Thread: Newbie to this board...but with a TG under construction

Default Newbie to this board...but with a TG under construction

Thought this might be of interest for TG folks. Vinnie Mondello (TX) is working on finishing a project begun over 30 years ago by NY luthier Carlo Greco for Tiny Grimes back in late 1988. Tiny died in early '89 and the body sat unfinished until I bought it in 2015 from Carlo's estate after his passing. I've got a couple of other instruments Carlo built from that same period (including a LP-style solid body tenor) & all are great so I'm looking forward to this one being equal - if not better!

http://www.4stringbanjos.com/bartas-...o-tenor-guitar

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Re: Newbie to this board...but with a TG under construction

Nice one Bob - real nice to see an archtop oval hole! Not many of those around. Keep the pics coming
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

3. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

I remember Carlo from NY days. My old teacher Roy Smeck used Carlo as his repairman of choice. Great that you got that tenor and equally great that it will come to life and the connection to Tiny Grimes is cool too. What is the scale length?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hi Jim - I was a pupil of Roy's too (late 70's -early 80's), but I had been introduced to Carlo earlier by my first banjo teacher, Jim Harkins. I've got one of Roy's old Martin style O soprano ukes (one of two he had pickups in).

The Mondello/Greco tenor has a 22" scale length which will extend just past the cutaway & very slightly lap over the oval sound hole. I'm interested to see what kind of acoustic sound comes out but also am having a K & K TG pickup installed inside.

7. The following members say thank you to SunnylandBob for this post:

fox 

I didn't want to sound too spaced-out with my last comment about "seeing what kind of acoustic sound...", so I will atone for it (musical pun intended) with a few pics of the Carlo LP-type solid body circa 1983-84:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG-LP front.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	772.2 KB 
ID:	189677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG-LP headstock.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	846.4 KB 
ID:	189678 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG-LP body.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	440.5 KB 
ID:	189679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG-LP back.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	707.2 KB 
ID:	189680

oh that's sweet. i would've like a more showy finish to go with the headstock, but I bet that plays well and sounds great

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

For sure, Rob! Carlo did a group of "natural" top solid body instruments at that time. A (rock) band mate of mine at the time bought one of three 6-string solid bodies Carlo built which were a made of single piece - headstock to endpin - with built in circuitry for distortion & more. I think I got the natural top because it was quicker for Carlo to finish and because I loved the look of Dave's axe so much.

It's clear as a bell all the way to that extra high "A" at the top fret...and gets the attention of Fender Strat players when you can outdistance them by more than a 5th.

BTW - I'm grooving on The Model Folk - Yesss!!

Quote Originally Posted by SunnylandBob View Post

BTW - I'm grooving on The Model Folk - Yesss!!
    Aw thanks Bob.

re guitars - like most of us, I'm making a virtual list in my head of what I'd have on a build... but I do love a semi with a bigsby and a could of nice p'ups, especially at the neck for those sweet neck sounds I just lack a lot of the specific knowledge and more importantly, the cash now...!

My band's website