrica, Billy Joel[citation needed], Dave Jarvis, Elton John[citation needed], Frankie Laine, Lulu, Rod McKuen, Don McLean, MC Neat, Bebe Neuwirth, Harry Nilsson, Dolly Parton[citation needed], Johnny Paycheck, Esther Phillips, Ray Quinn, Mike Schank, Helge Schneider, Nina Simone, Corben Simpson, Todd Snider, Cat Stevens[citation needed], Jim Stafford, Jud Strunk,[5] Radka Toneff, Bradley Walsh, Robbie Williams, and Paul Winter.

A rich and varied panoply! Have to assume that royalty checks kept Walker from any financial uncertainties...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. Oct-28-2020, 6:51pm

Reason
    Per ccravens request removed

8. Oct-28-2020, 7:11pm

Reason
    Per ccravens request removed

N/m
    Last edited by Caleb; Oct-28-2020 at 10:15pm.

Been listening to old JJW cassettes while on the treadmill for the last few days (and howling along when I can breathe). Today it was the Gruene Hall album. Heard some tasty mando that jumped out on Rodeo Wind and looked up who it was. Johnny Gimble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4l2X93NWJo

Like some here, I grew up on Jerry Jeff. My parents had some of his albums, and we all enjoyed them equally. Then I went to college in Austin, and it seems like I saw him live dozens of times. On some nights, the best sets he and the band played were the ones where he was so smashed or stoned he could hardly remember the lyrics. They still played like there was no tomorrow. I remember standing in line at my local pharmacy/check-cashing store, having him tell me horror stories about his latest trip to rehab for cocaine, never seeming worried about tarnishing his reputation as a Texas treasure, all while making me laugh and cry at the same time. He could tell a damn good story just as well without music. I was real sorry to hear he was gone, but happy he’ll never be old or feeble in my mind, as I quit watching him live years ago, and still picture him as a friendly guy who almost made me wet my pants with laughter in the cashier line. I’ll listen to his version of Guy Clark’s Desperados Waiting For a Train, and be thankful for all the great times I had while this man’s music played. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank Russell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Copied from the Mr. Bojangles Wikipedia article:

Walker's song has been recorded by many popular artists: Kristofer Åström, Chet Atkins, Hugues Aufray (French version, 1984), Harry Belafonte, Bermuda Triangle Band, David Bromberg, Garth Brooks[citation needed], Dennis Brown, George Burns, JJ Cale, David Campbell, Bobby Cole, Edwyn Collins, Jim Croce[citation needed], Jamie Cullum, King Curtis, Sammy Davis Jr., John Denver, Neil Diamond, Cornell Dupree, Bob Dylan, Bobbie Gentry, Arlo Guthrie[citation needed], Tom T. Hall, John Holt, Whitney Houston, Queen Ifrica, Billy Joel[citation needed], Dave Jarvis, Elton John[citation needed], Frankie Laine, Lulu, Rod McKuen, Don McLean, MC Neat, Bebe Neuwirth, Harry Nilsson, Dolly Parton[citation needed], Johnny Paycheck, Esther Phillips, Ray Quinn, Mike Schank, Helge Schneider, Nina Simone, Corben Simpson, Todd Snider, Cat Stevens[citation needed], Jim Stafford, Jud Strunk,[5] Radka Toneff, Bradley Walsh, Robbie Williams, and Paul Winter.

A rich and varied panoply! Have to assume that royalty checks kept Walker from any financial uncertainties...
    Saw JJW at a concert at a fish farm in mid Minnesota years ago....no idea of the year. Was called Trout Air. He comes out on the stage with one other guy. Introduces him......then says he has a jet now to go play concerts and that the guy is his accompanist, pilot and golf instructor. The he said Mr Bojangles paid for it all. Don't know if any of that is true but I heard it myself and it made an impression.

14. The following members say thank you to ajh for this post:

Blog Entries

I always thought of JJ Walker as part of the Dirt Band. I guess I was thinking of Jeff Hannah-- who was in the NGDB. The Bojangles songs is one of my favorites to play and sing with on the mandolin. A great cover that the Dirt Band did with it! Being from Long Beach, CA, and hanging out in the 70's at the same guitar store, the Long Beach McCabes, this announcement brings back memories of outlaw Country and all of us that were playing country rock -- that term is unrecognizable in the halls of country music in these times. Blue Grass is where you get the acoustic instruments more often than not. I love Walker's stuff and the LA Freeway is a wonderful song for those of us from there, and to those from all points north and east (I guess that's everyone)!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Being a Texas boy I always thought of Jerry Jeff was thought as a deity. I heard him so many times. The most memorable was in a bar in Amarillo during a blizzard with John Inman on guitar. The Mount Rushmore of Texas music would be Townes, Willie, Waylon, and Jerry Jeff. RIP buckaroo!!!
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

