Thread: President Garfield's Hornpipe - Writing a variation to the melody

Default President Garfield's Hornpipe - Writing a variation to the melody

Hello there!

I've been having a blast for the last 5 weeks taking online classes from Mr. Dominick Leslie. He's not only a great player, but also a very good teacher!

I wanted to share this week's assignment: Learning President Garfield's Hornpipe melody and writing a variation. It's been a challenge to try to find a balance between mantaining the original melody enough so you can still here some of its main motifs while, at the same time, adding not only embellishments but also some ideas of my own...

All in all, a very fun exercise and I'm guessing that an awesome way to improve one's abilities that can ultimately be transfered to improvising.

Hope you enjoy it!

Isaac

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Isaac Casas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: President Garfield's Hornpipe - Writing a variation to the me

Wow! Good work there, Isaac!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I like the swing variation in the A part and the B part goes everywhere: cross-picking, minor key, etc. Very cool. Nice to see that you are are not afraid of B-flat. I have been digging lots of B-flat tunes lately. Hey, Kenny Baker and lots of my favorite Missouri fiddlers like it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Wow! Good work there, Isaac!
    Thank you! By the way, Rob, I've been using your ebook as a reference guide for my mandolin since I started playing -around 6 years ago. It's been an invaluable source of practical information. Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I like the swing variation in the A part and the B part goes everywhere: cross-picking, minor key, etc. Very cool. Nice to see that you are are not afraid of B-flat. I have been digging lots of B-flat tunes lately. Hey, Kenny Baker and lots of my favorite Missouri fiddlers like it.
    Good ears! That's why I think writing a variation to a fiddle tune -versus improvising- is a great exercise. I force myself to think which musical elements I want to be using to give it more "colour", so I go back to my musical toolbox to see what could fit in there. And this is one of the perks of having an actual class with a teacher and some other students, as opposed to "pace-yourself courses" that I've taken before: I have a due date when I have to show what I've been working on, so I actually work much more. Obvious, but true -for me, at least.

6. The following members say thank you to Isaac Casas for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Casas View Post
    Thank you! By the way, Rob, I've been using your ebook as a reference guide for my mandolin since I started playing -around 6 years ago. It's been an invaluable source of practical information. Thanks for that!
    Well said! But I am not Rob. I just think every player should have a good idea of how their mandolin works and how it can be adjusted, even if they do not plan on doing those adjustments themself. Especially us Newbies who may have a just-bought mandolin that badly needs a setup.

Back on topic: I agree about variations vs improvising even though I am not a competant improviser. I use Tabledit a lot to help me figure out just how I want to depart from a given score or tab sheet and make my own way of playing a tune.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Well said! But I am not Rob. I just think every player should have a good idea of how their mandolin works and how it can be adjusted, even if they do not plan on doing those adjustments themself. Especially us Newbies who may have a just-bought mandolin that badly needs a setup.

Back on topic: I agree about variations vs improvising even though I am not a competant improviser. I use Tabledit a lot to help me figure out just how I want to depart from a given score or tab sheet and make my own way of playing a tune.
    Oh, sorry, I assumed you were him by your footer!

Nice playing & nice to see you here Isaac!

Hope you're doing all ok there.

Greetings from Amsterdam, Flip