Thread: Christmas Eve Is Coming, Anna

Default Christmas Eve Is Coming, Anna

Does anyone have this tabbed out? For those who aren't familiar with the song, it's a fiddle tune by Peter Ostroushko from the Peter O. and Norman Blake album Meeting On Southern Soil (a fantastic album). He has the tune written out in standard notation for fiddle on his web site, but I have about as much chance of winning the lottery as I do of learning to read music any time soon...thanks

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Default Re: Christmas Eve Is Coming, Anna

Jim Richter has an excellent version on his YouTube Channel that I've referred to many times. It's a beautiful tune.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

Blog Entries

You can take your standard notation and write your own tab. I have a couple of tools and have done it myself a couple of times.

Use the Scale and fingerbaord on the sheet I've uploaded on Keyscale chord.pdf. Then you can take your standard notation and change the note from the standard notation (don't for get the sharps or flats at the front of each line) and convert them to tab. I've also added a music sheet.pdf that has just the tab lines in this thread.

Note on the Key scale sheet, I've marked 1, 2, 3, 4 over the staff where the open strings on the mandolin are. Fret 7 on one string is the same as an open string on the next highest pitch so you can use an 8 on the D string or a 1 on the A string.

This is a rewarding exercise and not as hard as it seems. It will help you learn the neck and your ear will help you if you tab a mistake (often from mising the sharp or flat at the beginning of each line).

Jamie

EDIT: When I click on my attachment the PDF doesn't open. Use the right click SAVE TARGET option if necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KeyScale Chord.pdf  
    Last edited by JEStanek; Nov-18-2008 at 9:10am. Reason: Help in downloading...
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cantrell View Post
    Jim Richter has an excellent version on his YouTube Channel that I've referred to many times. It's a beautiful tune.
    Thanks, Steve. You can see a lot of what I'm doing since the camera's on the left and right hand. I'd advocate just figuring it out from the video, as it's not a hard tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTauu3aXXp8

Jim

Thanks Jamie for the links to transferring that over. I'm excited to try it out, it seems like it will be a good learning experience for me.

Jim, I saw your video on YouTube a while back and it is what got me wanting to learn the tune on mandolin, a great job on this tune and all of your tunes on YouTube. I don't get internet at home (just at coffee shops and at work), so following along would be a bit tough. I don't know of any way to be able to save a YT video.
    Thanks again guys,

Trey

2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Young View Post
    ... I don't know of any way to be able to save a YT video.
    Thanks again guys,

Trey
    If you have the most recent version of Real Player a little window pops up above YouTube videos giving you the option to save them.
    See the screen shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RealPlayer.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	36418  
    Bill Snyder

that's great, thanks Bill.

2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Hey there, I just stumbled on this sweet tune. Anyone know if it’s public domain?

Quote Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post
    Hey there, I just stumbled on this sweet tune. Anyone know if it’s public domain?
    It doesn't show up in a search of public domain songs, so I suspect the rights still belong to Peter O.

https://www.pdinfo.com/