17. The following members say thank you to goose 2 for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by goose 2 View Post
    Being a Texas boy I always thought of Jerry Jeff was thought as a deity. I heard him so many times. The most memorable was in a bar in Amarillo during a blizzard with John Inman on guitar. The Mount Rushmore of Texas music would be Townes, Willie, Waylon, and Jerry Jeff. RIP buckaroo!!!
    There’s a unique annual festival in Abilene called Outlaws & Legends run by Mark Powell, the largest single stage festival venue that I know of. The MO there is to have a hot current headliner on Friday night and a “deity” on Saturday night. I was involved there for a few years and got to meet quite a few heroes. Merle Haggard, Jerry Jeff Walker, Charlie Daniels, Leon Russell. Willie was scheduled this past Spring - cancelled of course. He’s on the bill for next Spring. Gary P. Nunn and Billy Joe Chavers were regulars each year.

Many of us at the cafe are of an age to have grown up listening to giants in all genres of music, having lived through the maturing of radio and recording industry and the advent of television, it’s sad to see so many entertainers, as well as old friends, fall to the ravages of time, but inevitable. There’s a song in it somewhere.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

BTW, a Mount Rushmore of Texas music without Bob Wills? Nah. I’d have to have Bob, Willie, and Stevie Ray up there. I’d have to think about the fourth one. Maybe Townes, maybe Blind Lemon.

- YouTube Stuff

These guys hoped to make a list of the top 10 Texas musicians, but they couldn’t do it. They settled for attempting to “rank” the top 100.

https://www.centraltrack.com/100-to-81/

- YouTube Stuff

I've been a Texan my entire life and I've been often amazed that the average Texan (at least in my experience) has never heard of Jerry Jeff Walker, Townes, Billy Joe Shaver, Robert Earl Keen, but most are familiar with Lyle Lovett, SRV, and Jimmie Vaughan. Even as big as these guys were (are in the case of Keen), it's still a very small slice of the world that likes this type of music. I think more people would like it if they were exposed to it, but even in Texas these guys rarely made it to the radio.

23. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Robert Johnson’s only sides were cut in San Antonio and Dallas; he played the street corners of Deep Ellum. Blind Lemon Jefferson was a Texan, a fixture of Deep Ellum. Lead belly and Lightnin’ Hopkins, both Texas boys. Just a few of the early blues influencers. My Mount Rushmore would need a blues rep, a Texas swing rep, a country rep and a rock rep, maybe. It’d be a tough project. As much as I love JJW I don’t see him in the top four for all time. But no disrespect to JJW, his music was really important in my own life. I’m a Louisiana migrant to Texas, 36 years a Texan now. I agree with Caleb, few people know the breadth and depth of Texas music. But music is everywhere.

- YouTube Stuff

25. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

For many years I was in Houston a few weeks a month. I listened to KHYI then and streamed them online. They used to play local Texas folks like Robert Earl Keen and Terry Allen and all on a regular basis. I used to listen to discover new artists.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

27. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    For many years I was in Houston a few weeks a month. I listened to KHYI then and streamed them online. They used to play local Texas folks like Robert Earl Keen and Terry Allen and all on a regular basis. I used to listen to discover new artists.
    Some of the smaller stations around here (DFW) will play this stuff, but the big stations that everyone listens to (or used to, not sure about radio now) wouldn’t play it. With this kind of music it’s all about the song: the words and the meanings contained there in, like literature or poetry, where the popular stuff is about a catchy melody and the quality of the singer’s voice. You have to actually sit down and listen to stuff like Townes or Guy Clark, where with George Strait or Kenny Chesney, you sing along or dance. No harm done. It’s all about what a person likes.

29. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Mark I agree with your Mount Rushmore lis. Like Waylon used to sing Bob Wills is still the king!!!
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Ray Benson (Asleep At The Wheel) is one like Ramblin’ Jack or JJW ... a Philadelphia guy who fell in love with the music of Bob Wills and made himself a Texan.

- YouTube Stuff

Blind Willie Johnson should also be on the list. Played in Deep Ellum too. Must make a pilgrimage to Ellum one day.

33. The following members say thank you to Bill Findley for this post:

Jimmy Buffet is putting out a new album during COVID - “Songs You Don’t Know By Heart” - basically a lot of lesser known songs his fans chose.
    Anyway, there’s a series of YouTube videos with him alone playing these songs and reminiscing about his early days....and moving to Key West with JJW. They were roommates for awhile and wrote together over the years.

Kirk

35. The following members say thank you to tiltman for this post: